Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM

756 posts, read 713,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I truly am not attempting to be offensive to you in anyway but 5'-10" at 140lbs??!!!?!
That's extremely thin. The kind of thin that you see at the elite level of marathoner's.
Simply wow.
If I saw you I would attempt to shove some meat and potatoes down your throat just so I didn't feel guilty about not doing anything for you.

You must want to feed Paul Ryan (6'2", 163) too.

Quote:
I eat more high quality meat in a month than most small communities in Japan consume in a year.

My pal's dad used to say something similar ... before he died from colon cancer at age 56 back in '08...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
Nobody said it was easy to lose weight. 95% of people who lose weight don't keep it off long-term. Why? Because they go back to eating the same way they became obese to begin with. They stop exercising thinking it's only something you do to lose weight.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
The new normal?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The new normal?
They feed of the life juices of that poor man, who must be thinking "What have I done" every waking hour.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM

198 posts, read 483,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
That's only partially true.

Last night my wife and I went to a very nice upscale steakhouse where I dined on a thick 45.00 Porterhouse.

Did I eat all 30 OZ? Close baby!

I eat more high quality meat in a month than most small communities in Japan consume in a year.

I figure that my wife and I alone have a 9000.00 dollar dining bill per year without drinks or paying for anyone else's meal.

NYC, NJ and PA get our money.

My weight is within 15 pounds of what would be considered normal for my height.
Are you 15 pounds underweight or 15 pounds overweight?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
You must want to feed Paul Ryan (6'2", 163) too.

My pal's dad used to say something similar ... before he died from colon cancer at age 56 back in '08...

Yes 5'10" and 140lbs is a perfectly normal height/weight for somebody who has a more slim/athletic build. It also gives a BMI of 20.1 which is normal also. Mine is even less than that, wonder who'd want to shove meat and potatoes down my throat. As it happens I can clean up a 20oz steak, plate of fries, and half pound of chocolate in under half an hour and still remain slim . Some people are built that way. I burn the calories off. Back in 1950 5'10 and 140 would have been more then norm. The person who posted the picture of the fat family with the quote "is this the new normal", well yes, it is unfortunately. Nowadays anyone at a healthy weight is considered "too thin" or "skinny" because "normal" people are fat (so it isn't noticed) and have some lovely combination of diabetes or heart disease in the making and can' even run a 5 minute mile etc... I'd rather be thin with my lower than average blood pressure, cholesterol, etc...

You see, when it comes to "normal", majority doesn't rule, in medical science. Normal is not what the majority of people is (too FAT) but what is healthy, as can be measured with blood tests, fitness tests, and compared to healthy ranges. "Normal" can be medically defined according to these measurements, which include cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar level, hbA1C etc.., things that produce real numbers and statistics. Fat people for the most part are not "normal" in weight or health, despite being the majority.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yes 5'10" and 140lbs is a perfectly normal height/weight for somebody who has a more slim/athletic build. It also gives a BMI of 20.1 which is normal also. Mine is even less than that, wonder who'd want to shove meat and potatoes down my throat. As it happens I can clean up a 20oz steak, plate of fries, and half pound of chocolate in under half an hour and still remain slim . Some people are built that way. I burn the calories off. Back in 1950 5'10 and 140 would have been more then norm. The person who posted the picture of the fat family with the quote "is this the new normal", well yes, it is unfortunately. Nowadays anyone at a healthy weight is considered "too thin" or "skinny" because "normal" people are fat (so it isn't noticed) and have some lovely combination of diabetes or heart disease in the making and can' even run a 5 minute mile etc... I'd rather be thin with my lower than average blood pressure, cholesterol, etc...
Please tell my Dr. this. She wants me to lose 23 more pounds, putting me down to 155 at 5'10".

Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
I find the OP's question offensive.
But I'm going to take a stab at it.

Its none of your business.
Compare the height of people in your country to the height of the big people you see walking in Philadelphia.
Its all about height. Taller people will have more weight on them.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I am not going to read all these posts because a lot of it has to do with cheap gas. Having spent time in foreign countries people have to walk or use public transit, not in the US, unless you are in NYC or some major metro area. Gas is cheap, food is cheap, restaurant portions are really made for 2, and we live in an instant gratification society. Top that off with now its socially acceptable so there is little peer pressure to lose weight, unless the Jenny Craig commercials pressure you.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I am sure I will get some haters here for posting this but here is the proof. It's portion control and calorie intake that dictate weight not what you eat! Read and decide for yourself. BTW eating produce is great if that's your thing. Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness