Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM

3,492 posts, read 6,438,616 times

Advertisements

When I'm lying in my bed towards the end of the day, I often get a sudden slight needle-like pain plus itch at a totally random part of my body. Why does this happen?

This is not a skin problem, or else it would be in the same areas. Also, it seems to be more on the bottoms of my feet, but not always. It also never happens when sitting up or standing. It could also be psychological, as I tend to worry or do nothing a lot. Sometimes I have to scratch and other times I can just ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,715,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When I'm lying in my bed towards the end of the day, I often get a sudden slight needle-like pain plus itch at a totally random part of my body. Why does this happen?

This is not a skin problem, or else it would be in the same areas. Also, it seems to be more on the bottoms of my feet, but not always. It also never happens when sitting up or standing. It could also be psychological, as I tend to worry or do nothing a lot. Sometimes I have to scratch and other times I can just ignore it.
I always get that and have no idea why but it drives me crazy. It's esp bad when I'm in a place where you're expected to sit still, like concerts, lectures, and plane rides and first I have to scratch my eye and no sooner have I done that then it's my other eye or my arm. . . it's nearly constant and as soon as I scratch it, it goes away only to reappear somewhere else and if I try to ignore it, it just gets bigger and sooner or later I have to give in to it. Maddening but it's been that way all my life and people probably find me annoying b/c of it.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,224,806 times
The sudden pin prick pain is from a nerve ending. Itching can come from an allergy.

Could be either metabolic or mechanical.

When was the last time you were tested for diabetes? How balanced is your diet?
Do you sit for long hours or do anything physical to excess?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM

What causes the nerve ending to suddenly cause the pain?

It's true that I don't get as much exercise as I should. But I try.

Does anyone know more about what could be done?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,851 times
See your doctor. Seriously, if it bothers you, that's the only thing any of us can recommend. It could be neuropathy, or who knows what, or nothing at all. Only a doctor can tell you.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
The sudden pin prick pain is from a nerve ending. Itching can come from an allergy.

Could be either metabolic or mechanical.

When was the last time you were tested for diabetes? How balanced is your diet?
Do you sit for long hours or do anything physical to excess?
Not an allergy. I have allergies too and I know that kind of itch very well. We're talking about random stuff--it starts to itch but as soon as you scratch it, it goes away, only to pop up somewhere else.

I've had this all of my life and have been tested for diabetes several times (mom was paranoid b/c dad had juvenile d.) I move around quite a lot during the day but don't exercise to excess. I only notice the itching stuff when I try to sit still for any length of time. At the moment I have two places desiring attention but one just went away and another popped up. It's not unbearable and I'm ignoring it, but had a hard time ignoring at the last concert I went to. My theory is that it's related to ADD and I read somewhere that those with ADD are very uncomfortable in their bodies. I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense as I've never been comfortable in my own skin and I never realized until just a few years ago that most people do not have this problem.

Also, sometimes I feel something like someone just stuck a needle in my body and it doesn't go away right away but sticks around for awhile. It's esp uncomfortable if it's in my eye!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,224,806 times
There is a possibility I suppose that there could be a psychological cause to itching and such probably more so feeling uncomfortable in your body in general.

Various people to check with would be a medical doctor to rule out sickness, a chiropractor as they specialize in nerve impingement, an acupuncture and holistic physician in that order. Did you know that a problem in one part of your body can result in a nerve 'sting' or feeling in another completely different part of your body? This is what alternative practices such as foot reflexology are based upon.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Do you think a lack of blood circulation could cause this problem?

I sometimes wear long underwear when it's cold. They are not that tight but maybe it causes the problem.
But the correlation is not exact.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
There is a possibility I suppose that there could be a psychological cause to itching and such probably more so feeling uncomfortable in your body in general.

Various people to check with would be a medical doctor to rule out sickness, a chiropractor as they specialize in nerve impingement, an acupuncture and holistic physician in that order. Did you know that a problem in one part of your body can result in a nerve 'sting' or feeling in another completely different part of your body? This is what alternative practices such as foot reflexology are based upon.
This one made my doc scratch his head, lol. If that's true about a problem in one part of your body causing an itch somewhere else I must have a lot of problems b/c it's all over the place. A lot of times it's my head and possibly having curly hair makes it worse b/c it's always catching on my shirt one hair at a time. My face is a frequent area but I have really healthy looking skin. My legs. I've always said that I'll never have problems with blood clots in my legs from sitting too long on a flight b/c I wiggle and scratch way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Do you think a lack of blood circulation could cause this problem?

I sometimes wear long underwear when it's cold. They are not that tight but maybe it causes the problem.
But the correlation is not exact.
No, I have really good circulation. i think it's more likely a nutrient deficiency but darned if I know which one it is and I'm well nourished, though I was not as a child and just like with ADD, it may be too late to cure it.

Robert, is this an all your life thing, or only more recent? I've had it since I can remember and once years ago while trying to sit still in church it occurred to me that I was the only adult that seemed to have problems with scratching all the time and before that I just thought that everyone had way more discipline than me and felt really immature. Now I know that this is not normal and I'm actually glad because it's not a character problem.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Robert, is this an all your life thing, or only more recent? I've had it since I can remember and once years ago while trying to sit still in church it occurred to me that I was the only adult that seemed to have problems with scratching all the time and before that I just thought that everyone had way more discipline than me and felt really immature. Now I know that this is not normal and I'm actually glad because it's not a character problem.
It happens maybe once or twice a year but it usually only lasts 1-2 days. This time it lasted longer.

To restate an example, last night I was perfectly fine when suddenly it felt like somebody stabbed the bottom of my foot with a needle, and then two seconds later, it was perfectly okay again. What is the medical term for this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness