U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 52,993,671 times

Advertisements

Again we learn the importance of 2nd opinion or even 3rd.

Page 2: Rock Star With 'Curable' Dementia Nearly Loses Career Before Shunt Surgery - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM

6,044 posts, read 23,810,166 times
It's very sad that people assume that forgetfulness and even dementia are a normal part of aging. For what my humble opinion is worth, anyone having cognitive changes should be seen by a neurologist. And it's very sad that the doctor that the person was seeing originally did not refer the person to a neurologist for evaluation.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM

1,691 posts, read 4,249,806 times
OOOOOOhhhhh please! A few years ago at the ripe age of 55 with no past cognitive issues I was in an accident. I was flown to the main island where the big hospital is (Oahu). There it was found that I couldn't tell them my name; I couldn't tell them anything, I didn't even know my own name. They did MRI, psych interns camped outside my hospital room door, etc... After the back surgery in which I never signed a consent for it was determined I had Alzheimers Dementia and encephalopathy. The MRI was normal BTW. For 10 months I was treated like an invalid and horrible, absolutely tragic circumstances arose from all it that changed my life forever. It was when my mom finally found me and I talked to her on the phone is when my memory came back.

That was a couple years ago and I'm just now starting to get my head above water. The legal complications, the physical complications are astounding. Because it was assumed I was a vegetable I was not afforded the standard of care that should have been.

When I looked through the MR I found that the tech from when they did the MRI in the hospital wrote in his notes that I had told him that I lost my memory...I had a rare case of amnesia that a second grader could have diagnosed.

Always insist on a second opinion.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM

28 posts, read 52,319 times
some instances of cognitive decline could very well be medication related or nutritional problems such as low B12 levels--particularly in the elderly--so yes obviously 2nd opinions are useful in getting a clearer diagnosis

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM

10,365 posts, read 20,496,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post

When I looked through the MR I found that the tech from when they did the MRI in the hospital wrote in his notes that I had told him that I lost my memory...I had a rare case of amnesia that a second grader could have diagnosed.

Always insist on a second opinion.
Just out of curiosity were you on statins at the time? I've heard of rare cases where statins caused what you're talking about and in my family every single person who has taken them has suffered some form of memory loss while they were on them. A couple of years ago I thought my aunt was getting Alzheimer's but now she is back to herself again and she said she dropped all of her meds.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM

1,691 posts, read 4,249,806 times
No statins but a lot of stress. There is a warning of possible memory loss when taking statins. Do a search...there is a lot of info about it. Apparently it's been known but only recently have drug companies put the warning on their statins that they could cause memory loss. People taking statins need to weigh the consequences of taking the med or not. The degree of memory loss is individual and therefore needs to be considered against the possibility of what could happen. Could there be memory loss and if so how much, could there be a cardiac concerns and if so how much, could there be another way to lower my cholesterol, ect..

FDA adds diabetes, memory loss warnings to statins | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness