Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
Are there any acid reflux sufferers out there? I have been taking Nexium for about two years. However, it doesn't seem to be working for me any longer. Has anyone had the same experience?
I have found that any prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications only aggravate my condition. It is a known fact that medications such as Tums, etc. will only worsen conditions of acid indigestion.

This may sound crazy, but it works. Drink lots of water. It is one of the best relievers for GERD that I've found.

As mentioned above, small portions at meal times is necessary as well as avoiding the common triggers of GERD, tomato products, caffeine, citrus, greasy foods, raw onions, dairy products, and sweets. There are many more. Everyone is different and different foods can cause problems for them.

Raising your bed to slant or buying a slanted pillow at a health supply store helps as well.

The worst culprits for me are sweets (love them, but pay the price occasionally ), oranges, greasy foods, and tomato products. Bananas tend to cause problems for me too.

Don't eat anything for at least 3 hours before going to bed.

Try not to bend over much as this really bothers me especially after eating. Just squat rather than bend when picking up something, etc.

Pay attention to yourself. You are the only one who can figure out what will help you the most. The doctor will not. Presciptions are written right and left for everyone, but since no two people are totally alike, what does that tell us?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times
About 8 years ago I was getting heart burn all the time was chewing up Tums like candy. At first I thought I had an ulser, but had an Upper GI done and it showed nothing. I cut back on the old Tabasco Sauce and other spicy things, started taking a Prilosec tab each day. I'm can be ok if I miss one day of taking a Prilosec, but if I drink to much coffee or get to excited, I start getting heart burn and have to grab a couple of Tums. If I take the Prilosec in the morning (when I first get up), I'm pretty much ok for the rest of the day (don't need any Tums at all).

Old 01-20-2007, 01:53 PM

5,649 posts, read 11,206,047 times
My recipe to stop excess stomach acid and the need to take antacids like zantac is to avoid coffee and carbonated drinks (especially coke / pepsi). If coke can peel pain off a car, it can do some bad stuff inside the stomach. Also I avoid junk food / fast food as much as possible, because that stuff has too much fat and sodium that seems to cause stomach acid.
The other trick is to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, with few exceptions. Grapefruit because is too acidic for me. I am allergic to Mango, so that's out too. Some say to watch out for tomatoes, but for me a fresh tomato with mixed green salad is great -lots of good antioxidants. I go easy on the tomato pasta sauce because that is more concentrated than a fresh tomato.
I have gotten off my routine on occasion, and started gulping coffee here and a soda there. Almost like an alarm clock, my stomach will knot up after several days of that, and I'll have to grab a zantac. Then the control side of the brain kicks in and tells me what an idiot I am for drinking the soda and coffee, and a day or two later I'll be fine again, no zantac needed.

Amjb is right, antacids don't fix the problem, they just sort of mask the problem. Also agree about the water - drink a glass at least every couple of hours and with meals. Also agree that foods have different reactions in different people. Takes a lot of time and experimentation, but it is possible to live without antacids if you can figure out what triggers the problem in the first place.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,304,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweet7000 View Post
I've been taking Nexium for chest pain (no burning or acid taste in my mouth) for about4 weeks. The doctor said it was reflux though no tests taken.
It sort of works though I still get the pain if I'm stressed (on disability because of stress!) ......
I'm losing weight as I'm overweight. .....
Plus, the bed head raising... don't do it, it may have made of my legs swell up and I had to go to hospital. Varicose veins seemed to not cope with the bed head raising. .....If I even think of anything stressful it hurts : ( so... I'm trying to be less stressed...... I'm aged 52, 5'5" tall and weigh 83 kilos (lost 4 so far) 12 to go at least.
Any suggestions appreciated please.
Electrocardiogram (EKG) / chest x-ray was normal? no cardiac issues?????

Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,024 times
I was just diagnosed with acid reflux and a Hiatal Hernia in October. Fun. Anyway, I take Prilosec OTC, which at one time was a prescription drug...it's awesome. However, you should stop the medication once in awhile and try to eat right on your own. I know things to stay away from are smoking (I smoke), soda (I drink it more than somtimes), orange juice, pasta sauce (I live off of it), garlic (live off it), and you are supposed to eat six smaller meals per day as opposed to three larger ones (I eat whenever I want). You are not supposed to eat or drink at least two hours before bed, you can sleep at a slight incline and lastly, do not bend down too much right after a meal. So as you can see, there are many things one can do to avoid suffering acid reflux. However, I just don't do them....but I'm trying. Hope some of these tips help.

Ps. Remember when I said I was a hypochondriac, well, the acid reflux is one of the things that I mistake for a heart attack about 12 times a week....not good.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,198,061 times
I just read an article about that and the person who was aflicted by acid reflex went on a low carb diet and was able to go off the meds.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:20 PM

278 posts, read 800,560 times
I was also suffering from acid reflux and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about a year ago. After some extensive research, here's what I learned: When you are under a lot of stress, your digestion tends to shut down. Your stomach produces LESS acid, so when you eat food your stomach can't break it down. This is gross, but then the undigested food tends to ferment in the stomach, which produces gases and the burning feeling. A really good nutritional book, "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Dr. James Balch, suggests that you use 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in an 8 oz glass of water with every meal. Eat slowly and really chew your food well. I did all these things and I don't have heartburn at all any more. The other trick is not to eat so much that you get overly full. I did alot of reading about all these stomach acid blockers and acid pump inhibitors (like Nexium and Prilosec) and they all have side effects. Anyway, my results are no stomach drugs, and I feel a lot better these days!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
I was also suffering from acid reflux and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about a year ago. After some extensive research, here's what I learned: When you are under a lot of stress, your digestion tends to shut down. Your stomach produces LESS acid, so when you eat food your stomach can't break it down. This is gross, but then the undigested food tends to ferment in the stomach, which produces gases and the burning feeling. A really good nutritional book, "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Dr. James Balch, suggests that you use 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in an 8 oz glass of water with every meal. Eat slowly and really chew your food well. I did all these things and I don't have heartburn at all any more. The other trick is not to eat so much that you get overly full. I did alot of reading about all these stomach acid blockers and acid pump inhibitors (like Nexium and Prilosec) and they all have side effects. Anyway, my results are no stomach drugs, and I feel a lot better these days!
What type of side effects did you read about? This really bugs me because I don't want to be on this medication, nevermind end up with side effects from it. I just want to be healthy!!! My husband has a friend who drinks (or drank maybe) white vinegar, I don't know how much or for how long...I'll find out...and he hasn't suffered from reflux since. Also, I want to know if anybody suffers it the same way as me: What made me go to the doctor in the first place was the pain that I started getting (right before I lost the baby actually). I thought it was my gall bladder because after eating, especially spicey foods, I would get this weird feeling in the right side of my stomach. The only way to describe it was like a ball or bubble right under my rib cage, or that something was there and I could maybe push it out or something. It would get progressively worse (sometimes I felt like I couldn't breathe to deeply) until eventually I'd end up in the bathroom, which in turn would relieve most of it but not all. The more gas I'd let out, the quicker that pain would go away too. But when I went for the endoscopy, it was my gall bladder, they simply said I have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. When I take my Prilosec, I'm almost never effected by anything I eat, however, if I skip a day by accident (like friday) then I have an "attack" (like I did on Saturday). Once I take the prilosec for awhile, I get into a groove, but if I stop then within a few days, I'm a disaster again. So, again, my question is, does anyone suffer it the exact way I do with those same weird "bubble" pains, etc?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 AM

889 posts, read 3,107,734 times
I suffered with acid reflux pretty steadily for about 2-3 years. The first time i thought i was having a heart attack.I was 36 years old, weighed 120 lbs,female good health etc. Went to emergency at the local hospital and found out through a bunch of tests i had acid reflux.Never heard of it before!!!I also had a hiatal hernia.It was so bad sometimes for weeks on end i only had broth and Ensure to live off of.
I was on Prilosac,Zantac( which i think works better) and an inhibitor of some sort, cant quite remember as its been 10 years now.
At times, it was mild then would swing to severe.I got used to the pain and discomfort after every meal.Bland or not did not matter.Chest pains,burning even in the mid back pain.
The doctor finally ordered me to have an esophegal monitor which reveled i had acid going up the esophugus basically all the time.
I was fortunate to be a candidate for the surgery they now perform for it.I was 36 at the time, and knew in due time, the erosion of the esophugus can cause cancer,period.I was NOT going to be on meds. for this problem forever and i was to young.
I had the surgery i think in 98 or 99 i cant remember and what a difference!!!!
No more burning, no more worry about what i eat nothing.
I am amazed that people continue to put up with this for years after unsuccesful attempts to get it under control becasue it does or can lead to cancer in the end.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I suffered with acid reflux pretty steadily for about 2-3 years. The first time i thought i was having a heart attack.I was 36 years old, weighed 120 lbs,female good health etc. Went to emergency at the local hospital and found out through a bunch of tests i had acid reflux.Never heard of it before!!!I also had a hiatal hernia.It was so bad sometimes for weeks on end i only had broth and Ensure to live off of.
I was on Prilosac,Zantac( which i think works better) and an inhibitor of some sort, cant quite remember as its been 10 years now.
At times, it was mild then would swing to severe.I got used to the pain and discomfort after every meal.Bland or not did not matter.Chest pains,burning even in the mid back pain.
The doctor finally ordered me to have an esophegal monitor which reveled i had acid going up the esophugus basically all the time.
I was fortunate to be a candidate for the surgery they now perform for it.I was 36 at the time, and knew in due time, the erosion of the esophugus can cause cancer,period.I was NOT going to be on meds. for this problem forever and i was to young.
I had the surgery i think in 98 or 99 i cant remember and what a difference!!!!
No more burning, no more worry about what i eat nothing.
I am amazed that people continue to put up with this for years after unsuccesful attempts to get it under control becasue it does or can lead to cancer in the end.
That's the second time I've heard that recently...and with my paranoia, I don't need to be adding esophogeal cancer to my list of worries. What type of surgery is it? See, I always thought a hernia could be worked on (as in people who get hernias in their stomachs) but when I had the endoscopy, my doctor told me to hold my horses, take the medicine, try to eat a better diet and see what happens next, not to worry about "worst case" right now. So I went about my merry way, thinking "alright, I'll try to quit smoking and eat better"...neither of which I've done. Now I hear about it leading to cancer and it's not as simple or funny as I thought (but I do realize how common acid reflux/hiatal hernia is...surprisingly common). Anyway, what surgery did you have? How long was it? What about recooperation, heal time, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness