Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Starting this thread because I think I have the flu, but it's not like any other flu I've had in the past. I got my flu shot in October 2012, and now I'm sick.

My symptoms:

1/14 - early morning the toilet was my best friend, I was either kissing it or sitting on it off and on for hours.
(got in under control and I went to work anyhow blamed it on the laxative I took the night before). Gradually felt worse as the day went on, headache, lethargic, achey painy, but no sniffles no cough, no sore throat. Went home from work 1/2 hour early and went to bed immediately. I had tightness in my chest like stabbing pain, indigestion is what it was, took the pink stuff drank lots of water and it subsided. Fever 101F. Chills, wished the pain away.

1/15 - felt about 40% better went to work. As the day dragged on felt worse and worse, took an Aleve and toughed out the day. Got in bed, ate dinner, went to bed. Had nausea overnight, didn't toss dinner, just fitful sleep, was awful.

1/16 - temp 96.6F home from work this morning, probably will go in later today to clear off my desk and stay home tomorrow and Friday.

Anyone else not have all the usual symptoms of flu, but still have "the flu"?

I am surprised that I don't need tissues lozenges or decongestant, this flu strain is very very strange!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Starting this thread because I think I have the flu, but it's not like any other flu I've had in the past. I got my flu shot in October 2012, and now I'm sick.

My symptoms:

1/14 - early morning the toilet was my best friend, I was either kissing it or sitting on it off and on for hours.
(got in under control and I went to work anyhow blamed it on the laxative I took the night before). Gradually felt worse as the day went on, headache, lethargic, achey painy, but no sniffles no cough, no sore throat. Went home from work 1/2 hour early and went to bed immediately. I had tightness in my chest like stabbing pain, indigestion is what it was, took the pink stuff drank lots of water and it subsided. Fever 101F. Chills, wished the pain away.

1/15 - felt about 40% better went to work. As the day dragged on felt worse and worse, took an Aleve and toughed out the day. Got in bed, ate dinner, went to bed. Had nausea overnight, didn't toss dinner, just fitful sleep, was awful.

1/16 - temp 96.6F home from work this morning, probably will go in later today to clear off my desk and stay home tomorrow and Friday.

Anyone else not have all the usual symptoms of flu, but still have "the flu"?

I am surprised that I don't need tissues lozenges or decongestant, this flu strain is very very strange!
That doesn't sound anything like the flu. It sounds more like a stomach virus (which is also sometimes referred to as "the flu" but isn't really a flu at all).

I never found out if what I had was the flu, but it went away and now I just have a very drippy runny nose. The symptoms I had:
Chest tightness/congestion - like I really -needed- to cough but the muscles just wouldn't work productively. The third day in, I started coughing productively. Neck ache, lower back ache, jaw ache, stuffed nose, general head congestion. It was like a cold, but more achy than a cold. I didn't have a fever that I know of. I might've, but my thermometer broke last year and I keep forgetting I need to buy another one. Hubby said my forehead/cheeks weren't hot though, for what it was worth. Lasted around 5 days, with 2 additional days leading up to it, and a week after the last day, I'm left with this runny nose.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Stomach viruses (often in the norovirus family) are awful - and generally that is what people with severe nausea/vomitting/diarhea are experiencing -- though they call them "Stomach Flu".

Flu is usually symptomatic of high fevers, wracking chills, cold-like symptoms (sore throat, possible congestion), severe body aches, and extreme fatigue.

Often people with the flu feel the fatigue and body aches for up to two weeks, and may often be so debilitated that they can't get out of bed.

You probably had a stomach virus - sorry you were sick.

(There is a very bad norovirus going around this year, and many people have gotten it --- i.e. it is not just a bad flu season, but a bad *lots of things* season!)

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Not sure if this new virus or not but had it for about ten days... shaking and weak, coughing, sneezing and feeling just rotten , depressed with no energy.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Not sure if this new virus or not but had it for about ten days... shaking and weak, coughing, sneezing and feeling just rotten , depressed with no energy.
Now that sounds like the flu.

I should've added in fatigue - I'm not the most energetic person in the first place, but this sickness really threw me for a loop in terms of energy. I felt sluggish.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 27,313 times
Symptoms began at 5:30PM today when I was suddenly stricken with... The scratchy/weird throat (you know what I'm talking about). First thought, "Great. My roommate is just getting over it and I definitely kept my distance, washed my hands and didn't breathe her air." A couple of hours later, lethargic. Odd, usually that happens later on but still, thought maybe it was all just in my head. So, I popped vitamin c and was good to go. Fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 2, and let me tell ya... I can already tell tomorrow will be a treat. I have body aches from head to toe, getting worse by the hour (hence I'm laying in bed still trying to get back asleep looking at "2013 flu virus" on google) throat is getting worse, been nauseated a couple times but luckily I think I squeaked by the whole "stomach portion" of this sickness (my roommate unfortunately did not). Fever is next, I'll update later on. Current body temp is 99.1 ---> here we go.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 AM

17,384 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I've heard that this version of the flu includes stomach illness along with fever, cough, cold, aches and pains.

Not fun.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I'm sure that some nausea may accompany the flu, because anytime your body is that sick (with high fevers) that is not unsual.

However someone who says their #1 symptom was stomach in nature (i.e diarhea, vomitting, etc..) and violent, and continuous for 12+ hours, with the sickness only lasting a couple of days..

Didn't have the flu. Had a norovirus or some other related illness. Doesn't mean they weren't quite sick, just not flu.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
I had flu once in my life. The symptoms of flu are, hot and cold flashes, cold sweats, dizziness, severe fever (headache and elevated temperature), dry cough, shooting pains in extremities. Most people who think they have "flu" have nothing of the sort.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 27,164 times
Sounds like what you had was NOT the flu but was a virus going around called Norovirus. Google it. It is one of three bugs going around. RSV, the flu and Norovirus. Hope I don't get any of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness