U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM

12,712 posts, read 12,996,772 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

Prior to having children six years ago, I had no problems sleeping. After children, of course, my sleep cycle was disrupted and this was expected. I experienced insomnia. Someone told me that perhaps I should take benadryl since it could also be used as a sedative and was relatively harmless.

That started a six year cycle of using benadryl to sleep. It started off as one or twice a week. Then it became one or twice a day. I could not go to sleep on my own or stay asleep without benadryl. This past week, my body built up a tolerance to it and it stopped working. Good, quality sleep was a near impossibility as a result. I decided to go to my dr. and he put me on tazodone and told me that I'm going to have to re-train my body on how to sleep.

The tazodone so far is a mixed bag. One day I got a wonderful 7 hours, and now today I got 5. the problem isn't falling asleep per se..it's the waking up prematurely and being unable to fall back asleep even though my body clearly needs it. Another factor to throw into the mix is the fact that I have a big trial coming up in three weeks and I need to be at my best, not in the throes of insomnia. This insomnia has made me anxious (and I wasn't that way before). I am scared to take the full dose of the tazadone since I don't want to experience the unpleasant side effects (I have a choice to take either 1 or 2 tablets, and so far I've taken 1). At the same time, i absolutely do not want to go on Lunesta/Ambien. I'm already experiencing an addiction, don't need to swap it for another.

What are some of your suggestions/thoughts re: overcoming insomnia? WEaning yourself off sleeping medications? Learning how to fall asleep after a night wakening? Tazadone? Any experiences re: insomnia are very welcome.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM

1,310 posts, read 5,037,369 times
Id follow the Drs. instructions. You may not experience the side effects. Develop good sleep hygiene,same time every night,
warm,hot bath before bed,no tv. etc. Stick with it. Give the trazadone some time to work!

Deb

Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM

19,857 posts, read 62,097,697 times
Early awakening (3-4 a.m.) and failure to go back to sleep is a classic sign of depression. Talk to a professional.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,283,869 times
I have taken 1 dose of trazadone for years. It always made me fall right asleep and not wake up usually. But the past month, I have had to double the doe, and even then, it takes me more than an hour to fall asleep, with frequent awakening.

Benadryl or Tylenol PM made me so wired -- I can't take that stuff.

I do think the dr is right, that you need to retrain your body to sleep. I need to do the same, but then again, the thought of no sleep, even for a few nights, freaks me out. I do not do well on little sleep.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,020,836 times
Trazadone is strong stuff that usually makes one feel like a zombie with a hangover the next morning. Have you considered a simple benzo like ativan, that will help you sleep without the unpleasant side effects..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM

thanks for the replies!

SouthernBelle - I don't really exhibit any of the other telltale signs of depression. If anything my mood was normal and pleasant before the insomnia. However, due to the insomnia, I have anxiety.

lawmom - Trazadone is having zero effect on me. Last night, it took me a good long while to go to sleep and then I woke 3.5 hours later and here I am still awake. I'm like you too, little sleep is no bueno and since I'm also a parent of two, when I'm like this everyone is suffering Retraining is good for the initial "going to sleep" part but it won't help the night wakenings. That's what I'm worried about...

Brienzi - Trazadone, for good or for bad, isnt having any effect good or bad. I'm giong to work with my dr., maybe he might end up putting me on ambien.

Deb - Sad truth is, even with the most good intentions trying to get to sleep I inevitably awaken prematurely.

So everyone, I'm really at my wits end and am tired and frustrated. Unfortunately I really need sleep with this jury trial coming up.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,097,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
thanks for the replies!

SouthernBelle - I don't really exhibit any of the other telltale signs of depression. ................................. Unfortunately I really need sleep with this jury trial coming up.
You are not the best one to judge this, people never recognize depression in themselves until it is quite severe. Ask your doctor for a referral just to be sure. You have enough going on that it is a possibility.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You are not the best one to judge this, people never recognize depression in themselves until it is quite severe. Ask your doctor for a referral just to be sure. You have enough going on that it is a possibility.
And I agree, as I am a layman, but I can say with confidence that I am not depressed. I have insomnia, which in turn is causing me anxiety, but prior to all of this everything in my life was good and my mood was as it has always been. I do agree that insomnia can be an underlying disorder for something else, but depression is not where I'd take it.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM

8,167 posts, read 7,361,963 times
I have found some non narcotic supplements that help me; YMMV, of course.
I take my calcium crystals in aloe vera juice just before I go to bed. Sometimes I combine it with digestive enzymes. It is a real knockout combination. I get mine in a form called "Isotonix" which you can find on line.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM

540 posts, read 1,465,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Early awakening (3-4 a.m.) and failure to go back to sleep is a classic sign of depression. Talk to a professional.
Is it really? Where did you get that information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness