Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times

Advertisements

I've long felt that population was being harmed , or controlled, with the foods we eat. Now the proof starts to trickle in.........

"Asked if the farming industry could change back to the grain it formerly produced, Davis said it could, but it would not be economically feasible because it yields less per acre Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link"

Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says - CBS News

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-24-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Generally, I agree.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 PM

910 posts, read 2,294,153 times
That is WHY so many people, like myself, have become "gluten-intolerant". Some like to say "Oh, it's just a fad and unless you're diagnosed with celiac or a wheat allergy you should not stop eating it because you'll be missing out on several nutrients", yeah sure, how about using some logic and realizing that the gluten in this "Franken-wheat" is not what God (or mother Nature) intended? And what about the fact that once gluten damages one's intestines hardly any nutrients can get absorbed at all (hence the multiple health problems a lot of people have)?

Dr. Davis is the author of the book "Wheat Belly" and some time back I opened a thread about it or gluten intolerance because a lot of people are suffering needlessly with no idea that what they're eating is what's got them sick. I know it can be a pretty bitter pill to take, especially this time of year when all those wheat-laden "goodies" are super-abundant everywhere we turn, I just came back from shopping and while I was looking at some of the stuff I began wishing for the days when I "could" eat the stuff, but then who am I kidding, I only could because I had no idea what it was doing to me and when it comes to health ignorance is certainly not bliss.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
That is WHY so many people, like myself, have become "gluten-intolerant". Some like to say "Oh, it's just a fad and unless you're diagnosed with celiac or a wheat allergy you should not stop eating it because you'll be missing out on several nutrients", yeah sure, how about using some logic and realizing that the gluten in this "Franken-wheat" is not what God (or mother Nature) intended? And what about the fact that once gluten damages one's intestines hardly any nutrients can get absorbed at all (hence the multiple health problems a lot of people have)?

Dr. Davis is the author of the book "Wheat Belly" and some time back I opened a thread about it or gluten intolerance because a lot of people are suffering needlessly with no idea that what they're eating is what's got them sick. I know it can be a pretty bitter pill to take, especially this time of year when all those wheat-laden "goodies" are super-abundant everywhere we turn, I just came back from shopping and while I was looking at some of the stuff I began wishing for the days when I "could" eat the stuff, but then who am I kidding, I only could because I had no idea what it was doing to me and when it comes to health ignorance is certainly not bliss.
Oh please - no one is saying "it's just a fad and unless you're diagnosed with celiac or a wheat allergy you should not stop eating it because you'll be missing out on several nutrients."

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT. There is nothing in wheat that you'll be missing out on, if you eat something else instead. No one is claiming otherwise.

As for the "not what God intended," gimme a break. God didn't intend for you to use a computer either. Nor did God intend for you to have a car. Or take a bus. Or even ride a bicycle. Or wear polyester, or paint your nails with enamel, or use a diaphram, or wear fake fur, or live in a house with walls, heat, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing with hot and cold water. And yet - the human race has somehow managed to thrive, despite our clinging to things God didn't intend for us to do. "God didn't intend" has got to be the stupidest, inane, and utterly ridiculous argument against modern wheat.

There aren't "so many people" suddenly becoming intolerant to something that was impossible, 500 years ago, to be intolerant to. It's just that "so many people" are overeating things that aren't nearly as healthful for them as other things might be, and this is putting stress on their systems, causing their digestive systems to rebel and say "stop giving me this stuff." And so they become gluten intolerant. Perhaps if you hadn't shovelled bread into your mouth during most of your childhood and adulthood, you wouldn't have become gluten intolerant. Maybe if you had eaten it in moderation from the get-go, you could still be able to eat it in moderation. You'll never know though, will you?

If what Wheatbelly crowd claims were true, then people like - well - me, for example - would be gluten intolerant. But, oddly enough, I'm not. And neither is my sister, who has a HOST of digestive disorders, and has already ruled out gluten as a culprit by refraining from anything made with grass-based grain or flour for a month - and she still had the digestive problems the entire month. Bad enough that she was in the hospital for 10 days. So much for your theory that it's big bad evil wheat causing these conditions in everyone who has them, huh.

It's no wonder most of the science-based medical world doesn't take the Wheatbelly freaks seriously - it's nothing but melodrama, hyperbole, red herrings, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 AM

910 posts, read 2,294,153 times
What's your problem??? Why did you assume I was referring to anyone here? I'd just visited a site for a radio show where a couple of doctors and a dietitian were saying it was a fad. As for the rest of your post, I'm just going to ignore it because of your "attitude", it's just not worth my time, thank you!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I'll say one thing; since being diagnosed Type 2 diabetic earlier this year, I have DRASTICALLY cut my consumption of wheat and starches and my belly is literally melting off! I am thrilled, because for years and years, even when I weighed less, it stuck out like I was pregnant. I used to eat a LOT of bread, cake, cookies, chips, etc.

I do think the problem for most people is just that they eat too much wheat and starch in general. I also do agree somewhat the older, original forms of grains were/are much healthier in general; but really if people would just cut back to a FRACTION of the starches they are now consuming; I believe they would find it a lot easier to lose weight and be healthier overall. I haven't found it difficult in the least to radically cut back; and frankly, after awhile you stop craving it or wanting it at all. I do still love my carbs, but really watch my portions, especially of wheat, which rapidly converts to glucose in the blood.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Interesting article. Maybe we all love whole wheat products due that gliadin protein that the article says is an opiate!!

I love good, multiple whole grain bread like Dave's Killer Bread!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times
I refrained from bread - any kind, & lost weight. I dont know if the problem is the wheat or carbs in it or something else. Growing up I was taught that rice had starch so stay away from it but wheat is safe. That was a time when we used to buy whole wheat & grind it at home into flour or take it to the mill. Maybe the quality of wheat was different back then & it was not processed as much as rice was. But in modern day we buy ready made bread or packaged flour so there is possibilty of adultration. I dont think wheat bread is any different from white bread or rice. So I had to ditch it for good. I treat it as sugar now. I would rather buy lentils or beans & make soup as I can buy them as whole unlike wheat that is processed into flour. Something gets lost or added while processing whole grains or any other food for that matter. Consider wheat flour as any other processed product. I think we would do just fine without the agricultural products, like our ancestors did before agriculture started. They ate foods grown on trees & did just fine. So should we.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I refrained from bread - any kind, & lost weight. I dont know if the problem is the wheat or carbs in it or something else. Growing up I was taught that rice had starch so stay away from it but wheat is safe. That was a time when we used to buy whole wheat & grind it at home into flour or take it to the mill. Maybe the quality of wheat was different back then & it was not processed as much as rice was. But in modern day we buy ready made bread or packaged flour so there is possibilty of adultration. I dont think wheat bread is any different from white bread or rice. So I had to ditch it for good. I treat it as sugar now. I would rather buy lentils or beans & make soup as I can buy them as whole unlike wheat that is processed into flour. Something gets lost or added while processing whole grains or any other food for that matter. Consider wheat flour as any other processed product. I think we would do just fine without the agricultural products, like our ancestors did before agriculture started. They ate foods grown on trees & did just fine. So should we.
Our ancestors also did without heating systems, plumbing, faucets, cars, computers, electricity of any kind, guns, public transportation, books, windows with glass enclosures, plywood, and furniture that wasn't made out of straw. They also had no antibiotics, first aid kits, sterilization processes for simple things like needles for sewing deep cuts, anasthetics, prosthetics, and money. Furthermore, ancestors who lived in cold climates didn't eat food grown on trees. They hunted, ate meats and fish of whatever kind they were able to catch. And if it was a bad day in the forest, they didn't eat at all, in the wintertime. They also didn't get to turn up the heat on a particularly cold blustery day.

They didn't do "just fine" unless by "just fine" you mean dying during childbirth because there was no such thing as a cesarian section then - or dying at age 20 due to various plagues that would've been completely prevented had things like -soap- existed...or an average death age of 30...

I prefer my fine now, "franken-wheat" and all, to the "fine" I might've had to endure (or not) if I lived back in the days of our ancestors.

But you go on ahead and take yourself off the grid, live in a cave, toss your cell phone away, unplug your computer, ditch the generator and the car, and money, and modern medicine, and enjoy whatever is left of your life hunting for your supper. Good luck. I'll be at home with a slice of wheat toast and strawberry preserves, posting on the internet or maybe reading a book. Or maybe even ordering take-out.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But you go on ahead and take yourself off the grid, live in a cave, toss your cell phone away, unplug your computer, ditch the generator and the car, and money, and modern medicine, and enjoy whatever is left of your life hunting for your supper. Good luck. I'll be at home with a slice of wheat toast and strawberry preserves, posting on the internet or maybe reading a book. Or maybe even ordering take-out.
Not talking about (or against) the things we invented for our comfort. If a certain food type seems to have lost its nutrients over time because of heavy processing, then why not give it up for good. We dont HAVE to eat wheat to stay fit. Its not like giving up water so just chill.
We would be fine if we never ate certain foods for life. I dont want to give up heating or a/c or car because they help me live a comfortable life. If a certain thing is causing me discomfort & making me sick, then why shouldn't I consider or encourage others to give it up? Does that mean I have to give up all man-made inventions & go live on a mountain? Nobody is asking me to pay that price & you shouldn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness