Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,588 times

Advertisements

No one is helping me doctor wise. Says it's stress but i am ruining my family and my little dog won't come near me because i get upset over everything and fight with my husband and the dog gets all nervous and runs away. Now she is sick alot and i think it's my fault. I quit smoking 20 mos ago so it can't be that, I started levoxyl for thyroid 6 mos ago and my doc says it cant be that. I went thru changes 13 years ago so i don't think it's that. My husband is as sick as the dog over me and i keep blaming him. Because of the little dog i am trying to be quiet and calm. Why does everything upset me so much.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Have you been to see a neurologist? I used to get dizzy & off balance for no apparent reason, even when sitting down. It turned out to be a symptom of vascular migraine. They gave me a pill & it stopped.

Has your blood pressure been checked lately? Do you sleep well?

You really have not given us very much info, but a trip to the Dr., and an honest discussion of what is going on will only help you.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Went to the md and she said it's stress. Won't say thyroid meds or hormones could cause me to be so hard to get along with. I used to blow off my husband when he was sounding off and now i'm arguing with him every chance i get over it. I am a little antsy. md wants me to use xanax but i am not a pill person. I take low dose hormone, thyroid stuff, and xanax at 2 a.m. to sleep better. Went thru changes 13 years ago so it's not that even tho that's what my husband tells people. He thinks every time a woman sneezes she is going thru it. BP is always ok.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Do you mean falling in the "go to ground" sense or falling in the "down a deep hole" sense? If you mean the first - you may need a good ENT or neurology evaluation or both. If you mean the second, you may benefit from the neurologist as well, but it's time for a thyroid check (TSH drawn first thing in the morning, doesn't need to be fasting) if you haven't had one since starting the levoxyl. Are you in good physicial health for your age - height/weight proportionate, blood sugar in range, physically active? Have you had a complete physical exam with screening bloodwork, EKG? If you can't get any help from your physician other than a Rx for Xanax, it may be time to switch. Your provider should be listening to you and you should be listening to your provider. If, on the other hand, you've had a complete exam and everything is within normal limits, and you've both tried everything and still no relief, then perhaps you may benefit from the meds and/or a therapist. No one wants to be a "pill person", but there is no shame in short-term therapy. Believe me, I understand your pain....

Old 10-25-2007, 04:53 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
No one is helping me doctor wise. Says it's stress but i am ruining my family and my little dog won't come near me because i get upset over everything and fight with my husband and the dog gets all nervous and runs away. Now she is sick alot and i think it's my fault. I quit smoking 20 mos ago so it can't be that, I started levoxyl for thyroid 6 mos ago and my doc says it cant be that. I went thru changes 13 years ago so i don't think it's that. My husband is as sick as the dog over me and i keep blaming him. Because of the little dog i am trying to be quiet and calm. Why does everything upset me so much.
Mimosa,

Irritability is a symptom of depression. Some things that may help:

- Exercise. Start walking or running.

- Diet. Sugars and refined carbs contribute to depression. Start cutting them out of your diet.

- Don't give negative thoughts brain time. If something irritates you, stop thinking about it. Sounds simple but true. We tend to overly focus on the negative and that makes them grow bigger and bigger and bigger.

- See a therapist, someone you can talk to. Often behind irritability is a lot of sadness. Find someone you can talk to about it.

Greenie

Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 PM

you guys sound so "in the know". thanks. I have to admit alot of my problem stems from a husband with a terrible attitude at times. Usually i blow if off, but lately it's really getting me going. My doctor knows I have some problems with him so I guess figures I am anxious or stressed, which could definitely be what I am. I admit i dwell on things and that in itself can make you crazy over things. was always like that, can't help it.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Mimosa,

Just curious as to why you turned down your physicians' advice on Xanax? You mention so many symptoms that Xanax might just alleviate............ Not being a "pill person" doesn't cut it for an answer when you clearly are a pill person since you take medication for your thyroid. Wishing you, your husband, and your dog good health and peace.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
mimosa, try some yoga and meditation ( I know about cranky hubbies)> From what I read from your post it sounds like you think it might be your thyroid medication, evan though your Doctor is saying its not. Can you go and see a different doctor about this all i know is that if your throid is not up to par then nothing else is. Whatever you do take care of yourself and really try the yoga and meditation it will help. Blessings

Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
you guys sound so "in the know". thanks. I have to admit alot of my problem stems from a husband with a terrible attitude at times. Usually i blow if off, but lately it's really getting me going. My doctor knows I have some problems with him so I guess figures I am anxious or stressed, which could definitely be what I am. I admit i dwell on things and that in itself can make you crazy over things. was always like that, can't help it.
Mimosa,

Don't dwell on negative things. It is self-defeating. Life is full of suffering. We don't get to have it all. When your husband does something irritating to not put a magnifying glass over his behavior and fry yourself with it. Do not dwell on bad things. If a negative thought enters your brains, tell yourself, "Yes, I know this is so, but I am not going to concentrate on it." And then replace that thought with another thought that is good, for example the nice vacation you have coming up, or whatever it is...

Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
See a neurologist. If you have an HMO, tell you doctor that you want a referral to see a neurologist. If you have a PPO, make an appointment yourself. Don't mess around with this. Rule out serious things first by getting an MRI or CAT scan. Please do this for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness