Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times

Advertisements

Someone told me once that if a person drinks too much liquids as they are eating it gets in the way of digestive juices and a person doesn't digest their food properly. A person is supposedly suppose to drink only enough liquid to help get the food down into the stomach. I drink a lot of milk with my food and always have which doesn't mean it is doing things right. Any info on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
My mom always told me that and we never drank liquids with meals, only after. I've heard it's more basic liquids like water that dilute the stomach acid, whereas if you add some acid to eat, like a squeeze of lemon juice, it'll actually aid digestion. That's probably why wine is so popular with food
I don't know if there's any truth to that, but I do know personally if I drink cold water with food at restaurants, I end up feeling full, heavy and bloated much faster, and will feel sick after rich foods etc. And wine does seem to help digest richer meals! Works for me

Old 06-19-2014, 01:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
you don't really need stomach acid for digestion. Many people with Gastroparesis have to take PPIs to prevent gerd and do alright that way. Proper chewing is more important. If you turn the food into a liquid in your mouth that's one less step the stomach has to do.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Well I am betting it is an old wives tale. We heard many of them when we were younger: some based on sturdies and some just past down from grandma to mommy to us. I have no idea if this is true, but I am certainly not going to change my drinking habits. I have to admit, I don't drink a lot of liquids when eating but not because of that. We do drink a lot of water before dinner and after. Growing up many of us drank milk every night for dinner cause we were told to drink a quart a day. My parents always drank coffee.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 AM

107 posts, read 558,853 times
If you are healthy, you will digest all usual food properly no matter what liquid/food combinations you take. It's more about digestion delay than digestion itself.

Milk contains fats and proteins, which both slow down stomach emptying and thus delay the digestion of other foods, which mainly occurs in the small intestine. So, when you drink milk with food, the food stays longer in your stomach, which may give you an uncomfortable feeling of stomach fullness, even if you are not aware of it.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I know I don't want my digestive juices diluted or neutralized when eating.
A sip here and there is fine.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Water isn't an antacid; drinking it before, during, or after eating won't neutralize or dilute gastric acid produced by your stomach. You can check out the actual science behind digestion and digestive juices with a google search, or if you have a public library nearby, you can borrow textbooks on gastroenterology.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
The reason for not drinking a lot when eating is to NOT fill up on liquids.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
The reason for not drinking a lot when eating is to NOT fill up on liquids.
The same could be said for eating too much bread before the entree comes out - so you are NOT filling up on bread.

There's no reason why any normal healthy person should avoid liquids during their meal. There is also no reason why any normal healthy person should force themselves to consume liquids during their meal. It just - doesn't matter one way or another.

What matters more, is what you're drinking, and what you're eating.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Almost certainly not true. I find if I drink a large amount of water it passes through my stomach and gets into the bloodstream very rapidly, I'll be on the toilet within half an hour. The stomach takes hours to digest a meal.

Recently I was having trouble figuring out why my guts were not digesting something properly. I was at my wits end with stupid cramps, hot farts (sorry), and loose stool. I was almost to the point of getting enzymes from the chemist 'cause I was sick of it. I knew my diet wasn't exactly excellent (but I am underweight and trying to gain) with a lot of meat, dairy, etc.... Tried god knows what combo of things to eliminate this nonsense.

After much irritating experimentation: I hit gold. I stopped drinking fruit juice. It was upsetting my guts. I also reduced UNsaturated fats by 50%. I cannot digest them properly for some reason. Saturated fats, no problem. Don't ask why, no idea why. I looked these things up on the internet, and think I may have fructose intolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness