Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

275 posts, read 1,283,391 times

Advertisements

I have some scrapes on my hand a few months ago, which have left some scars of the keloid type. I have been using Scar Zone topical scar diminishing cream purchased from Rite Aid, which was recommended by a pharmacist there. But last week my physician said the scar products that I could buy from any drug store would not help with reducing the keloids, and even if the keloids' appearance improved, it wouldn't be because of the scar creams. I am now confused and wonder if someone can provide more insights on this matter? Thanks!

BTW: Some information about Scar Zone topical scar diminishing cream:
Buy Scar Zone Topical Scar Diminishing Cream & More | drugstore.com

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%) (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide (3.93%) (Sunscreen), Dimethicone (4.00% Silicone) (Skin Protection)

Inactive Ingredients: Water (aqua), Hydrogenated Polydecene, PEG 30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, PEG 22 Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, PEG 8, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG 20/15 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Silica, Octydodecanol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Butylene Glycol, Allium Cepa (Red Onion) Bulb Extract, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, DMDM Hydantoin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Lauryl Glucoside, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1)

Silicone and onion extract are the two ingredients the rite aid pharmacist was looking for, when she picked from a few products for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Silicon is the main ingredient. Gels more useful than creams. Less fillers the better.

Try ScarGuard or Orgono Silica Gel. Either will do it and is relatively inexpensive. The former has a strong smell and dries opaque. The latter has no smell and dries clear.

We sell both to Drs. All happy.

I should mention I have used both myself.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I had surgery on my leg and I was using Mederma for the onion extract. The doctor told me to quit wasting my money, that it was the rubbing that diminishes the scar, not any ingredients in the ointment. He said to just put any cream on twice a day and rub it in as well as the Mederma. I followed his advice after my first tube ran out, and I have almost no scar now. It did look pretty bad the first two years, but last year I had to have xrays and the tech said she was amazed that I could have that much metal in me without more scarring on the outside.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I've tried some of the silicone based ointments/creams on my keloids .. basically no difference.

Now that said, I wasn't religious about it (multiple times a day), but was pretty consistent for 6+ weeks.

I may try again, but don't have a lot of hope. Most medical literature on keloids suggests that (for whatever reason) they are like super-scars and don't respond to most treatments that normal scarring does respond to.

good luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I've been using the Maderma and yes it works. My 2 scars from 4 months ago are fading a lot. One is 1/2 way gone, but you haveto use it 3-4/day every day.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Upstate -- are your scars normal scars or keloids?

Because I haven't found much that works on keloids, and the OP mentioned their scarring was keloid-like (don't know if that means actual keloids or what..)

I would love to find something that works on keloids, so I'm eagerly following this thread..

Old 04-07-2014, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,077 times
You can also search for hypoallergenic scar therapy. It is quite effective in fading out scars of all types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness