U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM

442 posts, read 1,454,335 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My question is, how hard is it to be a doctor? I'm not talking about the academics, but the actual career combined with family life? I'm 25 and have completed first 2 years of college (a little behind, I know) and am Curious if it would be plausible to continue towards a medical career? I'd like to start a family at least by 30 and of course have fair time for my family, so I was thinking of a field that would suit that.

A little more on my background: I've worked in the medical field practically since I was 18, mostly clerical type of jobs and I KNOW I'm smarter than to spend the rest of my life idly shuffling papers. I need a challenge to keep me stimulated, I like researching and I guess what you would call analyzing and critical thinking; however, academically I'm more of an A-B-C student than A/B. I've always admired doctors, especially females who are doctors, and felt that I would love a career that's rewarding and makes a difference in the world.

In addition to any other suitable practices, I was also interested in what Radiologists career is like since that's the area I'm currently shuffling papers in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,164,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Hi,
My question is, how hard is it to be a doctor? I'm not talking about the academics, but the actual career combined with family life? I'm 25 and have completed first 2 years of college (a little behind, I know) and am Curious if it would be plausible to continue towards a medical career? I'd like to start a family at least by 30 and of course have fair time for my family, so I was thinking of a field that would suit that.

A little more on my background: I've worked in the medical field practically since I was 18, mostly clerical type of jobs and I KNOW I'm smarter than to spend the rest of my life idly shuffling papers. I need a challenge to keep me stimulated, I like researching and I guess what you would call analyzing and critical thinking; however, academically I'm more of an A-B-C student than A/B. I've always admired doctors, especially females who are doctors, and felt that I would love a career that's rewarding and makes a difference in the world.

In addition to any other suitable practices, I was also interested in what Radiologists career is like since that's the area I'm currently shuffling papers in.
Most of the people who participate in this forum are laymen, not medical practitioners. You'd probably have better luck getting answers if you asked some actual doctors. Since you've worked in the medical field since you were 18 or so, you probably have lots of resources you can ask to get a more personal perspective.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM

8,451 posts, read 13,348,684 times
For a little bit of insight, you might go to abc.com and watch the full episodes of the shows NY Med and Boston Med (8 videos each) and get an idea. The reality shows especially profile the daily life of the young doctors. Dr. Oz is on hand (in the NY version) and the shows are well-done, for reality TV, IMO.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,812,333 times
There are so many things doctors can do. I work in healthcare and I know some hospitals employ off-site radiologists that sit in the comfort of their homes and review images, and write reports, without ever getting out of their pajamas, for six-figure salaries.

Here's some information about options physicians have, that you might find helpful:
http://fmignet.aafp.org/online/fmig/...e-options.html

Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM

13,939 posts, read 18,854,314 times
You would be hardpressed to start a family until you were in your late 30s if you started your medical training now. You need 2 more years of undergrad and then, presuming you were immediately accepted into med school, it is 4 more years of school plus a year of an internship. You would be 32 before you even were able to practice medicine, and most doctors complete 2 - 6 years of a residency. That leaves you at least 35-37 before you were really making any money - and that's about the earliest you would have time to start a family.

Consider going into medical research instead. You would only need around 4 more years of school (2 to finish your bachelor's and 2 more for a masters) before you could start your career.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM

442 posts, read 1,454,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You would be hardpressed to start a family until you were in your late 30s if you started your medical training now. You need 2 more years of undergrad and then, presuming you were immediately accepted into med school, it is 4 more years of school plus a year of an internship. You would be 32 before you even were able to practice medicine, and most doctors complete 2 - 6 years of a residency. That leaves you at least 35-37 before you were really making any money - and that's about the earliest you would have time to start a family.

Consider going into medical research instead. You would only need around 4 more years of school (2 to finish your bachelor's and 2 more for a masters) before you could start your career.
Thanks, but it's all or nothing for me. I can continue to spend my life working a job I hate being low man on the totem pole or I can work really hard short term and have a much better life. If I'm not going to become a professional than I will most likely leave healthcare all together.

My PCP works part time and has 2 young children, she suggested also that I could be 35 when I'd be able to practice, but not that it would be a bad thing. I was just curious more about the life style, how gruesome it is or if its manageable to balance family & work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness