Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you still have your Appendix?
Yes 32 78.05%
No 9 21.95%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Hi, I still have my Appendix at 47 years old.

Scientists Find Reason For The Appendix; Protects Good Germs

Washington D.C. (AHN) - Researchers at Duke University Medical Center say that the function of the frequently discarded appendix is to produce and protects good germs for your gut. This theory is explained in an online edition of the Journal of Theoretical Biology. According to the study, there are massive amounts of bacteria in the human digestive system. Most of it is good and helps digest food. But sometimes this bacteria dies off or is purged from the intestines.

When the diseases such as cholera or dysentery cause bacterial purging, the bacteria in the appendix are safely harbored. According to the researchers, the appendix's job is to "reboot" the digestive system when that happens.

It's a common notion that vermiform appendix is a vestigial organ and many doctors believed it had no function. It is a blind ended tube connected to the cecum, from which it develops embryologically.

The term "vermiform" comes from Latin and means "wormlike in appearance". The cecum is a pouch-like structure of the colon. The appendix is near the junction of the small intestine and the large intestine.

Scientists Find Reason For The Appendix; Protects Good Germs | October 6, 2007 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008741729 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 03:21 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I had one surgery, and I hoped that the doctor did not take out my appendix, but I never asked. Just that I have known all of my life that there is a reason for the appendix. Now I have been proven right. Thanks for the article as I have always wondered. I can see why you have so many rep points.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 AM

417 posts, read 1,281,731 times
I still have mine, although I tried to get rid of it two times in the past.

When I was only 25 I had to have my gall bladder removed. That was back in '78 and the surgery still involved a long incision (mine was 8" long). I asked the doctor to take my appendix at the same time so that I wouldn't have to worry about appendicitis in the future. The doctor prowled around my insides and could not locate my appendix--so he stitched me back up, my appendix intact.

Seven years later, I needed another surgery that involved a seven inch incision from the belly button down. I figured that surgery was so much closer to the home of my appendix that surely it could be found. Once again it escaped detection. I was stapled shut with that wily appendage intact.

If I should ever get appendicitis I am going to be sooooo upset!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:58 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
The only people i've ever known to have their appendix removed was my Dad and one of my brothers: They were both heavy drinkers.
No one else in my family have had theirs removed, and I still have mine. And i'm keeping it.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
I separated from my appendix at the ripe old age of 14. I had a severe attack of appendicitis and from an initial mis-diagnosis the thing almost ruptured.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I had one of those that got infected, or whatever appendixes do. Out it came.

this is interesting. waaayyyy back then, it was thought to be part of the digestive tract that was used to digest the really rough stuff like grasses and leaves from when our primitive ancestors lived on such as that. Then as diet improved, the appendix sort of lost it's reason for existence. things like that take millions of years.

The Husband had his out. False alarm. It turned out that he had a kidney stone. His blood work wasn't right for it to be the appendix, but the pain was in the right spot and the surgeon didn't want to take the chance. The kidney stone turned out to be one of those weird ones that take special dyes to show up on X-rays.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 PM

181 posts, read 1,076,599 times
Still got mine. 34 years.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:10 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Yes, still have it

Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 AM

69 posts, read 345,241 times
Both my twin sister and my husband had to have an emergency appendectomy in their young teens (11-13). Both of them strangely have regular and uncomfortable stomach problems, in comparison to the rest of us... I found this report quite fascinating!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Still have my Appendix at 54 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness