U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,069,578 times
Reputation: 1074

Advertisements

Suddenly for the last few days I have had an irregular heart beat. There is no pain or shortness of breath but my heart isn't beating as it usually did. Trying to put together the reasons why all of a sudden that might have happened I came up with these. Maybe you can add something or give me advice.
1-Lately I have been consuming a huge amount of salt. The reason is I got into using spices and am using a lot of garlic salt on my breakfast and evening meals. In addition I east peanuts salted in the shell so am getting some salt there(maybe more than I think). I also eat other peanuts with salt on like shelled peanuts almost everyday. That in addition to all the stuff that has salt added to it and there is a lot of salt in a lot of things. So I am over doing the salt, I know that.
2-I drink two small cups of coffee in the morning and in the early evening I drink a McDonalds small coffee. But lately I have also been eating a chunk of dark chocolate after supper. So taken together that is how much caffeine I am getting(however much is in all that).
3-I quit taking a baby aspirin a day after taking them each day for many years. I don't know if that has an effect on the heart or not.
4-I have been eating more lately and more munchies as a part of that more eating. So I believe that I am 20 to 30 pounds overweight.

Taken in dividually or together those things may have somthing to do with my irregular heart beat. So what do you think. Any advice is appreciated.

Of course I am changing all 4 of the above: less salt, drink less coffee, starting to take baby aspirin, and working on losing weight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
 
15,860 posts, read 33,254,014 times
Reputation: 20090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Suddenly for the last few days I have had an irregular heart beat. There is no pain or shortness of breath but my heart isn't beating as it usually did. Trying to put together the reasons why all of a sudden that might have happened I came up with these. Maybe you can add something or give me advice.
1-Lately I have been consuming a huge amount of salt. The reason is I got into using spices and am using a lot of garlic salt on my breakfast and evening meals. In addition I east peanuts salted in the shell so am getting some salt there(maybe more than I think). I also eat other peanuts with salt on like shelled peanuts almost everyday. That in addition to all the stuff that has salt added to it and there is a lot of salt in a lot of things. So I am over doing the salt, I know that.
2-I drink two small cups of coffee in the morning and in the early evening I drink a McDonalds small coffee. But lately I have also been eating a chunk of dark chocolate after supper. So taken together that is how much caffeine I am getting(however much is in all that).
3-I quit taking a baby aspirin a day after taking them each day for many years. I don't know if that has an effect on the heart or not.
4-I have been eating more lately and more munchies as a part of that more eating. So I believe that I am 20 to 30 pounds overweight.

Taken in dividually or together those things may have somthing to do with my irregular heart beat. So what do you think. Any advice is appreciated.

Of course I am changing all 4 of the above: less salt, drink less coffee, starting to take baby aspirin, and working on losing weight.
Over the past year I have had a lot of problems with irregular heart beat. I will say I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic, which I did not know I was. Diabetics have a problem maintaining the proper balance of electrolytes, which can be one cause.

If you are ingesting a huge amount of sodium, you are probably upsetting your electrolyte levels. You are also probably deficient in magnesium. Get yourself a good magnesium powder and take it morning and night - I take Natural Calm. The caffeine contributes to this, and coffee, sugar meat and other foods are also very acidic in nature and upset the ph level of the body. I don't believe your weight has anything to do with it, but your diet definitely does. So....

I advise

1. Start taking magnesium (VERY IMPORTANT - magnesium regulates the heart and most people are deficient)
2. Cut down on the salt
3. Cut down on coffee (drink more tea instead, especially herbal)
4. If you haven't tested your blood sugar, you may want to look into it just to make sure you aren't becoming diabetic.

I still have an occasional "blip" as I call it but overall it is MUCH better than it was. I had episodes so bad I almost went to the emergency room. Very bad episodes can be either blood sugar that is way too high or way too low. Sometimes even digestive problems (like with acid reflux) can cause it.

I hope some of this helps you. Don't worry, a lot of people have the same problem, but the cause can be different for many.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,815,238 times
Reputation: 11756
If you go to the doctor, he/she will probably have you wear a Holter device for 24 hours. It will log your heartbeats and the doctor will tell you the situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
10,095 posts, read 18,357,448 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
If you go to the doctor, he/she will probably have you wear a Holter device for 24 hours. It will log your heartbeats and the doctor will tell you the situation.
I did that only to find nothing wrong and then tool olive leaf extract and it quit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there...
3,663 posts, read 7,912,373 times
Reputation: 3715
The salt and caffeine can cause an irregular heartbeat (palpitations) lay off of those and increase your water, see if this helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,069,578 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Over the past year I have had a lot of problems with irregular heart beat. I will say I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic, which I did not know I was. Diabetics have a problem maintaining the proper balance of electrolytes, which can be one cause.

If you are ingesting a huge amount of sodium, you are probably upsetting your electrolyte levels. You are also probably deficient in magnesium. Get yourself a good magnesium powder and take it morning and night - I take Natural Calm. The caffeine contributes to this, and coffee, sugar meat and other foods are also very acidic in nature and upset the ph level of the body. I don't believe your weight has anything to do with it, but your diet definitely does. So....

I advise

1. Start taking magnesium (VERY IMPORTANT - magnesium regulates the heart and most people are deficient)
2. Cut down on the salt
3. Cut down on coffee (drink more tea instead, especially herbal)
4. If you haven't tested your blood sugar, you may want to look into it just to make sure you aren't becoming diabetic.

I still have an occasional "blip" as I call it but overall it is MUCH better than it was. I had episodes so bad I almost went to the emergency room. Very bad episodes can be either blood sugar that is way too high or way too low. Sometimes even digestive problems (like with acid reflux) can cause it.

I hope some of this helps you. Don't worry, a lot of people have the same problem, but the cause can be different for many.
Thanks for your advice gypsychic. I got some magnesium powder and mine is called Stress-X by trace minerals. I took a good hot sauna today to get some of that salt out and am cutting down on the coffee. I can feel the difference already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM
 
15,860 posts, read 33,254,014 times
Reputation: 20090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Thanks for your advice gypsychic. I got some magnesium powder and mine is called Stress-X by trace minerals. I took a good hot sauna today to get some of that salt out and am cutting down on the coffee. I can feel the difference already.
I am glad to hear you are feeling better already. One other thing I forgot to mention, is that it is important to drink plenty of fresh pure water. Being poorly hydrated can cause one to feel unwell and cause problems in the body. I know I feel so much better when I make a conscious effort to really drink PLENTY of water, even when I don't feel that thirsty.

Good luck to you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM
 
1,610 posts, read 4,225,139 times
Reputation: 714
You don't say how old you are and how you know your heart beat is irregular.you should get an electrocardiogram.I am 73 and a year ago a doctor found I had an A-Fib, a year later now my heart Doctor told me its gone.They were going to put me on wayfarin medication to prevent stroke, now I am glad I didn't go on that.I Take a daily baby aspirin as a blood thinner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
 
198 posts, read 417,562 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Thanks for your advice gypsychic. I got some magnesium powder and mine is called Stress-X by trace minerals. I took a good hot sauna today to get some of that salt out and am cutting down on the coffee. I can feel the difference already.
If you're having heart issues, one of the last things you should do is go into a sauna or hot tub. There are often signs to that effect posted on them.

It's probably nothing, just palpitations. You normally shouldn't feel your own heart beat, but sometimes people can be prone to feeling it unexpectedly. An EKG is a cheap test your doc can have you do to clear up any thoughts it being something more serious.

I've gotten palpitations on and off since I was five. Led to a cardiologist appointment which found a common structural deformity. It's just a part of my life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 AM
 
8,283 posts, read 12,327,923 times
Reputation: 4960
I started getting PVCs (premataure ventricular Contractions) in 1998 and eventually wound up in the ER since they were constant to the point I couldn't function. I had to stop drinking alcohol since it was dehydrating me (I only drank beer). My doc told me they were benign though.
Cut out the salt, coffee, sodas, and alcohol completely. Anything that stimulates you incliding smoking too. I remember taking an Excedrin for a headache once & my heart starting racing like crazy. It had caffeine in it! I have never drank coffee either.
I was also found to have a low potassium level as well so I will drink either OJ,eat bananas, baked or boiled potaoes. In addition I drink a low sodium V-8 juice that has A high potassium level too along with a daily milti-vitamin. It's been years since I had a really bad attack but you should get it checked out though and have them check your potassium level too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top