Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

I was hospitalized in mid-October and received several shots in my abdomen. It wasn't until I was home and caught a glimpse of said abdomen in the mirror while dressing. I almost fell to the floor. My belly was a spectacular rainbow of blues and purples, covering the entire left side, and given my current weight, that's some pretty expansive territory!

LSS, it was about two months before the discoloration resolved and the "lump" persists, though not as bad as originally. It's taking time but I'm sure it will eventually disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Your doctor said it would take around 6 weeks and it has only been 2, give it some more time. Are you using the heating pad?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,637 times
Yes, I am using the heating pad still. But I'm not taking any more pain med because it'll give me an upset stomach. I know I am jumping the gun with worry only 2 weeks into the healing process. But it's not a small bump and I have enough on my plate that I really don't want it to become something worse. I am glad some posters have shared their experience as that's helped calm me down a little bit.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
Several weeks to resolve? As in, the bump completely disappeared? Did you do anything to help speed along the healing process? I can't believe it happened the night before your wedding. (I assume DH refers to "dear husband")

You mean no surgeon will do anything to the hematoma because it's not convenient for them? Your post confuses me.
NO, for YOUR convenience.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Oh hello! Months? I have to wait months for this to heal? What if the blood calcifies in my butt cheek?

Me <=== Worry Wort

The bruises on the surface have all gone away finally. My butt's a normal color again. But the lump is there and it looks like I have a baseball underneath my left butt cheek. So gross.
What happens if the blood calcifies?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
What happens if the blood calcifies?
Calcium salt deposits from bone cells (the closest ones nearby this thing would be from my pelvis or spine) build up around the large blood clot (i.e. hematoma) and turn it into rock hard bone; a condition called "traumatic myositis ossificans."

If this hematoma in my butt doesn't get re-asorbed I will wind up with a big bony mass in my left butt cheek that will cause me major problems and have to be removed.

According to this article, and this article I should have been icing the bruise this whole time to promote its re-absorption, not using a heating pad as my doctor suggested.

I'm past the worry wort stage and into the highly-irritated-stage-that-my-doctor-is-clueless-and-didn't-tell-me-about-myostis-ossificans-possibly-happening-to-me.

The bruise in my butt cheek is really large and really deep. I can't wear tight pants and have to wear a pants size larger than what I normally do. You can see the bump when I walk. My niece made fun of me the other day which was really embarrassing. We're not talking about a tiny bruise here, okay?!?! It's about 4 inches across and about 2 1/2 inches thick.

Last edited by Midwest Maven; 02-12-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
arnica for bruises
see http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...-and-swelling/

always keep 1 or 2 frozen icepacks in your freezer for when you get bruises

Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
A hematoma is not a bruise.

Since you are obviously concerned, I would see the doctor who you saw originally and get his opinion. Or, if you feel you were misadvised, see another doctor for advice about care, timelines, and when to see the surgeon.

Don't try to figure out what to do by reading the internet, and don't let shyness about the location of your problem (you would rather not discuss your butt with your employer) keep you from seeking treatment.

Good luck

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Calcium salt deposits from bone cells (the closest ones nearby this thing would be from my pelvis or spine) build up around the large blood clot (i.e. hematoma) and turn it into rock hard bone; a condition called "traumatic myositis ossificans."

If this hematoma in my butt doesn't get re-asorbed I will wind up with a big bony mass in my left butt cheek that will cause me major problems and have to be removed.

According to this article, and this article I should have been icing the bruise this whole time to promote its re-absorption, not using a heating pad as my doctor suggested.

I'm past the worry wort stage and into the highly-irritated-stage-that-my-doctor-is-clueless-and-didn't-tell-me-about-myostis-ossificans-possibly-happening-to-me.

The bruise in my butt cheek is really large and really deep. I can't wear tight pants and have to wear a pants size larger than what I normally do. You can see the bump when I walk. My niece made fun of me the other day which was really embarrassing. We're not talking about a tiny bruise here, okay?!?! It's about 4 inches across and about 2 1/2 inches thick.
You are going to drive yourself crazy looking at sites like the ones you have posted.

The chances of your hematoma turning into myositis ossificans is exceedingly rare...

Your doctor didn't tell you about the possibility of MO happening because it so rare, most commonly happens in young athletic males and in truth, despite what the sites you posted state, difficult if not impossible to prevent once the trauma has occurred.

I have seen only a handful of cases over 20 years of practice, all were young males, all happened after a blow to the thigh, all resulted in a mass near the femur. None of them required treatment.

As for the ice-heat controversy, most folks recommend ice for the first 48-72 hours, after that heat is often used either alone or alternating with ice.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Oh. I had no idea it just occurred in young men. I thought it was anyone with a deep hematoma who is susceptible. And I agree; I will drive myself crazy looking up things on the internet. But I also think doctors should be more informative with patients about these things.

Well I've started the icing again so I'll just keep doing that and hope this thing gets absorbed and goes away without any problems. It's huge and since this has never happened to me before, I'm a little scared. That's all.

I've already made a follow up appointment with my doctor about it. And no I'm not going to share this info with people at work but its' not as though people can't notice something if they look at my side profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness