Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,165,941 times

Advertisements

Ever since being a couple days shy of turning 12, I first started eating the same amount as my father or more (this is when my mother stopping differentiating our plates and served us the same) and on buffets I would eat 4 plates, 2-4 bowls of soup, a very large portion of desserts (to the point there was hardly any space left), soda and finally my fortune cookie.

Everyone by then, even all the male members were long stuffed by the second plate. Somehow, if I'm really hungry, it seems like my system reacts like a man's stomach.

One time I had a large lunch at 12 PM and then after coming home from work at around 3 PM, I ate again.

Right now I could eat again but don't want to gain pounds since it's very late already (though I'm kind of hungry). Currently I'm at 140 Ibs and have stayed there and 5'7. So what's the deal with me? Do I really have a man's appetite/stomach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
I'm not a real doctor, i just play one for Halloween...

But if I were you, I'd get a very thorough physical checkup. It's not normal for people to want to eat again only 3 hours after eating a full meal unless they are doing hard physical work. And it's not normal to eat that much and still maintain a moderate weight

Your apparently very high metabolism could be "normal," and just unusual, or it could be a sign of some underlying health issue, like a thyroid problem. My recommendation is to consult a health care professional to get to the bottom of this.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
I agree with OpenD, you should talk to your doctor. Couple of questions, are you really hungry, is it a bad habit you have, or are you just eating out of boredom? Also, do you drink a lot of liquid? Lots of people confuse thirst with hunger.

I'm assuming you are very young. When I was young I could eat a lot too, (although not that much) and stayed slim. Once I began to age, and my metabolism began to slow, it started to get ugly. I wish now I'd paid better attention to how much I was eating when I was young.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
Been there done that... sounds like me actually.

When I was 13/14, at a buffet, I ate wayyy more than any of my family members (all of them & we are known to be a family of "sharks"). I did their record of 13 rounds of stacked plates. Enjoyed that much.

I also happen to have a high metabolism that I remained skinny even though I out-eat them (then; even now, I am still not heavy, only "plump" as my hubby would say & that is because I haven't been exercising much...).

I still can outeat & outdrink my hubby anyday... but he really does not eat too much (just normal male portion).
I can "out lift" & "out work" my hubby on certain weight / training machines too... if looking for a reason to "out eat".

I think every humans are just different... as to health issues, I am pretty healthy as can be with very little problems (know how people get sick from flu every year / allergies etc... I suffer very little from that, seriously will be the absolute last to fall sick in my family).

So... unless you have a problem of genetic "overweight" problems, or underlying health issues (see dr. for that), eating as a teen like that even up to 20 (s) I think might not be a "problem" for some people.

~healthy 40 (+/-).

P.S. Also do check for "worms" / "parasite" if you don't think it is normal....

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM

577 posts, read 992,283 times
Some people just have high metabolisms especially when their younger. I had a few friends that were thin as rails, but could clean out the buffet when we went. We would watch them with awe, wondering if they had a hollow leg where all the food was going. I don't really think it's all that unusual.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Ever since being a couple days shy of turning 12, I first started eating the same amount as my father or more (this is when my mother stopping differentiating our plates and served us the same) and on buffets I would eat 4 plates, 2-4 bowls of soup, a very large portion of desserts (to the point there was hardly any space left), soda and finally my fortune cookie.

Everyone by then, even all the male members were long stuffed by the second plate. Somehow, if I'm really hungry, it seems like my system reacts like a man's stomach.

One time I had a large lunch at 12 PM and then after coming home from work at around 3 PM, I ate again.

Right now I could eat again but don't want to gain pounds since it's very late already (though I'm kind of hungry). Currently I'm at 140 Ibs and have stayed there and 5'7. So what's the deal with me? Do I really have a man's appetite/stomach?
High metab-- NOT ruined the typical way with like females: early dieting.

Enjoy! Eat!

Old 10-20-2012, 02:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I ate the same way through my mid 30s. I could and did, ate everything. I never went over 110 pounds.

Now in my mid 40s I need watch what I eat - my metabolism has slowed way down.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM

741 posts, read 1,678,757 times
Not sure how old you are, but I have always eaten WAYYYYYYYYY more than anyone that I have ever met..
I stayed under 130, and for me 130 is a size 3 as I have a large bone structure and muscle mass.. Anyway..one day I turned 40 and everything changed..I could no longer eat without gaining some weight! I started eating more normal sized portions and became full!!

I think that age plays a large role in what we can eat and how much..
Attached Thumbnails
Why do I eat more than my father, ex bf or other male members?-amt_aceventura.gif  
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 12:04 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I weigh 185 lbs and eat 3 squares daily and that is supposed to be considered normal for my size. My wife weighs exactly 100 lbs, has all her adult life, and eats 4-5 times a day as her metabolism is high and she burns off the food rapidly. Her food intake is the same as mine She gains no weight. And the doc says that is normal for her too.
OP check with your doctor, he/she can evaluate your condition and you may discover you have a high metabolism rate and nothing to worry about. If it's discovered that it's not a metabolism problem then the doc will prescribe treatment for you.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Ah the good old days. I remember when I could eat anything and everything in sight and not gain a pound. I just look at it now and it attaches somewhere forever. Oh to hell with it. That chocolate chip cookie was good. I think I'll have another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness