Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have only seen MDs, and on a few cases, found myself in the office of an OD, osteopathic doctor, if in an immediate care office. Right now, I have a doctor I really like. He is smart, talks to me like I'm smart, knows I have a good memory of my health issues, their timing, and their treatment method, and is down to earth. Dang, it's hard to find those types of doctors. Obviously, I see a dentist as well.

I saw a physical therapist to rehabilitate a hand that was injured. She had a regimen of exercises and it worked out very well.

I saw a chiropractor once and found him to be awful. Not only that, they want you to keep coming back. I ended that situation. The sprain either felt better with the passage of time, with his twisting and turning, or both. I will never know.

Additionally, I do not believe in naturopaths, alternative medicine, Eastern medicine, or any other hippy-dippy doctors.

Are you "bread and butter" when it comes to YOUR health care, preferring to avoid alternative certifications in health fields?
I am in very good health, and intend to stay that way. I do not believe, nor do I trust allopathic physicians (MDs), because I have studied health EXTENSIVELY and I have come to the realization that much of what conventional medicine believes is CONTRARY to what is necessary for good health.

Conventional medicine has a place in the world. To repair the badly broken, stop excessive bleeding and possibly administer some medications in the case of severe infections or illnesses (tetanus, for example). But for most illnesses, which are caused by an imbalance in the body, allopathic doctors simply stop the symptoms and do not repair the root cause. Therefore, the symptoms will reappear, or they will manifest themselves in another way.

In the very unlikely event that I would need some kind of medical intervetion, I would first choose a natropathic or holistic practitioner. The only way I would even consider a conventional medical doctor is if my life were in immediate danger due to blood loss, multiple fractures or something like that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
I wouldn't call them 'hippy dippy' doctors...there are countries like China and Japan who utilize natural healing as part of their normal practice,and those countries certainly have better health and longevity than the US so perhaps it's something to keep open minds about.

I've been studying it since 1990 when I started having health issues at too young an age...I couldn't picture myself running to the hospital at that age,so I took a chance and ran to the vitamin store instead and it changed my life forever.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Unsupervised anesthesia care by a nurse anesthetist is a threat to patient safety

"Dr. Jane Fitch, recently elected First Vice President of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, began her career as a nurse anesthetist with a master’s degree. Troubled by her limited knowledge compared to the physicians she worked with, she soon went back for eight more years of education—completing medical school, residency, and then a fellowship in cardiac anesthesiology. While she was a nurse anesthetist, 'I didn’t know how much I didn’t know,' Dr. Fitch says."

The implication seems to be that NPs and MDs (or DOs) arrive at the same competency, just by different routes.

If so, should not a DNP have to demonstrate that? Should a DNP have to pass all three parts of the USMLE exam? DNPs did not do too well on the watered down version of Step III designed just for them. The pass rate was about 50%.

Medicine decries nurse doctorate exam being touted as equal to physician testing - amednews.com

NPs do not have the same training as physicians.

Do you personally see an NP for your medical care?
You are once again showing your ignorance on the subject....

Fact is CRNA's provide the majority of anesthesia services in this country....

I have been and will continue to be treated by PA's and NP's

I have been a PA for over 20 years, I have assisted in surgery performing side by side with the surgeon (almost always with a CRNA performing the anesthesia by the way)

I delivered babies during my training, perform in office procedures and minor surgical procedures on a regular basis...

You don't want to see a PA or NP I could care less but stop spouting ignorant ill informed comments while surfing blogs to try back up your "opinions"

Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I wouldn't call them 'hippy dippy' doctors...there are countries like China and Japan who utilize natural healing as part of their normal practice,and those countries certainly have better health and longevity than the US so perhaps it's something to keep open minds about.

I've been studying it since 1990 when I started having health issues at too young an age...I couldn't picture myself running to the hospital at that age,so I took a chance and ran to the vitamin store instead and it changed my life forever.
You are mistaken....

Only recently has China even come close to US life expectancy, as recently as 40 years ago average life expectancy in China was 20 years LESS than in the US.

So much for "ancient Chinese medicine"

Male Life Expectancy in China, Europe, USA and India, 1950 - 2050

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
For years I was routinely given antibiotics for bronchitis and pneumonia by nurse-practitioners and physician's assistants, until I swtiched to an MD who recognized that I probably needed surgery for a deviated septum. Since the surgery 10 years ago I've only had bronchitis once.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Naturopaths do not receive the same education as allopathic or osteopathic physicians.

I am well acquainted with Duke Integrative Medicine Center.....you should notice it does NOT employ naturopaths.....
Probably because NC does not recognize their certification. Other states do, though.

Also, how do you know that they don't receive the same education?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
You are once again showing your ignorance on the subject....

Fact is CRNA's provide the majority of anesthesia services in this country....

I have been and will continue to be treated by PA's and NP's

I have been a PA for over 20 years, I have assisted in surgery performing side by side with the surgeon (almost always with a CRNA performing the anesthesia by the way)

I delivered babies during my training, perform in office procedures and minor surgical procedures on a regular basis...

You don't want to see a PA or NP I could care less but stop spouting ignorant ill informed comments while surfing blogs to try back up your "opinions"
Let me clarify my position.

I prefer to see an MD or DO because the education for those degrees is more stringent. The average MD or DO has seen more patients by the end of training than an NP or PA. MDs, DOs, NPs, and PAs continue to get "on the job" training after going into practice and all are required to to get continuing education. The continuing education for NPs is geared to NPs, that for PAs to PAs, and that for MDs and DOs to physicians. The training for all of them is, throughout professional life, different. It is not the same. My previous posts have been directed at comments that imply that physicians, NPs and PAs all have the same training and that NPs are "replacements" for "GPs" and family practitioners. They do not have the same training and NPs and PAs do not "replace" physicians.

The bottom line is that an NP might know that drugs A, B, C, and D are all used to treat hypertension and what the doses are but lack the foundation in physiology and pharmacology to understand why an individual patient should use drug C and not drug A. So I am fine with the NP seeing a patient who is well controlled on drug C and renewing the prescription. I do not think the NP should make the initial treatment decision without input from a physician. I think independent practice for an NP is not a good idea. If the rationale for doing it is to save money, it results in a two tier system.

The other issue I have is with the DNP process. It was developed only to allow NPs to call themselves "doctor". An online "doctorate" that requires not a single hour of instruction in clinical diagnosis and management of disease, as best I can tell, will not turn a nurse into a physician. Get the DNP if you wish, but do not use the title in a clinical situation in which it will mislead many patients into thinking a DNP is a physician. It is, to me, unethical.

The role of a PA is different. There is no push for independent practice that I am aware of, all though there is one to "rebrand" PAs as "physician associates." As a PA, you relieve your physicians of some of the routine things that have to be done but do not require the skill set of a physician. I understand that. I would have no problem with your fitting me for a brace, changing a dressing, dictating procedure notes, removing staples, or the hundreds of other things you do. I would not want you deciding whether I need surgery or not, and if I were referred to your practice I would want to see the physician for the evaluation of my condition. Sorry, but I do want his skill set to determine my treatment, not yours. You do not replace your orthopedist, you assist him.

An NP does not replace a physician, either, and the NP should not be in a position to evaluate new problems and initiate treatment without supervision by a physician.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
You are mistaken....

Only recently has China even come close to US life expectancy, as recently as 40 years ago average life expectancy in China was 20 years LESS than in the US.

So much for "ancient Chinese medicine"

Male Life Expectancy in China, Europe, USA and India, 1950 - 2050
Yes, that may be true, but a lot of life expectancy has to do with genetics as well (if your grand mother and mother lived to be 90 the odds are very high that you will live to be 90 too).

What you need to look at is the overall health of the people. Are 45 percent of them on some kind of medication? Are 75 percent of the people over 65 on as many as 15 different prescriptions?

Until the cigarette companies decided to flood the third world countries with cigarettes, and the importation of western styled foods (McDonalds, prepackaged garbage), cancer and heart disease were not a problem, sadly in the past 30 or so years, this has changed dramatically. However, for the most part people in other countries remain healthy and active throughout old age until their death.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yes, that may be true, but a lot of life expectancy has to do with genetics as well (if your grand mother and mother lived to be 90 the odds are very high that you will live to be 90 too).

What you need to look at is the overall health of the people. Are 45 percent of them on some kind of medication? Are 75 percent of the people over 65 on as many as 15 different prescriptions?

Until the cigarette companies decided to flood the third world countries with cigarettes, and the importation of western styled foods (McDonalds, prepackaged garbage), cancer and heart disease were not a problem, sadly in the past 30 or so years, this has changed dramatically. However, for the most part people in other countries remain healthy and active throughout old age until their death.

20yrsinBranson
It's hard to compare US to China when China has no numbers to compare.

http://medicine.yale.edu/core/projec...%20et%20al.pdf

"Owing to the lack of a nationwide standard disease registration and classification system in China, there is no precise information about the number of events or deaths from CHD [coronary heart disease]available for the whole country."

China itself is the world's largest producer of tobacco. It appears that any illnesses related to it are home-grown, not imported.

The US accounts for 7.2% of world exports of tobacco and China 6.6%. Brazil exports about three times as much as the US.

The McDonald's menu in China is not the same as the US menu. It has more chicken options and fewer beef.

Some cancers in China are decreasing and some increasing, but the US has nothing to do with it.

On lifespan and genetics:

Genetic influence on human lifespan and longevity. [Hum Genet. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

"Human family studies have indicated that a modest amount of the overall variation in adult lifespan (approximately 20-30%) is accounted for by genetic factors."

"While the estimated overall strength of genetic influence is compatible with previous studies, we find that genetic influences on lifespan are minimal prior to age 60 but increase thereafter."

The study used twins and found a greater correlation for identical twins than for fraternal twins.

The Swedes found life style trumped genetics:

Lifestyle affects life expectancy more than genetics, Swedish study finds

Having long lived parents may increase the chance you will also live longer, but life style can make the difference in achieving your longevity potential. Having parents who died young is not a guarantee you will also die young. You can do something about it.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Let me clarify my position.

I prefer to see an MD or DO because the education for those degrees is more stringent. The average MD or DO has seen more patients by the end of training than an NP or PA. MDs, DOs, NPs, and PAs continue to get "on the job" training after going into practice and all are required to to get continuing education. The continuing education for NPs is geared to NPs, that for PAs to PAs, and that for MDs and DOs to physicians. The training for all of them is, throughout professional life, different. It is not the same. My previous posts have been directed at comments that imply that physicians, NPs and PAs all have the same training and that NPs are "replacements" for "GPs" and family practitioners. They do not have the same training and NPs and PAs do not "replace" physicians.

The bottom line is that an NP might know that drugs A, B, C, and D are all used to treat hypertension and what the doses are but lack the foundation in physiology and pharmacology to understand why an individual patient should use drug C and not drug A. So I am fine with the NP seeing a patient who is well controlled on drug C and renewing the prescription. I do not think the NP should make the initial treatment decision without input from a physician. I think independent practice for an NP is not a good idea. If the rationale for doing it is to save money, it results in a two tier system.

The other issue I have is with the DNP process. It was developed only to allow NPs to call themselves "doctor". An online "doctorate" that requires not a single hour of instruction in clinical diagnosis and management of disease, as best I can tell, will not turn a nurse into a physician. Get the DNP if you wish, but do not use the title in a clinical situation in which it will mislead many patients into thinking a DNP is a physician. It is, to me, unethical.

The role of a PA is different. There is no push for independent practice that I am aware of, all though there is one to "rebrand" PAs as "physician associates." As a PA, you relieve your physicians of some of the routine things that have to be done but do not require the skill set of a physician. I understand that. I would have no problem with your fitting me for a brace, changing a dressing, dictating procedure notes, removing staples, or the hundreds of other things you do. I would not want you deciding whether I need surgery or not, and if I were referred to your practice I would want to see the physician for the evaluation of my condition. Sorry, but I do want his skill set to determine my treatment, not yours. You do not replace your orthopedist, you assist him.

An NP does not replace a physician, either, and the NP should not be in a position to evaluate new problems and initiate treatment without supervision by a physician.
You think you know what PA's do, you think you know what training we have, in reality you have no clue and that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness