Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

OK I get it, most are Moms and that is a great work week but I have been looking for quite some time to find a good primary care or internal medicine female doctor who works 5 days a week. Does this mythical creature even exist? I live in an area of many many physicians so there is not a shortage of docs just females who work full time. And these are not docs who work a few days in one location and some days in another. In fact even male doctors don't work in 1 place 5 days a week. Is this the trend in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I haven't noticed that but it does annoy me when local clinics are only open the same hours that I work. This means I either end up nearly 2 hours late starting work or I have to leave half an hour early and then hope/pray that Dr isn't running late when I get there. I realise I'm probably asking a lot but it would be so wonderful if just one clinic had late opening or weekend hours! Yes I know urgent care clinics do that but you can't make an appointment there and you never know which doctor you're going to get.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I have found a female internist who works the whole work week and fits me in whenever I call. She also listens to what I am saying and is very friendly and I love her to pieces.

I had so much going on one time when I went in to see her I broke down in tears and she gave me a hug.

Now to find a Rheumatologist who listens!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
It's taken my spouse 4 months to get into a PCP in a metro near here! Even here, it's at least a month or more. I went through lists and lists and none are accepting new patients. Hard to believe really. Other state I lived in it was a month and most accepting new patients--was a major metro.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have found a female internist who works the whole work week and fits me in whenever I call. She also listens to what I am saying and is very friendly and I love her to pieces.

I had so much going on one time when I went in to see her I broke down in tears and she gave me a hug.

You are lucky you found a doc you like. i live in a town with a major teaching hospital and of course a great med school. Many times it seems these newly minted docs join a local practice for a year or two to get some experience and then off they go. I've lost 2 docs in 2 years who moved away. So when I find a new doc I will flat out ask them if they plan to stay in the area for more than a year or two. Do you think anyone will be honest.

After my docs left from the same clinic I got in touch with the doc who owns the business. he sees patients ONCE A MONTH! Who would want a doctor like that? Obviously he is more of a business man than a doc. That once a month day is for overflow and he really doesn't have any regular patients. When I asked why my 2 docs left he said they wanted full time slots and of course more money but giving them full time slots would mean cutting hours of the other docs so they found other more lucrative clinics to join. Guess I will have to go to Duke or find a male doctor.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
My PCP has cut his hours back and he only works from 7am- 11 am.

One doctor I needed to see, it took me 3 months to get in to see. He works in a different city every day.

The area I live in we have a lot of doctors that only work certian places on certian days, what gets me is the one that had 2 locations in the same city..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari

You are SO lucky to find one that listens!! I am so tired of doctors that act like I haven't a complaint in the world when I have told them I have a major problem.

I recently dumped one of my doctors and am planning on dumping another one soon. I am tired of doctors that do NOTHING but reschedule you to come back so they can do nothing again except bill your insurance. (They sure don't listen or try to resolve your problems)

Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Don't know if it matters or not but when I moved to a new state, the practice I found has a Chinese doc, a Korean one, and 2 from India. They all did their residencies in the USA and all are board certified. They accept Medicare and new patients. I really liked the one I saw, she listened and she personally called me with my lab results. I am theirs!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-21-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My PCP has cut his hours back and he only works from 7am- 11 am.

One doctor I needed to see, it took me 3 months to get in to see. He works in a different city every day.

The area I live in we have a lot of doctors that only work certian places on certian days, what gets me is the one that had 2 locations in the same city..

You are SO lucky to find one that listens!! I am so tired of doctors that act like I haven't a complaint in the world when I have told them I have a major problem.

I recently dumped one of my doctors and am planning on dumping another one soon. I am tired of doctors that do NOTHING but reschedule you to come back so they can do nothing again except bill your insurance. (They sure don't listen or try to resolve your problems)
Yep, I am very pleased with her. I've even told her she is my favorite dr. The last time I saw her we were discussing one of my issues and she was telling me that as a dr, she has to listen to what I am saying as well as using her exam and labs etc to come up with a complete dx. Most drs do not take into consideration what you tell them.

I was talking with a new Rheumatologist the end of last month. I have RA and FM and at the time, I had been on prednisone for more than a week or so and was not feeling much if any pain. Before that I was in a flare and it was awful.

He told me I was in remission or I never really had it. Then he told me that yes, I had pain, but it was in my head.

I am fed up with drs telling me how I feel. I don't go to drs asking for pain medicines. I ask them to try and treat the root of the problem so that I don't have to worry about the pain.

I am going back to my first ever Rheumatologist. I can't get in to see her til December, but she is worth the wait. I'll have to drive three hours to get there but that is three hours I don't mind driving, if it gets me better care than what I've been getting here.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

After my docs left from the same clinic I got in touch with the doc who owns the business. he sees patients ONCE A MONTH! Who would want a doctor like that? Obviously he is more of a business man than a doc. That once a month day is for overflow and he really doesn't have any regular patients. When I asked why my 2 docs left he said they wanted full time slots and of course more money but giving them full time slots would mean cutting hours of the other docs so they found other more lucrative clinics to join. Guess I will have to go to Duke or find a male doctor.
My husband's doc at Cleveland Clinic took 3 months to get into-- he doesn't see too many patients. He's a professor of Medicine so maybe he's teaching...or whatever. But, the business of Medicine is getting more and more evident and rather scary to me.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Sounds like me waiting to get in to my old Rheumies. Four month wait. But....I know she is a great dr. I actually used to work for the group she is with and they would not see their employees so....I quit my job there. I haven't seen her for 4 years and she was new then, I hope she hasn't changed the way she practices and treats..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness