Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
You don't need to be a DR to diagnose-in fact many NPs do a better job than Doctors.
Umm, I'd say most Doctor's do a way better job at diagnosing than NP's. NP's rarely even know what imaging studies to order to make a diagnosis.

I've had bad exeriences as well OP. Unfortunately this is becoming a trend, but good thing it was corrected by her supervising doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
It takes me 5 minutes to log in to my state's medical board's website to file a complaint, as well as file a complaint at my clinic. I find it ironic that you accuse me of "bad mouthing nurses" as though the nurse should not be criticized for her clear lack of following proper medical and legal procedures. Then you disparage me for saying I may not file a complaint.

So I should praise the nurse for trying to prescribe me the wrong antibiotics without properly examining me or performing the necessary tests? I shouldn't hold her accountable for her actions? Of course I will. But it's my choice. Until you walk in my shoes, hold off on the disparaging remarks okay? And if you read the title of my post, it says "mini rant" not "praise for good nurses."

No, the issue isn't my physical symptoms. It's how a nurse with an advanced nursing degree didn't do her job properly and avoided trouble because I went to see her boss, the doctor, instead who finished the examination of my symptoms, properly diagnosed me, and prescribed me the correct medication.
Whats suggested that you contact the Board with a complaint after you stated that you weren't going to do so. My comment referred to your statement that the NP didn't examine you for your original complaint. As for her prescribing practices, there are at least 5-6 different medications that are appropriate for the treatment of UTIs. In any case, you definitely should stick with the MD. You be sweet.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Umm, I'd say most Doctor's do a way better job at diagnosing than NP's. NP's rarely even know what imaging studies to order to make a diagnosis.

I've had bad exeriences as well OP. Unfortunately this is becoming a trend, but good thing it was corrected by her supervising doctor.
What is "becoming a trend"? your bad experiences or NPs having trouble (says you) ordering imaging studies?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Are doctors so lazy as to let their nursing staff hand out medication without giving the patient a reason?

It's not laziness. There are 51 countries in the world that have more doctors per capita than the US, and this country is going to experience a mind-boggling crisis of doctor shortage if/when medical care is expanded to include everyone.

You had better start getting used to people below the level of doctor making all kinds of health-care decisions. Half the doctors in the world would come to America in a minute, if we would let them come in and practice medicine -- many of them are very likely better doctors than the American ones, who have no ability at all to diagnose, except to read test results, determine that they are outside normal parameters, and write the Rx for it that has been sold to him by Big Pharma's salesmen..

Where can I find one of these "lazy doctors" whose nurse will renew my ongoing Rx without charging me for the copay for the office call and the tests that he will prescribe which will continue to show the same results as I have had for the past 20 years?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
What is "becoming a trend"? your bad experiences or NPs having trouble (says you) ordering imaging studies?
NP's having trouble with ordering imaging studies. They graduate with less clinical experience than 3rd year medical students and through legislation have been allowed independent practice.

Google direct entry NP programs. It is worrisome.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post

I completely agree that it's becoming a trend and that I followed up with the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Whats suggested that you contact the Board with a complaint after you stated that you weren't going to do so. My comment referred to your statement that the NP didn't examine you for your original complaint. As for her prescribing practices, there are at least 5-6 different medications that are appropriate for the treatment of UTIs. In any case, you definitely should stick with the MD. You be sweet.
After my late dinner this evening I sent two emails with my complaint; one to the state medical board and one to the manager of my clinic.

The nurse didn't even glance at my online chart to see what medications I'm allergic to. And her prescription choice was not in any of the top choices used for UTIs. Not in the same universe because SHE DIDNT THINK I HAD A UTI AND NEVER EVEN MENTIONED IT. It was the doctor who did the dipstick test AT MY INSISTENCE. It was the doctor who prescribed the correct antibiotic BECAUSE HE READ MY MEDICAL CHART unlike the nurse who didn't even bother to.

Why do you insist on defending this nurse when it's clear she didn't do her job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's not laziness. There are 51 countries in the world that have more doctors per capita than the US, and this country is going to experience a mind-boggling crisis of doctor shortage if/when medical care is expanded to include everyone.

You had better start getting used to people below the level of doctor making all kinds of health-care decisions. Half the doctors in the world would come to America in a minute, if we would let them come in and practice medicine -- many of them are very likely better doctors than the American ones, who have no ability at all to diagnose, except to read test results, determine that they are outside normal parameters, and write the Rx for it that has been sold to him by Big Pharma's salesmen..

Where can I find one of these "lazy doctors" whose nurse will renew my ongoing Rx without charging me for the copay for the office call and the tests that he will prescribe which will continue to show the same results as I have had for the past 20 years?
jtur88, what would you call this nurse's inability to properly examine, test and diagnose my UTI then? She was negligent, plain and simple and tonight I addressed that with two emails - one to the clinic and one to my state's medical board. So despite her doctor's well meaning intervention because I requested the appointment to directly talk to him about what happened, I want the clinic manager and a state representative to follow up with this nurse and her actions to ensure she is disciplined properly for what she did. And I have no qualms about returning to that same gynecologist despite the fact that one of his nurses screwed up royally this week.

There is no way I will ever put my health care decisions in the hands of a nurse. Never. I lived abroad in Asia and in Europe throughout my life and have to say that it's not a doctor shortage that is the problem, but the trend of bad healthcare providers, due to lack of accountability and lack of professional development opportunities to ensure they are up to date on medical procedures and such.

There are bad doctors and bad nurses. But that's true for every profession. This week, a nurse screwed up and I held her accountable for it. As a patient, it irritates me when I'm put in the position where I have to advocate for myself and make a stink to ensure that my healthcare provider is held accountable for her mistakes, because I shouldn't have to considering how much I pay in health insurance.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Quote:
Yes, she is an advanced practice nurse. But that still doesn't excuse her flaky reasoning to prescribe me antibiotics without properly diagnosing me. If she knew I had a UTI then she is required by law to say so. But she didn't. She gave me the vague "just in case" excuse, which left me in a panic thinking, "in case of what exactly!?" Hence my rant here. I don't want to take antibiotics if I don't know what the reason is for. Plus if she doesn't tell me it's a UTI, how does she know which antibiotics to prescribe since she's not a doctor. Does that make sense at all?
OOPs, I pressed the wrong button. I did NOT mean to give you a rep point.

If you don't like the care you received from the nurse practitioner, complain the GYN MD, or file a complaint with the state. Perhaps if you tried to communicate vs argue with her, she would have explained things more thoroughly.

In addition, Payment for care is NOT based on your satisfaction with the said care. You are paying for a service. you recieved a service. Take some responsibility and pay for the service!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:33 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,993 times
....you had a flakey nurse. She was probably surprised that you were taking rx for a sinus infection and was processing in her mind whether or not the rx from the SI could have caused the UTI - which reinforced her reasoning to prescribe in the first place. Drink a lot of cranberry juice and request to see the actual doctor next time....I wouldn't complain because you'll get her in trouble and it sounds like a communication.social norms mix up. I hope yoe feel good soon - those hurt!
Aren't nurses that can prescribe trained to write scrpits and diagnose?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
OOPs, I pressed the wrong button. I did NOT mean to give you a rep point.

If you don't like the care you received from the nurse practitioner, complain the GYN MD, or file a complaint with the state. Perhaps if you tried to communicate vs argue with her, she would have explained things more thoroughly.

In addition, Payment for care is NOT based on your satisfaction with the said care. You are paying for a service. you recieved a service. Take some responsibility and pay for the service!
Wow, you really told me, didn't you?

The nurse didn't explain anything to me as she didn't know what she was doing. That was clear. I asked her plenty of questions. Plenty. Don't make assumptions about my office visit and then try to argue based on those assumptions. You can't win an argument that way. It's not possible.

I didn't go to grad school to become a nurse, and it's not my job as a patient to tell a nurse how to do her job correctly. If she can't answer my questions, or doesn't have the foresight to test for a UTI based on the symptoms I complain about...that's not my fault or my doing. That shows her clear lack of knowledge and inability to take responsibility. And by responsibility, I mean, she could have left the room, gone and consulted with another nurse or doctor, and then returned and tested me for UTI. Am I supposed to tell a nurse what to do when I make an appointment with her?

The nurse was incompetent. I expect to be treated professionally when I go to the doctor. You state that I"m paying for a service and received a service. Where in my thread have I stated that I don't pay for my health insurance? Moderator cut: rude . How am I not being responsible, when I hold an incompetent nurse practitioner responsible for her mistakes which were at my expense, or should I say, my health's expense?! The nurse didn't even know I had a UTI, but the doctor did.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-12-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
....you had a flakey nurse. She was probably surprised that you were taking rx for a sinus infection and was processing in her mind whether or not the rx from the SI could have caused the UTI - which reinforced her reasoning to prescribe in the first place. Drink a lot of cranberry juice and request to see the actual doctor next time....I wouldn't complain because you'll get her in trouble and it sounds like a communication.social norms mix up. I hope yoe feel good soon - those hurt!
Aren't nurses that can prescribe trained to write scrpits and diagnose?
She was flakey and incompetent (strong word, but that's how I feel as my sister is a nurse who would never make such a dumb error as this nurse did).

Well, this nurse didn't even look at my online chart to see which antibiotics I'd been prescribed for my sinus infection. Normally I would refuse to take an antibiotic for my sinus infection, but it was so bad that I had to consult with an otolaryngologist because I have a deviated septum and discussed the possibility of having sinus surgery done. But that's besides the point.

Who knows what the nurse was thinking? What was clear, is that she didn't have the foresight to test me for a UTI. I had to ask the gynecologist to do that and go back the next day to get that test done. It was so frustrating beyond belief because if I hadn't done that, I'd be taking an antibiotic without knowing why, that is the wrong antibiotic for UTI treatment.

I already complained as I posted in this thread to the doctor, the manager of the clinic and the state board. She needs to be held accountable for being allowed to hand out prescriptions to patients without giving them a proper diagnosis or doing the proper testing first.

I'll try the cranberry juice in the future. Thanks for that tip.

Yes, advanced degree nurses are supposed to be trained to diagnose and write scripts, but they have to have everything approved by their supervising doctor to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness