Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times

Advertisements

I had a mammogram about 3 weeks ago. And I have to say I had PMS when I went in for this one, which my breasts are usually different. I told the girl that too so they knew at the time. They called and said they seen calcification on one of my breasts and wanted to do another mammogram with additional views. The letter they sent me states "there is an area that requires further evaluation".

I went last week for another mammogram, and it hurt 10 times as much as the original one. I might be exaggerating a bit, but it was painful to me. My doctors office called and said that the results showed the same as before (calcification), and she was referring me to a breast surgeon to get a needle biopsy done. She said she's sending the referral in the mail along with the mammogram results in the mail, I guess to take to the referring doctor.

Has anyone ever had a needle biopsy done? I've know a couple people who had it done who said it was painful, one was just last year (she had breast cancer). But then I read others opinions on the internet and they say it isn't painful, just discomfort. I have no pain or anything associated with this so-called area of concern.

And also my concern, wouldn't this leave scarring internally? I guess I'm just paranoid as my mom had a bruise on her breast, she had breast cancer and is a 20yr survivor. I'm just afraid of them messing with it and it's nothing, then it turns out to be something a year later because of them going in, if you know what I mean. And I always thought they did an ultrasound too, but they haven't. Is this common?

Last year was my first mammogram, and there was nothing wrong. And now I'm going through this already.

I guess I can wait and ask the doctor all these questions, but I'd rather have real people's experiences rather than one to tell me what I "should" feel without the experience.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Bruising does not cause breast cancer. The biopsy itself will not cause breast cancer. So you can stop worrying about that.

Any biopsy could cause subsequent mammogram to look different, but the docs reading them can account for that when they read follow up films. They always compare new mammograms to old ones. A needle biopsy will cause fewer changes than a surgical biopsy.

You need the biopsy. There is no other way to know what the calcifications represent.

There is no way for anyone else to predict what your experience will be like with regards to pain. Some people find root canals painful. I slept through one. Just let the person doing the biopsy know you are concerned and you want him to take his time and make sure the anesthetic is working before he does the actual biopsy.

And for everyone's information, the best time to have a mammogram, if you are still having periods, is the week after menses. Mammograms are uncomfortable and doing it when you already have sore breasts does not make sense.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks for your reply suzy_q2010. I know I'll get it done, I'm just real nervous. Anything new I'm nervous about. I've had enough root canals, and I'd rather have another over this.

The nurse actually told me that while I was there, about coming in after to do a mammogram. I wasn't as sore as I usually am that's why I went in, and besides the fact that I didn't think it would make a difference on the imaging (if it does at all I don't know). Maybe if they would have relayed that to me beforehand I would have changed my appt.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
You're welcome!

I think you'll do just fine with the procedure, and I'll hope for reassuring results!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I've had a surgical biopsy, which made me sore for a few days. Turned out the lump was actually three lumps, one behind the other, and the doctor took out all three since she was in there anyway. It was done under "twilight" sleep, in which I was, for all intents and purposes, passed out.

I was scheduled for a needle biopsy at a subsequent time, and they were going to do a "conscious sedation" for me because I'm such a huge baby when it comes to the *thought* of pain. Pain itself, I can handle well enough, but the idea of being in pain gives me panic attacks. Turned out they couldn't find the lump once the time came to prep me, so they sent me home. They didn't find it the following year so that was the end of that.

You can always ask for sedation, but just remember you'll need someone to drive you home after it.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Thanks for your reply AnonChick. I think I'm probably like you and it's the thought of pain, and not knowing how much of it and how long is what scares me. I know once I get through it I'll know I probably could have handled it without being so scared.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
You can ask them if it's permissible to take a xanax or valium a half hour before the procedure is scheduled. I know they're good with that if you're getting an MRI, but obviously a needle biopsy isn't the same thing as an MRI.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Has anyone ever had a needle biopsy done? I've know a couple people who had it done who said it was painful, one was just last year (she had breast cancer). But then I read others opinions on the internet and they say it isn't painful, just discomfort. I have no pain or anything associated with this so-called area of concern.
I've had a needle biopsy under similar circumstances as you - mammogram showed micro calcification. Like you, I had no pain associated with the area of concern - in fact, my breasts didn't feel or look any different than before.

As for pain during the biopsy - you're right, it's different for everyone - just because you're nervous doesn't mean you'll have more pain, though. I was anxious and, although I wouldn't want to do it again, it wasn't so bad and it wasn't particularly painful. For one thing, they usually inject lidocain or some other numbing agent and can administer more as needed (it can give you a head buzz - just fyi). Apparently some people say that part burns but to me it felt like cool water and was rather pleasant. I had a radiologist, her surgery fellow, and two rad techs. One of the radiation techs had her hand on my back the whole time. It was soothing and helpful. They talked to me periodically to make sure I was doing ok. For me, I didn't have pain so much as being aware of a deep probing/pressure sensation. Another thing to be aware of is that the machine is sort of loud. That didn't bother me - it was rhythmic.

For me it was helpful to know ahead of time what to expect (how long it would take, what would be happening, what position I'd be in, etc). Usually you lie down flat on your stomach while your boob is in a vice (sounds worse than it is). You have to stay very still in that position while they target the exact area. That typically takes a minimum of 20 minutes - your doctor can indicate what you should expect for your individual situation. One important prep they should tell you about is to be free of all NSAIDs (aspirin, etc) for about two weeks prior to your biopsy. The reason is because they thin your blood and can cause you to bleed and bruise more. Immediately after the biopsy they'll have you flip to your back and they'll apply pressure to the biopsy site. This is a key to stopping the blood flow, reducing bruising, and preventing uncomfortable swelling. My tech got up on the table and kneeled onto me with half her body weight for like 10 minutes. It was the best thing she could have done - be sure they apply firm pressure for you. I had no swelling or bruising after that - but had both and pain and worse after my MRI needle biopsy when I drew the short straw and got a crummy tech. They'll probably tell you to bring a front closure sports bra for afterwards - and they'll give you little ice packs to keep in it against the site. That also helps reduce pain, bruising, swelling. You'll probably wear the sports bra all day and swap the ice pack out for 20 minutes on/2 hours off. Take someone with you for a ride home - you won't want to be jostling around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
And also my concern, wouldn't this leave scarring internally? I guess I'm just paranoid as my mom had a bruise on her breast, she had breast cancer and is a 20yr survivor. I'm just afraid of them messing with it and it's nothing, then it turns out to be something a year later because of them going in, if you know what I mean. And I always thought they did an ultrasound too, but they haven't. Is this common?

Last year was my first mammogram, and there was nothing wrong. And now I'm going through this already.

I guess I can wait and ask the doctor all these questions, but I'd rather have real people's experiences rather than one to tell me what I "should" feel without the experience.
It's common to go from mammo to stereotactic needle biopsy (or other needle biopsy) without an MRI. It's also common to think that the needle is going to drag and drip cancer or other bad stuff through the rest of your boob. It doesn't do that. Like you, my mom had breast cancer (she's in her 80s now). Until we know what causes and how to prevent breast cancer, early detection is the key. Chances are good that your calcifications are benign. If not, though, the vast majority of cancerous calcifications, caught early, are 100% curable.

Keep us posted and I'll be thinking all the best for you.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Fine needle aspiration is a biopsy procedure to investigate a lump in the breast. I have to go back, and have this every year after my annual breast exam. The first time I was sweating with fear, now I'm used to it .... I am very large breasted and have dense tissue .... Are you similar ? That may explain it ...

Don't worry.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
calcifications were found on my mammogram a couple years ago and they never mentioned a biopsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness