Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times

Advertisements

I don't see how anyone could be offended at the OP's post - they're right. Most Americans ARE big. That's just the facts! I love America, but there are a lot of lazy gluttons in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
BS to the crap people spew in threads like this about it being too expensive to eat healthy. It bloody well isn't. Infact if people really don't have much money, as in post World-War-II days, they'll be thinner, due to not eating very much. Also, "unhealthy" sugary, fatty foods are much more expensive than healthy fresh groceries, not ones all wrapped up in plastic. It's the lamest and most pathetic excuse, grow up and stop using it. .
I think what people mean is it's more expensive to eat ORGANIC not 'healthy'...for crying out loud, most of the homemade, healthy foods I ate as a kid were what my mother used to call 'Peasant food' like pasta with peas, beans and rice, tuna tomato sauce with noodles, potatoes and eggs.

People are referring to trying to grocery shop at Whole Foods-type places, which is ridiculously expensive.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM

317 posts, read 576,266 times
The US isnt the only country with fat people. Theyre all over really, like in Europe and Asia. While I was serving in Korea i saw plenty of fat koreans, then I saw fat people in Japan, and UK, hell even in Kuwait.

So what country are you from?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
The US isnt the only country with fat people. Theyre all over really, like in Europe and Asia. While I was serving in Korea i saw plenty of fat koreans, then I saw fat people in Japan, and UK, hell even in Kuwait.

So what country are you from?

Mr. Li: Most of the Americans alive today were born during WWII or later. We really haven't had either food shortages or widespread financial crises until very recently. We've also had antibiotics and, overall, better medical care and more access to it than previous generations ever dreamed of. And there are food stamp programs and WIC and whatnot, too. So, naturally, with all of that working against us, along with a shift to more sedentary occupations, it's much harder to remain thin and malnourished. Also, overfed children = fatter adults.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Hmm..

Where are you from, Phil Li? You must be really small..I mean tiny.. to post such a question..

......By the way..how would like a foreigner to come to YOUR country, use your resources, and start talking about how SCRAWNY the kids are in your country?
Heh ...... yep.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Li View Post
What is the issue. ... the first thing I noticed about Americans is how big they are.
Uhmmm .... Just hang around a while longer Phil !

You get there, whether you like it or not !

I am from your area, and I am a small guy, yet I am 30 lbs overweight ... after living in the USA for over 40 years

If you want to stay like you are now, lay off of all soft drinks, quick snacks, and any fast food !
Eat what your Mother used to feed you, which was probably way less unhealthy than what people eat today in the USA ...

In that last sentence, I wonder if you can leave out the word *unhealthy* and it would still make sense !

Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Li View Post
I see a lot of fat women but overall I see a lot of fat American men and women and this has to be the first time in all of my world travels that I have ever seen fat kids, like American kids.

What is the issue. I came here to go to Temple Uni for my PhD and the first thing I noticed about Americans is how big they are.
Have you been to Europe? England? Germany? It's not just Americans who have fat people.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Bad food (contaminated, additives, hfcs, etc)
TV/Internet
Lack of balance in life

Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
In every country, you'll find fat people. Why is that?

And in every country you'll find very skinning undernourished people. Why are Chinese so skinny and unhealthy looking? Why are Africans so dark?
Why do so many Indians have black hair???!!!!!OMG IT'S A CONSPIRACY

Or, "America su**s, thread #134,973 on CD"...

Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Because bad food is cheap & healthy food is expensive. So the poor are fat & rich are slim. The lifestyle is sedentary & there is too much dependence on cars & not on walking (because there are NO sidewalks in most towns). So most of us are living in a box (home-car-office) & eating cheap greasy food. It needs a complete lifestyle change to become thin, healthy & maintain it for life. Its so much more easier to pick up a donut or burger round the corner than shop for fresh veggies or fruits frequently & prepare nutritious meals everyday. We dont get healthy food at convenient or fast food stores that are spread all around us. Luckily there is a lot of awareness & support in this country for people trying to lose weight by encouraging them to join gyms, eat healthy, weight watchers, etc. So its a matter of choice. With hard work & planning people have achieved 100+lbs weight loss goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness