Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,156 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else here hiccup after eating things like bagels or muffins? I always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,060 times
Clearly I typed this while in a hurry - sorry for the redundancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
SaveMtns &Tarastomsgirl:

I finally have begun to get some answers after my doctor finally began to take me seriously. It's difficult when you continue to have things go wrong & folks just start thinking you are crying wolf. I finally sat my doc down & told him that I needed him to believe me that something is going terribly wrong in my body & I need him to help me eliminate the possibilities.

I, thankfully, have found out that I do NOT have Celiac's - which, I'll have to admit, was a shock to me. I strangely have Folic Acid deficiency (apparently a rare occurrence in the USA today), B-12 Deficiency, & low Thyroid function. They are still doing further tests for Rheumatoid Arthritis & a few other things.

I am pleased that these tests have simply unearthed some things that can easily be taken care of. I'm still praying for good news with a few of the other more serious tests.

I know there is still something up with me & gluten or other food products - I'm going to need to further explore this - perhaps an allergist. Because some foods nearly kill me. But, until then, I will be thankful.

Thanks for your concern...

Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
If anyone thinks they have celtic disease I hope that they go to a doctor to really find out. Those symptoms that they give for celtic disease can be caused by other things.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:01 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,772 times
I have self-diagnosed myself about a year ago. I KNOW gluten is the problem. I have always loved all foods. I was eating shredded wheat or wheat bran cereal every morning and during the day I'd have 7 grain bread. I love all that stuff, but after a few weeks of wondering why I was always unusually bloated, it became obvious the diet had to change. I stopped eating anything that contained gluten...wheat or otherwise. Within a day or two the problem went away. I also stay away from anything that contains lactose. I think people need to take this much more seriously. We have to read the labels, because gluten is in so many products out there. They use it to bind foods together. While it makes food more palatable, it does a number on our intestines.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
One thing i do notice is that after about 5 to 6 days of eating Oats my intestinal distress and full body cramping subsides so i wonder if my body is acclimating to it but i thought food intolerances or allergies never subside. I may experiment again next week and try to consume Oats for a longer period and see what happens as i really really really miss the power of Oatmeal as my workouts have been very lethargic this week using Apples and Blueberries as my energy carbs....

Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Mmmmm...Hummus
Hummmmus....Mmmmmmmm

Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I beg to differ 6 FOOT 3, the gluten grains include Wheat, Rye, Barley and Oats. The NON gluten grains are spelt, millet, corn, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat and of course--- Brown rice.

For yummy recipes for these grains that you can get at a good health food store, check out a cookbook called Gourmet Grains. Also the Whole Foods Cookbook has some as does Christina Pirello in her cookbooks which are gourmet Macrobiotic oriented (she cured herself of Cancer 20 years ago or more exclusively through food). There are many others.

Christina Pirello has a website and lots of free recipes there at either www.chritinacooks.com or www.christinaschoice.com

I can never remember which.

Also, while many people may not be diagnosed with such an intolerance to the gluten grains as to have Celiacs disease, many others, not diagnosed have an insenistivity to it and would be best advised to avoid the gluten grains completely as well-----at least for a few months to give their immune systems a chance to recover. After you avoid the foods that you crave that are also the ones weakening your immune systen for 2 to 6 months, you can usually reintroduce them into your diet and your immune sysem can now handle them.

Naturopathic doctors are the experts when it comes to knowing what YOU in particular, should be eating and avoiding. A nutritionist, I wouldn't think would know anything more than boiler plate diets -- same for medical doctors.
Spelt DOES have gluten.Some people tolerate Spelt better than wheat or other gluten containing grains but if someone is on a gluten-free diet, they cannot eat spelt.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Yes, spelt does have gluten but is less than wheat flour.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Yes, spelt does have gluten but is less than wheat flour.
Its not less than wheat but a different kind of gluten than can be tolerated by some people who are allergic to the gluten in wheat

Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
Its not less than wheat but a different kind of gluten than can be tolerated by some people who are allergic to the gluten in wheat

Furthermore, from my research it is strongly suggested that anyone with Celiac's should completely & absolutely avoid all gluten containing products (which includes many non food items as well). A "Zero Tolerance" policy, if you will. Even the slightest amount in your diet can increase your risks of certain cancers & further damage to the small intestine.

Thankfully I found out I do not have Celiac's after all - but if I did, I wouldn't go near anything with gluten. The risks far outweigh the gains in my opinion.

And, to the person who self-diagnosed - I'd be careful in doing such. I believe people should trust their own "gut intuition" but also be thoroughly tested. I was very certain that I had nailed the diagnosis of Celiac's. Everything fit perfectly. Except that fact that I don't have it. I have several vitamin deficiencies that mimic the signs of Celiac's & other diseases. They are still doing further testing, but I am glad I didn't simply rely upon my own "gut intuition".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness