U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM

18,728 posts, read 23,317,671 times

Advertisements

went to the doctor last week and my blood work was excellent except that my vitamin D was a little low. I should take 800-1000 mg of vitamin D once a day. What do you think could be the cause? Not enough milk?BTW my cholesterol was 154.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM

18,728 posts, read 23,317,671 times
I just read online that milk, OJ, cereals with vitamin D and sunlight can help.I don't drink much milk except in my coffee and OJ i drink occasionally.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,405,194 times
I got the same result from my doctor recently and I live in a very sunny and outdoorsy state. I just keep taking the supplements. You can also add certain items to your diet such as fish (tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines), mushrooms, eggs.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 PM

18,434 posts, read 31,216,556 times
My Vit D is usually so low it doesn't even show up. Waaay below normal range. I normally take 50,000iu per week for several months and then I am back to normal.

Right now I am taking 2,000 per day.

Sunlight is an excellent source but then we have to worry about the skin damaging our skin.

If you are in any pain, normally having your VIT D at the appropriate level will make a world of difference as well...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM

8,876 posts, read 14,602,482 times
Many, many people today have low D. Theories abound, but some of the more reasonable seems to be that even if we spend time in the sun we (properly) use sunscreen and wear sunglasses and hats, have shades/tint on our windows, don't eat the foods that contain it. Also some medical conditions are associated with low D. It's a chicken-or-egg matter. Do people have thyroid issues because of low D or do the issues cause low D? Same with depression and other mental disorders. But they usually go hand in glove no matter. Hypertension; osteoporosis; diabetes; psoriasis; celiac, kidney and autoimmune diseases, and multiple sclerosis also may be associated with low D.

Studies show that elders have fewer falls and better cognition if their D levels are high. To me, that alone is enough to make sure mine are appropriate. Plan ahead!

The good news is: supplements work and they aren't too expensive. Giant bottles in every dosage imaginable are quite reasonable at Costco and discount stores.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM

18,434 posts, read 31,216,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Many, many people today have low D. Theories abound, but some of the more reasonable seems to be that even if we spend time in the sun we (properly) use sunscreen and wear sunglasses and hats, have shades/tint on our windows, don't eat the foods that contain it. Also some medical conditions are associated with low D. It's a chicken-or-egg matter. Do people have thyroid issues because of low D or do the issues cause low D? Same with depression and other mental disorders. But they usually go hand in glove no matter. Hypertension; osteoporosis; diabetes; psoriasis; celiac, kidney and autoimmune diseases, and multiple sclerosis also may be associated with low D.

Studies show that elders have fewer falls and better cognition if their D levels are high. To me, that alone is enough to make sure mine are appropriate. Plan ahead!

The good news is: supplements work and they aren't too expensive. Giant bottles in every dosage imaginable are quite reasonable at Costco and discount stores.
Yep, goes in hand with m RA

Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM

10,885 posts, read 12,377,377 times
Dietary Vit D won't do it! You have to supplement. When I lived in the sunny desert, my level was low. I started taking 5000/day and dropped/maintained at 2000.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM

5,753 posts, read 10,663,126 times
Seems it's pretty common for many of us to be short on Vitamin D. Mine is, too, though I get outside for at least an hour/day. My doctor has recommended I take 4000 mg a day. It's OTC, not by prescription.

With age, especially, we find our levels low. This article is pretty comprehensive on why this happens--and what to do about it:

Vitamin D Deficiency - Health Problems Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency

Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM

13,253 posts, read 39,254,248 times
There's "a little on the low side" and there's "serious deficiency." The OP says his doctor is recommending only 1000 units per day. That's not a lot, it doesn't mean he's dangerously low and needs to go nuts on supplements or obsess with the types of supplements.

Really, he can get 1000 units of vitamin D from a brisk 45-minute lunchtime walk, with his head, neck, and arms exposed to the sunlight and increasing the foods high in D vitamins, in his daily diet.

And yes, he -can- get vitamin D from his diet, I don't know why anyone would suggest it won't "do it." If he had to get many thousands of units per day, to treat a medical deficiency, then yes I'd say supplements would be necessary. But he isn't needing to treat a medical deficiency. His levels are slightly low, and his doctor only recommends 1000 IU, so his food and sunlight should be sufficient.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

10,885 posts, read 12,377,377 times
Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?

Sunny Climate Kids Low in Vitamin D

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ugh-deit-alone

All 3 articles point to it being very difficult to get enough D through diet and/or sunshine. 40-75 % of people are still deficient despite eating foods with Vitamin D and getting sun exposure. Even living in sunny Georgia, children are deficient in D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness