U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM

829 posts, read 2,797,189 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how common this is...I am a competetive strongman, highland games athlete, weight lifter...and im also a very large guy, at around 400lbs(not saying that in a bragging way at all,because i know the hazards of carrying lots of weight) What i have found that happens to me frequently is that out of the blue an ankle or a knee or sometimes my back will start to be sore, it will get worse within a couple days, and then will be almost unbearable. For example i felt my toe/foot hurting the other day during training, it got worse the next day, then worse the next day where i had to walk on the outside of my ankles...now i can barely walk on it. I figure my weight does not help these things, and also i walk on the outside of my feet and im sure dont wear the proper shoes. I can usually pin point this back to training, but it is strange to me how it does now happen immediately. You would think something all of a sudden would cause a sprain, like landing on your ankle wrong, but with me it doesnt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM

8,167 posts, read 7,361,963 times
I'm thinking at 400 pounds you may actually be creating small fractures? Dunno. Certainly strains and sprains (ligaments and muscles). I would suggest you be careful to warm up and cool down, and take some supplements related to glucosatrin to build up your joints over time. There is a joint supplement design with Scottie Pippin that I have found helpful.
Shoes can be a real contributor. See a podiatrist and get some supports, it is wonderful.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,097,697 times
Even people in good shape at low weights can have stress fractures in their feet. It's so common in the military that it's call a march fracture as it happens during long training marches. Think about a broken filling in a tooth - you can bite into a marshmallow and have it, or drink water. It's just "time" for something to break and any little thing can do it.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM

829 posts, read 2,797,189 times
so it can be common to hurt yourself and not know the exact moment you did it...or how.?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 AM

22,727 posts, read 23,615,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
so it can be common to hurt yourself and not know the exact moment you did it...or how.?
In short....yes.
Often times, the initial pain isn't severe enough to take much notice so is forgotten later or ignored to the point of continuing to aggrevate it.
BTDT and still haven't learned the lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness