Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,485 times

Advertisements

Healthcare and gov't agency workers are the two rudest service groups that I've encountered. When I was in labor they wouldn't let me stay in the hospital - even in the lobby! - because it was too early according to them, and sent me home twice even though I lived 45 mins away and the second time was practically begging them to let me stay. I was in a lot of pain, with my water having broken, shaking and throwing up, and the nurse was rolling her eyes and said, as I came out of the bathroom, that if I didn't want to go back home I could always go for a walk shopping or out for dinner! I was ready to punch her . What's worse, is when I was asking if they can please let me stay just in the waiting room, they told me that they can't because as long as I'm under the hospital roof I'm their responsibility, and then they'll be forced to do something, as in start interventions, and, I quote, "it could go in a direction that you might not want it to go!" . Basically threatening me into leaving by implying they're gonna purposefully screw up my perfectly normal labour! I was horrified, and am still regretting that I never reported it - with a newborn afterwards it was the last thing I wanted to deal with, and thankfully for the actual delivery and afterwards I had different nurses who were great. But I'm still shocked and pissed off at the audacity of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
All I can say is report it and let the hospital administrator know that he or she would do well getting their butt out from behind the desk and walk the floors of your hospital sort of like undercover boss maybe go in disguised and see how the patients are treated and talked to ... I think all ceos should find this eye opening .

Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,784,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Healthcare and gov't agency workers are the two rudest service groups that I've encountered. When I was in labor they wouldn't let me stay in the hospital - even in the lobby! - because it was too early according to them, and sent me home twice even though I lived 45 mins away and the second time was practically begging them to let me stay. I was in a lot of pain, with my water having broken, shaking and throwing up, and the nurse was rolling her eyes and said, as I came out of the bathroom, that if I didn't want to go back home I could always go for a walk shopping or out for dinner! I was ready to punch her . What's worse, is when I was asking if they can please let me stay just in the waiting room, they told me that they can't because as long as I'm under the hospital roof I'm their responsibility, and then they'll be forced to do something, as in start interventions, and, I quote, "it could go in a direction that you might not want it to go!" . Basically threatening me into leaving by implying they're gonna purposefully screw up my perfectly normal labour! I was horrified, and am still regretting that I never reported it - with a newborn afterwards it was the last thing I wanted to deal with, and thankfully for the actual delivery and afterwards I had different nurses who were great. But I'm still shocked and pissed off at the audacity of them!
that is the craziest $hit I have ever heard of. Where was then and when? I would have plopped my pregnant azz down in a chair in one of the various waiting areas hospitals have. This needs to be reported in great detail to hospital admin

Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,685,833 times
Report it not everyone is suited to work in health care

Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,784,846 times
seems the OP never came back to post what,if anything she did.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
You shoulda went across the street and called an ambulance. That'll get you in there, and you'll bypass the desk. They HAVE to admit you if you arrive by ambulance. It's a shame you gotta do stuff like that, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,105 times
You should always complain formally if you have been mistreated. Doctors are terrified of someone complaining about them. You only need a rumour for a doctor to get a bad reputation.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,355 times
The majority of the problems we've had have been with nursing staff. Incredibly rude at one hospital.

I do complain, and quite effectively. But it is a systemic problem.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,240 times
I grew up in a medical family and I've worked in customer service so I get how easy it is for your bad mood to become the customer's problem, without even realising it. Yes, nurses and doctors chose their profession but when you think of all crap (literally as well as metaphorically) they have to deal with every single day without a word of thanks from most people . . .

But it's not okay to take your bad day out on someone who is, after all, paying for your expertise and assistance. Most of the time I try to get on the side of the nurses and suck up a little, cause they're the ones you see 90% of the time. I have also filed complaints in the past about rudeness, lack of punctuality and inconsiderate behaviour. One time I walked out of an appointment after I'd waited 40 minutes for the Dr to even show up and another time I got into a shouting match with the Dr when he arrived 35 minutes late and then complained when I couldn't remember half my medications. I will not accept bad behaviour from people just becuase they've got a dozen letters after their name. I've seen qualified surgeons upchucking in my parents' back garden - they are just as human as the rest of us and sometimes need to remember that.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM

511 posts, read 491,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You shoulda went across the street and called an ambulance. That'll get you in there, and you'll bypass the desk. They HAVE to admit you if you arrive by ambulance. It's a shame you gotta do stuff like that, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
They HAVE to admit you if you arrive by ambulance???
HA...who told you that?

Last edited by Flem125; 01-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Missed word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness