Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times

Advertisements

Here is a short quote from an informative article on the NewsTarget.com website:
Gluten Intolerance, also known as Celiac Disease, was once thought to be a rare genetic disorder until 2003 when it was discovered that it is, indeed, quite common. Where once gluten intolerance was thought to affect 1 in 4000 people it is now thought to affect 1 in 133 and researchers expect that number to drop even lower. Yet, even with this new discovery many people in America are going undiagnosed. by Leslee Dru Browning
Click here to read the entire article

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Thanks for this thread NewAge....the only grains i eat are oats and they do bother me alot. I just ate a couple of bowls a couple of hours ago and i'm cramping all over my body as it always does for hours after i eat them. Also my intestines burn from them but i know they are gluten free so maybe its grain intolerance in general as i've read some on some sites.

Why eat them ......they are the best power food i have ever eaten for energy to pump iron and exercise and work in a trades industry that requires lots of physical energy. Its Frustrating !

Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for this thread NewAge....the only grains i eat are oats and they do bother me alot. I just ate a couple of bowls a couple of hours ago and i'm cramping all over my body as it always does for hours after i eat them. Also my intestines burn from them but i know they are gluten free so maybe its grain intolerance in general as i've read some on some sites.

Why eat them ......they are the best power food i have ever eaten for energy to pump iron and exercise and work in a trades industry that requires lots of physical energy. Its Frustrating !
I beg to differ 6 FOOT 3, the gluten grains include Wheat, Rye, Barley and Oats. The NON gluten grains are spelt, millet, corn, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat and of course--- Brown rice.

For yummy recipes for these grains that you can get at a good health food store, check out a cookbook called Gourmet Grains. Also the Whole Foods Cookbook has some as does Christina Pirello in her cookbooks which are gourmet Macrobiotic oriented (she cured herself of Cancer 20 years ago or more exclusively through food). There are many others.

Christina Pirello has a website and lots of free recipes there at either www.chritinacooks.com or www.christinaschoice.com

I can never remember which.

Also, while many people may not be diagnosed with such an intolerance to the gluten grains as to have Celiacs disease, many others, not diagnosed have an insenistivity to it and would be best advised to avoid the gluten grains completely as well-----at least for a few months to give their immune systems a chance to recover. After you avoid the foods that you crave that are also the ones weakening your immune systen for 2 to 6 months, you can usually reintroduce them into your diet and your immune sysem can now handle them.

Naturopathic doctors are the experts when it comes to knowing what YOU in particular, should be eating and avoiding. A nutritionist, I wouldn't think would know anything more than boiler plate diets -- same for medical doctors.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
6 FOOT 3 wrote:
I know what you mean. I love oatmeal when the weather turns cool starting about this time of the year. I just had my first bowl of the season a few days ago. No noticable ill effects from the first few bowls, but if the past is an indicator, it starts affecting me a few weeks down the road. Makes me feel sleepy and mildly stuffy. I'm going to experiemnt eating it only 2 or 3 days a week instead of every day as I have in the past. Wheat is much worse. I know I need to eliminate it from my diet completely...but I love sandwhiches. I can handle brown rice, millet, and quinoa just fine, but rice flour bread is a pure excuse for bread. I want the real thing but my body rebells.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I beg to differ 6 FOOT 3, the gluten grains include Wheat, Rye, Barley and Oats. The NON gluten grains are spelt, millet, corn, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat and of course--- Brown rice.
Ok thanks for the info on oats and gluten and also the web sites you listed Emilybh. I'm still cramping bad in my legs almost 4 hours later. I'll look at Brown Rice and how to best cook it as bodybuilders swear by that for energy also.... harry

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 10-15-2007 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM

I just got done reading a web site on Celiac and one of the symptoms is cramping in legs and hands which is always the case. Also mentioned pain in the stomach region could be IBS again caused by Celiac. Only cure is a life long avoidance of these certain grains they quote.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 PM

72,413 posts, read 18,199,776 times
I eat a lot of oatmeal with soy in the morning,that's the only thing I can eat,can't eat wheat bread or anything with wheat,I get bloated.So avoid stuff like that

Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
NewAge,

First, now I want a bowl of oatmeal. Haven't had any in years.

Second, Have you tried sprouted wheat bread for sandwiches. It may not affect you the same as whole wheat or even white bread. There used to be one that I just loved that was sourdough sprouted wheat. it was made by A Street Bakery. I can't recall the name of the baker. I can't get it since moving, so I buy Ezekiel and another brand I never heard of.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
My sister has been on a Gluten-free diet for about 2 years, due to her issues with conceiving a child... all I can say is, I became an Aunt to a HEALTHY baby girl last month! She swears that it's solved many of her health problems (including IBS), and I'm not one to argue with her. As for myself, I don't have the willpower to stick with it.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:16 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,699 times
My mom has celiac, and got so sick before being diagnosed that she was hospitalized for a week, and in ICU for 2 days. Like a lot of diseases, there are varying levels of severity--hers is especially bad. The good news is that she is now on a super-strict gluten-free diet (a big pain, tho', because you have to read every single label - it's hidden everywhere ) and she is doing great. All of her long list of health problems pretty much cleared up.

Anyone who definitely has it would be smart to try hard to avoid gluten, as it actually damages your intestines. But my mom is proof that you can get well and be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness