Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am also offended by the arrogance of the OP's post, claiming doctors other than M.D.'s are fake. It's fine to have your own preferences, but no need to disparage others in the process.
If you read the whole post, you will see that I don't. The mind can work wonders between conjuring up a thread title and then fleshing out the first post.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't know which post you are addressing, or maybe the concept in the OP, but I'm asking who one is willing to see and whose services to pay for. I do NOT have a problem with DOs, NPs and PAs, at all. The health practitioners I explicitly said I would avoid are naturopaths, chiropractors, and massage therapists (who also need licenses). All of these can, and have, identified ailments and written the correct Rx s, so I'm fine with their competence.

I don't believe in some of the newer ancillary health professionals such as naturopaths because a health food proponent when I was younger, named Ewell (sp) Gibbons, died at 64, and our family has people who died in their mid-80s, smoking and feasting on carbs nonstop, getting neither cancer nor diabetes.
Your logic leaves much to be desired. Just because a health food proponent died early, and your relatives lived a long time proves absolutely nothing. There are many variables in longevity and health - you know nothing about Gibbons pre-existing conditions or anything else about him . . .your assertion is just simplistic and nonsensical.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Why avoid a massage therapist? Are they different from people you get regular messages from?

Lol. I don't do massages. I have no clue.
I've only had 2. They were post-sprain. One was helpful. The other was useless. Some people go regularly. I can't relate. That would be like seeing a chiropractor for regular "adjustments."

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you read the whole post, you will see that I don't.
What's that quote from Dazed and Confused?

"Don't write a check your butt can't cash."

Thanks for giving me a reason to use it.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Your logic leaves much to be desired. Just because a health food proponent died early, and your relatives lived a long time proves absolutely nothing. There are many variables in longevity and health - you know nothing about Gibbons pre-existing conditions or anything else about him . . .your assertion is just simplistic and nonsensical.
Actually, what I'm saying makes a lot of sense. If one comes from a long line of octagenarians, they will probably become one, too. I'm sure a genetics course or study would bear that out. That's why the intake forms at the docs ask which ailments and at what age next of kin have and have died, respectively.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'll tell you one thing for sure - I know the PA who saw me last time, did NOT know what she was talking about. She told me I had to continue following my strict diet to keep my cholesterol down. She told me she wanted me to stop taking Ambien, because it's a dangerous, controlled addictive narcotic.

I'm not ON a diet, strict or otherwise, and my cholesterol is down, because it never went up. It is, what it usually is. I don't have a cholesterol problem. My triglycerides are a tad on the high side, but still within normal range. And Ambien is not, and never was, a narcotic. Nor is it addictive. I am dependent on it, but if I wasn't, I wouldn't need it in the first place. I need it -because- without it, I can't sleep. She wanted to put me on an antipsychotic for me to sleep, instead of a drug that is designed -specifically- to help people sleep.

So maybe YOU have as much training as a brain surgeon, bluedevilz. The PA I saw - well let's just say, if I ever needed brain surgery, I'd sooner ask the guy who painted my house to do it, than the PA.
I think this is an excellent idea for you to pursue.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM

OP must lobby for the AMA . . . is anyone here familiar with the oppressive tactics of the AMA towards practitioners that are not M.D.'s? This prejudice has spilled over into the groupthink of the general population who gets most of their news from TV soundbites.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
OP must lobby for the AMA . . . is anyone here familiar with the oppressive tactics of the AMA towards practitioners that are not M.D.'s? This prejudice has spilled over into the groupthink of the general population who gets most of their news from TV soundbites.
Yup... The AMA spits blood when you say mid level practitioner.

Lol

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM

OP: What is your beef with massage therapists?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
MDs and osteopaths often practice in the same groups in a manner that looks amicable. If there is "behind the scenes" discord, I'm not aware of it.

Like I've said, I have seen osteopaths, and I've never complained when I've been scheduled with the PAs, clamoring for the MD instead. Read the entire post(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness