U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 AM

39 posts, read 123,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Wow, I can't believe that your father is that age and never been to a doctor, that is amazing. Is he having any pain or unusual symptoms? He probably should go to a doctor and get his blood pressure taken, get some blood work, and have a colonoscopy done.
I don't know if he has any symptons because I'm quite sure that even if he had, he wouldn't complain. That's what worries me most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I use to work with a woman like that. She was in her 60's and did not go to a doctor or a dentist ever! She had never been married and had no children,so she didn't have to go to an ob doctor either. I couldn't believe it! She also was NEVER sick and had perfect attendance.
Oh he goes to the dentist like he said. One day he had such a bad pain that now he goes every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
A good friend of mine recently passed at 66 years old. Never had any serious illnesses, only usual aches and pains of getting older. Wasn't one to go to the doctors until about seven months ago. At that time was diagnosed with high blood pressure, immune anemia, diabetes, COPD and kidney disease. Died this month.
I'm sorry for your loss. The only thing I notice in my father is shortness of breath whenever he has to do something heavier. He keeps swimming though, so I don't what to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
JCatarre...he's a very, very healthy mature man...let him make his own decisians, he's probably healthy because he's so pro-active in his own health care, and if he wanted to see a doc I'm sure he would....and so far he's doing really well, why worry about what may, or may not come about..it's HIS life, and he should live it any way he wants.
Of course I let him make his own decisions. It's his life and he obviously does what he wants. I'm just worried because he's my only parent left and my mother died when she was similar circumstances and was way younger. I just don't want to see him becoming seriously impaired because of a stroke or cancer in his last years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
high blood pressure- the silent killer.

I can understand somebody not going to the doctor by age 40 or 45 but at his age he should be proactive and have some simple tests done. you would be doing him a favor to encourage him. is he afraid? some men are.

If he won't go to the doctor at least send him to an attorney to make sure his will is up to date. don't mean to be cruel but ignoring basic good check ups is ridiculous.
I suppose he thinks that if he feels fine, he's fine. He might have some blood or urine tests done, anything bigger than he'll probably refuse. I haven't spoken with him but I know how he's like.

His will was made a long time ago, right after my mother died, so that isn't an issue.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM

35,106 posts, read 43,443,935 times
I would say if he is 69 years old and he chooses not to go to the doctor then leave him alone he will go to the doctor when he chooses to go.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM

971 posts, read 1,263,080 times
I am closer to 80 than I am to 75 and I don't do doctors. I rarely get sick and don't believe in prentative medicine. I have seen reports on television over the last 10 years that 40% of the people in hospitals are there to be dried out from overly prescribed medications. Surely that must tell you something.

Let the father live his life as he wishes, he has being doing very well without your help. Enjoy him while he is still with you. IMHO

Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM

7,201 posts, read 12,758,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
high blood pressure- the silent killer.
My dear friend Lilian hadn't been to a Dr since she had her 4th and last child 22 years before. She was one of those people who didn't believe in Drs and never complained about her health. One morning she felt very sick after a sleepless night and called her daughter who lived nearby. Her daughter came, took one look at her and rushed her to the ER. She died at the age of 62 only seconds after they got her on the ER gurney of cardio-pulmonary arrest. Apparently she had high blood pressure for years and her arteries were badly clogged and her heart enlarged. What killed her the Drs believed, was bacterial walking-pneumonia combined with the other health issues. She had to have been feeling ill for awhile but said nothing. All she said to me a few days before she died was that she felt very anxious and was short of breath. She though she was having anxiety attacks because of her daughter's impending wedding. She may have lived had she seen a Dr and been treated for the HBP... I miss her still.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:45 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,488,439 times
I hate to state the obvious, but death is a part of life.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,711,317 times
Let him do whatever gives him peace of mind -- a condition he is probably used to.

I knew a lot of people like that, I used to do paramedical exams for life insurance companies, I examined a lot of farmers in their 60s who never even took an aspirin in their life. Human bodies, if cared for and not abused and have sound genetic base, do not need a half a million dollars in medical attention to be kept alive and well.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 14,247,327 times
I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously he has a great constitution. And just as obviously, something is going to go amiss eventually. imcurious actually has a good point. We are all going to die eventually. Some have a greater acceptance of this than others. On the other hand, a long period of debilitation and discomfort can come before we die and almost nobody is OK with that. I guess it all depends on how he feels about this. Is he comfortable with letting nature take its course, or is he starting to have misgivings and wondering what may be going on with his body, unbeknownst to him? I'd have a talk with him, not pushing him to do anything. Find out if he has any worries about his future health. If he does, since going to the doctor is completely foreign to him, he may be a little afraid of going. Hospitals often have health fairs where you can get bloodwork, blood pressure checks, and other screenings. If he kind of wants to know more about what his health status is, he might be willing to get his feet wet with this. He could always try to find a doctor who emphasizes lifestyle and diet changes when needed and appropriate, before resorting to prescriptions and procedures.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 AM

15,838 posts, read 33,178,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would say if he is 69 years old and he chooses not to go to the doctor then leave him alone he will go to the doctor when he chooses to go.
I could not agree more. And sometimes, ignorance is bliss anyway. I'm not sure going to doctors and having conditions diagnosed really helps that much. I may get flamed for saying that, but it's the way I feel. Doctors and exams cause a lot of stress for many, and often treatments and medications do little to improve quality of life. But it is an individual's decision to make. Understand I am NOT saying people should not go to doctors, just that each should decide for himself/herself if they want to go, and/or accept treatment for any condition diagnosed.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM

I realize you're mostly right. I was going to speak with him about this but I called it off. He was probably going to tell me to stop bothering him anyway.

However, my mother is always in the back of my mind and I surely wouldn't want him to go through the same thing.

Thanks for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness