Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM

152 posts, read 250,400 times

Advertisements

hey folks, well i thought i'd ask this question, to see if anyone may've had a similar problem and could offer any insight:
Since october, one of my nostrils has been stopped up, i mean i can breathe through it a little, but you get the picture.

since late october i've been using the nasal spray to open it up, but you're really only supposed to use it a week or so, not 5 months, so a couple weeks ago i stopped using it, and am just dealing with it.
pseudoephedrine, which is a great nasal decongestant normally, does nothing to help this, nor does benadryl (diphenhydramine) only the nasal spray works.

last week the doctor gave me a steroid nasal spray called flonase, which ive been using , and claritin (loratadine)
the flonase, i noticed, after using it, snot seems to appear from nowhere in my nose, and drains down my throat, making me hack it up for a half hour or so, before things calm back down..

the claritin, its an antihistamine which dries you up if your nose is running i understand, but my problem is the opposite, im dried/clogged up- i took it once, but didn't notice it did anything, unless you have to keep taking it, i dunno.

anyway this nose of mine, sometimes releases fluid or snot or whatever to run down my throat in its own good time, so i find myself whenever, having snot/phlegm or whatever that i need to hack up, and sometimes it feels as though its stuck in my throat, leading me to be nervous... its not very pleasant and i feel quite anxious these days..
i dont think its a sinus infection, as its just snot, nothing dark green indicative of infection. my aunt said its an allergy reaction to the carpet or something in my apartment, and the doctor said this problem is common. ive never had it before though, no allergy problems at all..

the only thing is, im living in northern california now, and am originally from the gulf coast, so i guess the air is different here. i had bronchitis for about a week last september, which i'd also never had before

the doctor has me scheduled for a food and respiratory allergy test in a couple weeks, ive never had either.

in any case, this condition of mine, is rather unpleasant and is not boding well for my already over-active mind.. so i thought i would ask here, if anyone had experienced a similar condition?

thanks for thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,578 times
Try spitting on a finger and shove the finger up there dislodging the spit. And No, this is not a joke! You may have to repeat this exercise for a period of time but give it a go.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Try spitting on a finger and shove the finger up there dislodging the spit. And No, this is not a joke! You may have to repeat this exercise for a period of time but give it a go.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Get a saline nasal spray instead of the Afrin. It'll add moisture to your nasal cavity and you can use it as often as needed. I've been taking a decongestant (PSE) for years for a stuffy nose and it almost always helps me but everyone is different.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
There is a jell that is sold over the counter starts with A sorry cant recall the full name also you could try a peaty pot (spell ?)I have the same prob and will be checking for other responses.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Get a Neti pot at the pharmacy and use it as often as needed. Be sure to use sterile water or saline.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
If you were using nasal spray for 5 months you most likely have rebound nasal congestion. Switching to plain saline spray and using steam / a humidifier will be helpful, but unfortunately there is no instant fix. The worst thing you can do is continue to use any sort of nasal spray other than saline. Basically, your nostril is a spray addict, and you have to put it through a withdrawl protocol to break the dependency. You can do that by cold turkey quitting the spray (especially because you retain use of your other nostril, when it's both clogged that's another story), or you can do the withdrawl on a schedule, gradually weaning off of it. Believe me I know it can be a terrifying feeling when any part of your "get air to lungs" system is blocked. Do the withdrawal and keep telling yourself you can still breathe through the other nostril (at least you don't have to mouth breathe!) and then once your clogged nostril remembers how to function without spray, you'll quickly forget how awful it felt to have these issues with it. If you continue to use spray, rebound nasal congestion can eventually require surgery to correct.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM

k9coach, thanks for the thoughts - i was off the spray for 2 weeks before the doctor gave me the flonase - does rebound rhinitis last 2 weeks? i think flonase doesnt cause rebound rhinitis, so it should be ok to use

37 years perfect health, then bang
i guess it could be the change in climate from the gulf coast to northern california, or, it could be that im gettin up in years

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour_trail View Post
What part of that didn't you understand

OK, try this, cut an onion in half and give the fumes of that a good snort.

Or this, eat a chilli pepper, or two or three.

Or this, load up your next hot meal with plenty of spices.

Try anything but most importantly ~ stay away from nasal sprays.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
What part of that didn't you understand

OK, try this, cut an onion in half and give the fumes of that a good snort.

Or this, eat a chilli pepper, or two or three.

Or this, load up your next hot meal with plenty of spices.

Try anything but most importantly ~ stay away from nasal sprays.
shall i, take a hair-dryer, and funnel the end of it into a straw, and shove that up my nose, and turn the dryer on full force? perhaps with a bit of luck i will incinerate my sinuses

i think i'll stick to whiskey, and wait until the allergy tests come in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness