U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM

13,967 posts, read 13,421,959 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have lost loved ones who chose Palliative Sedation when they were confronted with a terminal illness? I am researching this as an option should I be diagnosed--trying to decide if I just want to go out in an unconscious state rather than lingering in consciousness as I wait for the end to come.

I'd be very interested in hearing how they and their loved ones coped while they were in this state i.e. were they comfortable at the end, did it make a difference in the level of success of their hospice care being comatose rather than being conscious, did they choose water or IV/water or nothing administered, etc.

Any info offered is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,814,970 times
Unless there is a lot of pain, most people at the end will spend the day sleeping. There's little or no difference between being comatose and sleeping.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,502,356 times
I doubt any doctor will order conscious sedation except when you are having a medical procedure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 PM

13,967 posts, read 13,421,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I doubt any doctor will order conscious sedation except when you are having a medical procedure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I'd never heard that term before, Belle. Thanks for mentioning it. It might go by another name, "twilight" though I'm not sure.

Quote:
Conscious Sedation
A minimally depressed level of consciousness induced by the administration of pharmacologic agents in which a patient retains the ability to independently and continuously maintain an open airway and a regular breathing pattern, and to respond appropriately and rationally to physical stimulation and verbal commands. Conscious sedation may be induced by parenteral or oral medications or combination thereof
Actually, the form of sedation I was referring to is where you are rendered comatose in, say the last week or few days before the expectation of the end depending on the progression of the disease. The point being that, rather than being awake but relaxed and free of pain, the patient is put into unconsciousness so that he or she is not aware of impending death.

Oregon and Washington, being the only two states to pass "Death with Dignity" laws would, I assume, have doctors who are more compassionate about this type of choice, especially in light of the fact that people who choose this route aren't looking to commit suicide, usually for spiritual reasons. Woody Allen once famously said, "I have nothing against death. I just don't want to be around when it happens."

I can relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness