Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey dexter View Post
6 weeks ago I fell on the second last step and broke my right ankle, tibia and fibula, it just snapped. I only had surgery two weeks later and had a plate on the right side with 5 pins and on the left a screw into tibia, fibula and foot. I have never known such pain in my life. After the op my Orth put me into a moon boot which I wonder, is it the right thing to do? It's been 4 weeks since surgery and my pain has not lessoned, this is a concern to me. My Dr told me to change my wound 2x weekly and air it so the stitches can dissolve, he also said I could part pressure in 3 weeks which I have done slightly but the pain is now unbearable.. what do I do.....I have been so depressed.
When will the pain lesson so that I can have a good nights sleep..
Sorry to hear that. 08/30 I stepped off a 12 inch curb, thinking it was a normal 5 inch curb. I rolled my ankle and dislocated it breaking it on both sides as well as my fibula, so 3 breaks total. I went to ER and underwent a 4 hour surgery getting a plate with 5 screws for fibula and 2 screws for the left side of the ankle.

I was non weight bearing for 9 weeks in a hard cast. At week 4 I developed a DVT (blood clot) and am being treated for that still. At week 9, I was given physical therapy exercises to regain range of motion and was able to begin minimal weight nearing.

I was given in the hospital major pain mess and I was able to take home some that are pretty strong as well. I took them for about 2 and a half weeks and again for the DVT which was more painful.

Although I suppose doctors treatments may vary, you may want to consider seeing another ortho doctor to get their opinion if you are able because what you say doesn't seem right, from my own experience.

Hope you feel better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
To all
I'm a RN and well aware of the detrimental affects of smoking.
However-I do know that a DR Who says "if you still smoked you would never walk again" is talking rubbish. Not everyone who smokes ends up with poor arterial circulation or healing and indeed there are many out there who don't smoke but who are obese and have a diet high in refined carbs, low in vitamins and nutrients and fiber who will have just as many problems as a smoker who has a good diet and is within normal weight range, however I know that medical professionals see it as more PC to tackle someone about smoking than they do re obesity and bad dietary habits.

PLUS- as a caring HCP when someone is in pain, traumatised and depressed I know that I wouldn't even be mentioning smoking, diet or losing weight.

That was my point-that there's a time and place for everything and it's about prioritizing someone's needs at the time.

If this hadn't been emergency surgery the time to discuss smoking ,diet and weight loss would have been well before the surgery, ie before the anesthesia. In the scheme of things,however, a smoker who has abdominal or thoracic surgery is more likely to have post op complications because of the effect the incision has on ability to breath deeply and cough.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,686 times
Whathenews and all other great to see this i just fell 3 ft out of a trailer at work after the steps were moved for parking lot repairs. i am single with a 1 yr old puppy and a new home. i am devastated and depressed and i am not even a month into this. I had this happen on 10/29 i had my first surgery on 10/30 woke up to an external fixator contraption. had that 13 days and had 2nd surgery 11/13 woke up to this huge ace bandage with a little machine on it. 4 days after discharge 11/16 i went to dr they took off the huge ace bandage that i couldn't believe how much stuffing came out from under that thing and on went the cast after they bent my foot up forward trying to get what they call the neutral position PAIN!!!!. here it is now 11/26 and i hate the cast. i am being told NON WEIGHT BEARING for 3 months! OH MY! I have a 2 story home with the bathroom on the second floor so i scoot up and down on my butt because the crutches just don't give me stability. i have a walker at the top of the steps to get me to the bathroom and my bedroom when i reach my destination. i have one of those roller chairs down stairs that i get around on and it works like the knee scooter i can rest my knee on it which is nice. I have a friend that is kind enough to be staying with me and waiting on me and taking my puppy out to walk, potty, and play. 3 months is going to be an awfully long time. i was very active prior to this so i am at a loss for what to do.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenankle View Post
Whathenews and all other great to see this i just fell 3 ft out of a trailer at work after the steps were moved for parking lot repairs. i am single with a 1 yr old puppy and a new home. i am devastated and depressed and i am not even a month into this. I had this happen on 10/29 i had my first surgery on 10/30 woke up to an external fixator contraption. had that 13 days and had 2nd surgery 11/13 woke up to this huge ace bandage with a little machine on it. 4 days after discharge 11/16 i went to dr they took off the huge ace bandage that i couldn't believe how much stuffing came out from under that thing and on went the cast after they bent my foot up forward trying to get what they call the neutral position PAIN!!!!. here it is now 11/26 and i hate the cast. i am being told NON WEIGHT BEARING for 3 months! OH MY! I have a 2 story home with the bathroom on the second floor so i scoot up and down on my butt because the crutches just don't give me stability. i have a walker at the top of the steps to get me to the bathroom and my bedroom when i reach my destination. i have one of those roller chairs down stairs that i get around on and it works like the knee scooter i can rest my knee on it which is nice. I have a friend that is kind enough to be staying with me and waiting on me and taking my puppy out to walk, potty, and play. 3 months is going to be an awfully long time. i was very active prior to this so i am at a loss for what to do.
I lived in a place that only had a bathroom upstairs, it was not fun. I would probably keep one of those toilet seat/5 gallon bucket contraptions stashed somewhere downstairs for absolute emergencies if I had lived there when I had the broken leg.

I'm so glad you have a friend staying with you and helping you, it will make things a lot better.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
I broke my ankle 4 weeks ago just by tripping over. I had surgery involving plates and screws a week after the accident and have never experienced pain like it. The pain is manageable with paracetamol and at first I took tramadol as well. But I find the worst is the intense tingling in my foot particularly at night. I find it very difficult to sleep and only doze intermittently through the night. I just wonder when this will ease? I have to go back to the hospital in 3 weeks to have the cast removed so hope things will get more comfortable then.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
i dont understand why your dr would tell you if you smoke you will never walk again, dont get me wrong smoking is so bad for you, but i had bimalleor fracture surgery and was in cast for 6 weeks, went back to the dr at that time and had xrays and was moved to the boot and told to start weight bearing, i am also 44 years old, i mean im not saying that smoking doesnt help in healing, but i healed the same way as if i didnt smoke.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
B/c smoking reduces blood flow. That's why smokers' babies are at risk for low birth weight. I know some plastic surgeons who won't operate until a patient stops smoking. Others require the patch until healing is over.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-08-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
I'm not sure if this forum is still open or not, but I'm going to tell you all my story anyway because I need to talk to someone (even if it's a dead forum)

My name is Chris, and I broke my right ankle (Tibia, and Fibula) on the 22nd, all I did was slip in some wet grass. I went into surgery about 4 days later. It's been about a week or so and I've just been laying in bed the whole time. Of course, when I need to use the restroom I use my crutches. But when I stand up after having my leg elevated for so long, all of the pressure and I assume blood flow rushes to where my stitches are and I feel as though my foot is going to explode..it's excruciating! I'm kind of worried about my stitches opening, bleeding, etc. I've never had stitches, nor have I ever broken a bone. I'm scared, and I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance. Maybe if you have the same problem or can explain the pressure I feel in my foot when I stand, that'll help.

Thank you, and I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Happy holidays!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJohnsonn View Post
I'm not sure if this forum is still open or not, but I'm going to tell you all my story anyway because I need to talk to someone (even if it's a dead forum)

My name is Chris, and I broke my right ankle (Tibia, and Fibula) on the 22nd, all I did was slip in some wet grass. I went into surgery about 4 days later. It's been about a week or so and I've just been laying in bed the whole time. Of course, when I need to use the restroom I use my crutches. But when I stand up after having my leg elevated for so long, all of the pressure and I assume blood flow rushes to where my stitches are and I feel as though my foot is going to explode..it's excruciating! I'm kind of worried about my stitches opening, bleeding, etc. I've never had stitches, nor have I ever broken a bone. I'm scared, and I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance. Maybe if you have the same problem or can explain the pressure I feel in my foot when I stand, that'll help.

Thank you, and I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Happy holidays!
First off, I'm sorry for your injury. I am married to an Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle surgeon, and he has fixed hundreds, maybe even a thousand or more Tib/Fib fractures, so I have second hand experience about them listening to his conversations and learning from him over the years. Every now and then I press him for detail, and I have been shocked to learn just how life altering fractures requiring surgery can be and how long the healing process takes.

Lots of people don't really realize how major this surgery is, how long the recovery and rehab period is, or how much pain and discomfort is involved. Some people think "It's just a broken bone" and things especially like the hand and foot get even less attention, but the fact is, they are incredibly complex anatomically and difficult to fix such that you get back to 100%. So, understand that you have had major surgery and it will take you months and months to get whole again, and if people don't understand or respect that, give yourself a break and find the best support system you can.

You can fracture something in a myriad of ways. Sure, it would be great if you could say you broke your foot skiing or hiking or something really sexy like that, but a huge number of fractures happen just like yours did- a slip, a fall or otherwise just engaging in everyday activities. They are no less serious or extensive than any other fracture.

I would definitely encourage you to stay in touch with your surgeon's office so you can share your concerns. Don't be surprised if the surgeon him/her self is not the one you talk to, but rather their nurse or assistant. They can help you navigate the recovery and set up realistic expectations with you. Make sure to bring these issues up at the Post Op visit, or sooner, if you feel you need to.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsupstacy View Post
Took the kids ice skating on Dec 27. My son fell into my skate and my foot and I fell in different directions. It's not just broken, it's Sofa King Broken! Shattered the ankle, broke tibia and fibula, and tore just about all the ligaments and tendons possible. Got surgery 24 hours later, stayed in the worst hospital ever until New Years Eve, and now I'm home. Besides being in excruciating pain non-stop, I am finding out how utterly useless I am. Depression is setting in big time. I've had my MIL and husband home from work but all that changes come Monday when she leaves town and he goes back to work.

I would to love to hear anything and everything about your experience, should you or someone close to you have been through it. I'm looking for tips on mobility, pain control, getting through day-to-day tasks, and staying sane through this very lengthy ordeal. Also, recovery time and phases, nutrition tips, vitamins, pretty much anything ya got.

Happy New Year, everyone.

I've had approximately 40 operations due to degenerative arthritis, including foot surgery. You are complaining about being in pain after a week. Give me a break. It will most likely take a month or more to heal. I just had a lumbar fusion and I am still in pain after three months. Everything will heal eventually. If you are in pain and not taking pain meds... it's your fault and you have no right to complain unless you want sympathy.

My wife is a hospice nurse and there are people that are within weeks of dying and in constant pain and their family is prohibiting the giving of pain meds that were ordered by the hospice dr. because they don't want their "loved ones" to become addicted. When you take pain meds and are in pain, in my 10 year experience I have NEVER once felt high, just pain relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness