Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They are just fighting the forces that want to demonize a product without justification, like the "pink slime" brouhaha.
The grocery store where my Dw works store policy is that no more than 25% of their '100% Pure beef' will be slime.

If you paid for a product labeled 100% pure beef, and found later that it was 25% slime, you think that is silly brouhaha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The grocery store where my Dw works store policy is that no more than 25% of their '100% Pure beef' will be slime.

If you paid for a product labeled 100% pure beef, and found later that it was 25% slime, you think that is silly brouhaha?
Actually, "pink slime" is 100% beef. There is no evidence that there are harmful health effects from using it. I have no problem eating it --- and no, I have no connections to the industry.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Actually, "pink slime" is 100% beef. There is no evidence that there are harmful health effects from using it. I have no problem eating it --- and no, I have no connections to the industry.
I see. With no evidence of harm, therefore it is 100% and we can ignore the added ammonium hydroxide and citric acid. because it is 'pure'.

Like saying that your income is totally tax-free right? So long as we ignore the taxes taken out. Right?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I see. With no evidence of harm, therefore it is 100% and we can ignore the added ammonium hydroxide and citric acid. because it is 'pure'.

Like saying that your income is totally tax-free right? So long as we ignore the taxes taken out. Right?

The ammonium hydroxide is applied as a gas and removed as part of the process. It is not poured into or mixed with the beef. Ammonium hydroxide is used in many other foods. If you do not want to eat beef processed with it, then you need to throw out chocolate, cheese, baked goods, jams and jellies, sports drinks and beer.

Questions and Answers about Ammonium Hydroxide Use in Food Production

You can buy citric acid to use in making candy:

What Is Citric Acid - Definition and Uses of Citric Acid - Citric Acid in Candy Recipes

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Yummy, yummy, nothing like some processed scraps of beef trimmings and fat, treated with ammonia to kill those nasty bacteria that they're loaded with...yeh, you call that 100% beef?..Have I got a burger for you. "Pink Slime" was originally used only in pet foods, and NOT approved for human consumption until 2001 when the U.S. began adding it (as a filler product) for ground beef.....I'll pass, when I eat beef, it ain't gonna be scraps and trimmings.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yummy, yummy, nothing like some processed scraps of beef trimmings and fat, treated with ammonia to kill those nasty bacteria that they're loaded with...yeh, you call that 100% beef?..Have I got a burger for you. "Pink Slime" was originally used only in pet foods, and NOT approved for human consumption until 2001 when the U.S. began adding it (as a filler product) for ground beef.....I'll pass, when I eat beef, it ain't gonna be scraps and trimmings.
Fine.

Actually, the only legitimate reason not to eat it would be not liking the taste of the product.

No reason to try to make it a health issue when it isn't.

You can get E. coli from beef without "pink slime" in it, you know.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Grandpa Pipes...no matter what GM foods says, they can't deny that 95% of people want to KNOW if their food is genetically modified or not...the fact that they're fighting this labelling tells me there must be something wrong with it.
Of course "they" can deny that "95% of people" want to KNOW if their food is genetically modified or not.

Statistics are fun. Let's play:

Assume "people" refers exclusively to human beings.

Assume there are 2 billion people occupying this planet. I don't know if that's right or not, but we're just assuming.

Assume 20 million people are under the age of 12. That's 10% of people. No idea if that's accurate or not, but we're making up statistics as we go along.

If 100% of people under the age of 12 were not asked about their opinion of GM food, then that means only 90% of people are able to weigh in on their opinion of whether or not they care about GM food. So that right there - is proof that 95% of people do not want to KNOW about GM food.

Assume another 20% of people don't speak your language. So, you can't poll them, because you wouldn't understand their answer anyway. We're talking 30% of people who now cannot be included in the total "people who want to KNOW." So now we're down to 70% of people who want to KNOW.

Now let's talk about people who are over 12, who speak your language, but are too busy to answer your poll. Call it a nice even 25%.

We now have only 45% of people who want to KNOW.

That means - the number of people who want to KNOW, are now in the minority.

That also means - using your logic -

That 55% of people do NOT want to KNOW.

And out of respect for the majority of people who do NOT want to KNOW, let's not tell them, mmkay?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
WE are not assuming anything AnonChick, that's YOUR game, and it makes NO sense at all..quite REDICULOUS at best.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
So where's your source for your claim that 95% of people wan't to know, specifically, whether or not their food products have been genetically modified? I ask, because GM foods are pretty popular, they fly off the shelves *especially* right before a storm. All those canned goods containing GM nutrient-fortified veggies, frozen foods with GM meats, produce from Monsanto-supported hothouses...they're profiting pretty darned well.

So judging by the *results,* I'd have to assume that either 95% of people really don't care, OR - 95% people care so much that they go out of their way to buy GM-foods on purpose, because they WANT GM foods.

So - if you have some valid non-Mercola source to explain where you got your statistic of 95%, I'd love to see it.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
The pink slime is acgually pure beef but it has been treated by methods I find objectionable. Once I have unpacked I plan to grind my flank steak myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-28-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness