Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM

607 posts, read 855,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Since when is t.v. supposed to be the monitor of good health choices? It's entertainment. I'm sure there is plenty out there in t.v. land to offend all kinds of people.
Lets start showing people shooting up heroin on TV! after all, its entertainment!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
Lets start showing people shooting up heroin on TV! after all, its entertainment!
They do.

Just because you seem to want all shows to be squeaky clean does not mean everyone does.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
They do.

Just because you seem to want all shows to be squeaky clean does not mean everyone does.
I just don't want to turn on the tv and see obese people.

How am I supposed to explain to a kid that its not okay for him to be that size?

Whats better, pretended fat people are okay, and healthy?

Or telling society that we should strive to be healthy and fit?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Wow.

How about you just teach your child that t.v. is entertainment and then in real life you model the kind of lifestyle you find healthy. Do you put a bag over their head whenever you take them outside?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
It is all self induced? You mean back then people didn't have thyroid problems, PCOS or had to take medication causing metabolic syndrome?

Still, since TV is for entertainment and not government propaganda I don't see why we shouldn't see obese people on TV.

Only a fat person would say showing healthy people on tv is "propaganda."

Sounds like an excuse for you not to get on the treadmill.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Wow.

How about you just teach your child that t.v. is entertainment and then in real life you model the kind of lifestyle you find healthy. Do you put a bag over their head whenever you take them outside?
Whats better, pretended fat people are okay, and healthy?

Or telling society that we should strive to be healthy and fit?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM

I actually don't sit around worrying about everyone else. I also don't think it's the job of the entertainment world to be telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

There is also the opposite problem. Media showing women who are sticks as the model of what women should be and then young girls having eating disorders in order to live up to that.

I think most people know it's better to be healthy and fit. I think most over weight people know it's not a healthy way to live.

Do you have an issue with the The Biggest Loser?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I actually don't sit around worrying about everyone else. I also don't think it's the job of the entertainment world to be telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

There is also the opposite problem. Media showing women who are sticks as the model of what women should be and then young girls having eating disorders in order to live up to that.

I think most people know it's better to be healthy and fit. I think most over weight people know it's not a healthy way to live.

Do you have an issue with the The Biggest Loser?
I've only seen that show once or twice, but I think it takes a lot of courage to go on that show and show america your physical flaws. they all seem to try very hard, too, so I don't have a problem with it.

but there are shows which glorify fatness, or make it seem like its "normal."

Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
This thread is insulting to many people. Like racist comments it is closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness