Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this topic has a thread, if so, please point me to it.

I am having a terrible time switching from brand name to generic. I was taking a brand of metforim ER(sp) and had to switch to generic. Okay. But, some refills I have awful itching and some I don't. I need the metforim. I had 2 other prescriptions refilled at the same time, all generics, and I had to take some Benedryl last night, I was tingling and itching so badly. One if my BP meds. I am assuming it must be the fillers but, what to do. It is very hard to get brand names through your insurance, Medicare Part D.

Recently, I had occasion to have to take an antibiotic, amoxycillin (sp), and I had the same reaction. I have taken this drug many times. I also had a reaction to Cipro and Ceftin so, I am running out of things to take when needed.

In the past, I have had varying reactions to the reliabilty of a generic drug I was taking after having been on the brand name. On one occasion, it was didn't seem as strong and that was actually good.

I read in one place that someone was allergic to titanium dioxide and that was in a lot of generics. But, in other places, people wrote that anything, sand, could even be used a filler. I find that one hard to believe but, I guess if anything is possible. Talc is a big one from what I am reading and since I talc Aleve and baby aspring (not together) I guess I am getting it there, plus, a couple of vitamin supplements I take.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Anyone else have the same problem or any solutions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
My husband was on the generic of synthroid (Levothyroxen) when he was first diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. after 3 months there was no cnhage so the doctor switched him to the synthroid and he has been doing better. Other than that neither of us have had reactions to generic or brand name drugs.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
lubby, I have read quite a bit about the synthroid problem. There are whole forums about it...lol. For me, there seems to be no rhyme or reason so I am not sure what is going on. It would appear as though I am sensitive to something in the medicines, which I am thinking is the fillers. I had my BP med refilled, generic, which I have taken before. My metforim, generic, which I did have a problem with one time, was just filled. Also, a presc. for generic Celexa, which might as well be taking water but I am so leary of taking meds that I won't agree to take anything else that is stronger....my own worst enemy.

My mother, who lived to be 91, would never take a generic and, she lived on a fixed income. But, she would pay the extra money because she felt they were not effective (generics). She was a health caregiver.

I just wondered if anyone had any insights of their own experiences with this and how they surmounted the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness