Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, now I'm envisioning the doctor taking a pic of the patients "pain face" and putting it in file as back-up.
Ummm, no.... there is actually a published chart of pain faces for patients to either point to or say the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
The 1 to 10 pain scale doesn't have much use in a single incidence, IMO. But when my sister was in the hospital for surgery last year, one of her nurses explained that they were looking for how the patient rated the pain relative to the previous times they were asked. So, if the pain is an 8, they give you medication for the pain, but fifteen minutes after the injection, the pain has only dropped to a 7, they know that you need a higher dose or a different medication.

Over time, it can give a very clear picture of pain patterns. Everyone has a different pain threshold, and everyone will thus rate their pain according to their own perceptions. Chronic pain sufferers tend to tolerate a certain constant level of pain, and probably consequently have a higher pain threshold. All IMO, of course.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
mine is about a 4.
on the lighter side an old married couple in bed
she says dont touch me
he says what?
she says im dead
honey you are not dead
her
i must be dead i dont feel any pain.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Okay, I can't stop thinking about the Brian Regan stand up bit regarding rating your pain and the emergency room.... has anyone seen this? One of his funniest bits ever.....

emergency room part 2 - YouTube

Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
The worst was when I had really bad back pain so I went to a pain management clinic for a back injection. The guy was in such a hurry cause he was running behind and he must have hit a nerve or the spinal cord. I screamed out in pain, threw up and then almost passed out. My BP dropped to 90 and I wanted to kill the guy. That was a 15 on the charts.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
0 would be no pain at all 5 would be moderate pain and 10 would be severe pain at least for me.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Level 10 is agony

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On what basis do you answer when asked to indicate your pain level from one to ten? What would you classify as Level One?

I always get completely baffled when asked that. In almost all cases, I say "Zero -- it is only discomfort."

For example, if you have something stuck between your teeth after dinner and want floss, is that Pain Level One? What about a scratchy label in your collar? A booger in your nose? Where is the line between pain and discomfort?

At what level, from one to ten, would you take a pain-killer?

Personally, I have maybe four levels. I've had kidney stones, so I am told that I know what the top level is like. I'll call that Three.
Anything below that for which I'd take pain medication, I'd call Two.
If it actually qualifies as pain but I wouldn't bother to take an ibuprofin, like if I stub my toe or have acid reflux, or burn myself in the kitchen, that's One.
It it's just discomfort, that's a Zero. Four levels is about all I can differentiate.
It is so they can compare if your own personal pain level is being managed. They will ask you over and over as they assess you.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it's relative.....

It is VERY relative. That is why they do not define what each "number" actually means on this scale. What one person may consider an "8", another may consider a "4". It is a way of trying to figure out, for a given individual, how bad they the level of pain is that they are experiencing to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't like that "scale" either
Given that different people have different levels of tolerance for pain, what would you suggest instead? Something like, "it really freakin' hurts" is not going to be very helpful in either establishing a baseline or in assessment of efficacy of potential treatments.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
It is VERY relative. That is why they do not define what each "number" actually means on this scale. What one person may consider an "8", another may consider a "4". It is a way of trying to figure out, for a given individual, how bad they the level of pain is that they are experiencing to them.
Right. Because pain isn't just relative between person to person, but even relative in terms of type, intensity, and how it is affected by other aspects of the individual's condition.

For example, I've never had surgery of any kind and I've never broken a bone. I don't know what that pain feels like, but if I were to experience it I might well rate it a ten. But that's not relevant because the pain scale isn't about finding a rating for every possible pain that exists. It's about rating MY pain as it stands at THIS moment compared to a baseline of no pain at all and a top level of worst pain I can imagine. There are lots of pains I can't imagine (like childhood), but there's no 'wrong' answer here.

Last year I went to the ER for stomach pain. It was a really strange kind of pain...it hurt, but it wasn't agonizing. However, it was a panicky kind of pain unlike anything I'd ever felt. It felt like something was badly wrong and my body knew it and was firing off massive alarm signals. When they asked my pain level, I said ten even though I wasn't a sobbing ball of agony. It was the worst KIND of pain I had felt to date (And indeed something WAS very wrong...I was going into shock from a severe case of ischemic colitis. Basically my guts lost all blood supply.) I ended up in the hospital for 3 days on a morphine drip. In the hospital I got a migraine which I rated a seven even though it was in some ways worse than the stomach pain. It was pounding and certainly less ambiguous, but there wasn't any panicked sense of impending death.

I had a shoulder injury that I see a pain doctor for. The pain scale helps them see how well the treatment is working. Right now that's very well indeed! But let's say my shoulder pain is at a 3 for a few days. Then I get the flu. My tolerance for that shoulder pain is likely to go way down. The pain itself might not have changed much, but if you're miserable in other areas everything gets more intense.

Pain is personal. It can't be compared between two people, but then doing so wouldn't be helpful anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness