U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,225,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But it is broke, that lack of symptoms only mask that.

Great if it out right kills you, but do you really want to spend the next 20 years drooling in your lab, crapping your shorts and leaving a train of urine when ever you move? Wishing you were dead is worse than being dead, and utterly stupid when a pill a day can prevent either.
The studies that were quoted said there were no difference in outcomes.
I will wager there are lots of people who have taken many pills per day and still are in the mess you state.
There are no guarantees that a pill a day will cause a person to avoid the inevitable.

I don't see doctors as money hungry. I see them as very much wanting to alleviate human suffering. They try the best they can with the tools that they have. They are, at the end, only human like the rest of us. I'm sure that it is frustrating for them to get a patient who will not cooperate, but again, it is our life and our decision, isn't it?

Sometimes the side effects of pills, or combinations of them, cause side effects worse than the problem that they are supposed to be addressing.

I read something about cholesterol lowering drugs. If you have not had a cardiac event you are just about as likely to derive benefit from them as you are to have negative side effects from them. The good and the harm balance each other out. You may take them and be the one in so many who actually has a prolonged life because of it, but you have the same chance of having your life shortened by them.

But, if you already have had a cardiac event, there is definitely a statistical benefit in taking them.

Most doctors, when your cholesterol hits a certain level, will ask you to take them.
It's your body. It's your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 PM

13,202 posts, read 16,525,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The old adage applies here,"if it ain't broke don't try to fix it".
If he goes to a doctor now with no symptoms of anything wrong they'd have a field day wanting to do tests and scare him about maybe finding something wrong. Greedy doctors today.
nitrams right, and Asheville Native, I have a relative who's been led to believe that a mammography every year is necessary....she's had no cancers, but the three times doctors wanted to do biopsies have left her breasts disfigured and scarred...how's that for "preventive" medicine?..never mind the anguish of waiting each time for results.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM

23,035 posts, read 48,950,871 times
Breast cancer is an overdiagnosed ailment, I am positive and have been saying such for over 20 years. All these young women losing their hair, radiation, death. It is unnecessary.

Just saw an article in yesterday's paper - 30% - 50-70,000 cases a year - of breast cancer identified on mammograms do NOT need treatment. Usually they remain encapsulated/confined and go nowhere.

Quote:
Up to one-third of breast cancers, or 50,000 to 70,000 cases a year, don't need treatment, the study suggests.

Study finds mammograms lead to unneeded treatment
Confirms what I've always known. Last mammogram I had was in 2004 - probably have had only two-three my entire life. I am now almost 71. No breast cancer in my family anywhere. No way would I be undergoing chemo, radiation or surgery at my age. Many people believe these encapsulated cancers can be squeezed into your system during a mammogram. Last mammogram I had, because of odd tissue on the film, was a nightmare. If I hadn't had cancer when I walked in there, the mammogram could have triggered it with all the squeezing, radiation. Procedure took over and hour. A nightmare. Never again.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM

681 posts, read 1,078,555 times
Health check ups are mostly useless. Statistics are made to convince us that nobody is healthy, drug companies say "Thank you."

My grandmother went to the doctor very regularly, she took 10 pills a day, did every kind of exam you can imagine. Health problems kept increasing. She had all the care you can think of. One day she had a stroke and died 2 days later.

My grandfather is 86 and has never had any kind of check up in his life. He has never done anything as simple as measuring his blood pressure. Never took a pill in his life. He goes horseriding every day, works 10 hours a day on his new book and still has time to take care of his 5 cars that he loves.

He's obviously upset because he was left alone after 58 years of marriage.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,447,051 times
Leave your father alone. I'm early 60s and I stopped mammograms in 2008 after two benign surgical biopsies and numerous callbacks that only subjected me to more radiation. I don't do bone density tests because I'll never take the gastric-disturbing prescriptions. I do go for a yearly exam but I call the shots and I say 'no thank you' a lot. I have a cardiologist but I have to say, the only time I have symptoms is in the weeks before and after my exam from the stress of it. If it's not broke then don't fix it.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM

681 posts, read 1,078,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Leave your father alone. I'm early 60s and I stopped mammograms in 2008 after two benign surgical biopsies and numerous callbacks that only subjected me to more radiation. I don't do bone density tests because I'll never take the gastric-disturbing prescriptions. I do go for a yearly exam but I call the shots and I say 'no thank you' a lot. I have a cardiologist but I have to say, the only time I have symptoms is in the weeks before and after my exam from the stress of it. If it's not broke then don't fix it.
This.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 AM

168 posts, read 282,315 times
The amount of money wasted on useless health check ups in unbelievable. Leave the man alone. He knows better than anyone and he's keeping himself active instead of wasting time in doctors.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 AM

4,120 posts, read 4,968,021 times
I had a great aunt who wouldn't go to doctors, and she was a nurse! She had skin cancer on her face in her 80's so was dragged to the doctor to have it removed. Otherwise, healthy and she died at 95.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM

168 posts, read 282,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I had a great aunt who wouldn't go to doctors, and she was a nurse! She had skin cancer on her face in her 80's so was dragged to the doctor to have it removed. Otherwise, healthy and she died at 95.
The people that go less to the doctors are the ones that live longer.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,185,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCatarre View Post
My father is 69 and he has never been to a doctor in his whole life. He doesn't take any medication and has never done any tests/exams.

He never has any apparent health issues apart from the occasional common cold. He has never smoked and barely drinks any alcohol (only socially and always just a little bit of wine). He doesn't leave for work before taking a 45 minute dip in the pool at home. He has been very fond of swimming since I have memory.

He eats a more or less balanced diet. He likes soup and grilled fish and I'm sure the housekeeper (a wonderful lady who has been there for over 20 years) makes him eat his vegetables. She's a great cook. But he can't resist cakes and sweets nonetheless.

I know health care consumerism is a big problem but that's definitely not his case. My only concern is that despite the swimming, his belly keeps getting bigger. Apart from that, I can't forget that my mother also appeared to have the strongest health until she started coughing blood and died 7 months later of lung cancer at just 51.

Do you think I should suggest him to check at least the most basic things or is it pointless if he seems okay?

P.S. Ironically, he goes to the dentist every year for a check up because that's "advised".
wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness