Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times

Advertisements

Lately, my mom (she's in her late 40s) has been repeatedly asking me the same questions over and over. It's like she doesn't pay attention to what I say even if I just said it 5 minutes ago. I can be pretty impatient, so I hate the fact that I get upset with her when this happens because I honestly feel something is going on.

Her father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and he sadly passed away several years ago due to the disease. I believe this can run in the family.

I told her that she should go to the doctor and see if anything can be done as a precaution. Is that even possible? I know there's no cure, but maybe something to "help" her remember what someone has said to her.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 03:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
That's pretty early for Alzheimer's.

It could be that she's beginning to go through menopause. Menopausal 'Foggy Brain' Confirmed in Tests | LiveScience

Or it could be that she has a ton of things on her mind, is used to talking to several people about the same things and just can't remember that she already asked you instead of your brother or your dad.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Lately, my mom (she's in her late 40s) has been repeatedly asking me the same questions over and over. It's like she doesn't pay attention to what I say even if I just said it 5 minutes ago. I can be pretty impatient, so I hate the fact that I get upset with her when this happens because I honestly feel something is going on.

Her father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and he sadly passed away several years ago due to the disease. I believe this can run in the family.

I told her that she should go to the doctor and see if anything can be done as a precaution. Is that even possible? I know there's no cure, but maybe something to "help" her remember what someone has said to her.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Please have her see her HCP for an exam, especially if it is time for her "yearly". What you describe can surely be age-related, but other things can mimic this. There are a few non-invasive screening tests that can be performed in an office setting. Early-onset Alzheimer's usually shows up earlier, but who knows? There is a form of hydrocephalus that can cause this and even small strokes and believe it or not, post-menopause! Good luck to both you and her.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM

Both my father and I want her to go to the doctor because he notices it too, but she's reluctant as she knew how devastating it was to her dad. I guess she just doesn't want to hear bad news but I would want to know.

But I didn't even think of menopause. I will say that I don't live with her so when she visits me or calls, she'll ask the same questions repeatedly. And it could be 10+ different questions a day.

Sigh. It's just sad. We're really close and I hope nothing is really wrong.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
My Dad died with it at the age of 75. We started to notice symptoms about 5 years prior. I think its more likely your mother is pre-menopause and it can mess with a woman in many, many different ways. Memory is one of those. I am curious to know, however, if she has ever smoked cigarettes? New findings seem to show that Alzheimer's patients never smoked. My Dad never smoked, although I did for 35 years before finally switching to an ecig 3-1/2 years ago. Relatives who smoked, did not suffer Alzheimer's either. Nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine and is useful in some neurological disorders, such as certain forms of Alzheimer's.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Mini-strokes can cause the same symptoms. You don't feel them but they can be devastating to the brain. Studies of brains of patients after death have demonstrated that some people who were thought to have Alzheimer's were actually stoke victims

Old 05-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My Dad died with it at the age of 75. We started to notice symptoms about 5 years prior. I think its more likely your mother is pre-menopause and it can mess with a woman in many, many different ways. Memory is one of those. I am curious to know, however, if she has ever smoked cigarettes? New findings seem to show that Alzheimer's patients never smoked. My Dad never smoked, although I did for 35 years before finally switching to an ecig 3-1/2 years ago. Relatives who smoked, did not suffer Alzheimer's either. Nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine and is useful in some neurological disorders, such as certain forms of Alzheimer's.
She was a smoker years ago but hasn't touched a cigarette in probably 20ish years.

I appreciate y'all telling me about what else it could possibly be.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:26 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
She was a smoker years ago but hasn't touched a cigarette in probably 20ish years.

I appreciate y'all telling me about what else it could possibly be.
Good for her! I don't know if former use would protect her, if in fact it does, its just something they are starting to notice. All of my relatives that smoked, except 1, smoked till the day they died AFAIK.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
From the Alzheimer's Assoc. web site...
10 Early Signs & Symptoms of Alzheimer's | Alzheimer's Association
OP have a qualified doctor examine her. It's the only way to get a proper answer.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
There is a drug called Aricept which is often precribed to those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s because it thought it may help. There is some information about the drug here:

Alzheimer Society of Toronto - Drug Treatments

Quote:
In clinical trials, some individuals who took the drug, compared to individuals who took a placebo (a substance which looks like the drug but has no effect), showed some improvement or no decline in cognition (including memory, orientation and language) and global functioning (for example, the performance of daily activities such as bathing, dressing and eating).
At best, it might buy her some time if she has Alzheimer's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness