U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,339,078 times

Advertisements

It's disappointing that not a lot of people seem to have felt a big difference after supplementing. I'm so tired of feeling tired!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 AM

5,313 posts, read 5,377,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
It's disappointing that not a lot of people seem to have felt a big difference after supplementing. I'm so tired of feeling tired!
My field is in laboratory medicine, and I've run thousands of Vit D tests. I can tell you that the majority of people run low. An OTC supplement is probably all you need. A few minutes of daily sunshine helps as well.

You do want to be careful when taking Vit D supplements. Most vitamins are water-soluble, and excesses are simply excreted in the urine. But Vit D (along with A, E, and K) can build up to toxic levels in the body (this is rare, but something you should be aware of when determining daily dose of supplementation).

Feeling tired is not generally a symptom of Vit D deficiency. Low Vit D is associated with osteoporosis (as Vit D is needed for the absorption of calcium), and also with cardiovascular disease. I do believe you'll have to keep looking to find the reason for your fatigue. You mentioned that you see a pain doctor. About 75% of people with chronic pain issues also struggle with fatigue.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,522,012 times
Quote:
My field is in laboratory medicine, and I've run thousands of Vit D tests

So what info do you have to share when people are low with Vitamin D~?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,042,506 times
Vitamin D deficiency is pretty common amoung those who live where there are severe winters or very cold winters where they are prone to stay inside most of the time. I take a vitamin D supplement every day and I have no problem...although a couple of years ago I also was tired and listless and went to the doctor and found that I had extremely low vitamin D....so simple to take that teeny little supplement once a day.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My field is in laboratory medicine, and I've run thousands of Vit D tests. I can tell you that the majority of people run low. An OTC supplement is probably all you need. A few minutes of daily sunshine helps as well.

You do want to be careful when taking Vit D supplements. Most vitamins are water-soluble, and excesses are simply excreted in the urine. But Vit D (along with A, E, and K) can build up to toxic levels in the body (this is rare, but something you should be aware of when determining daily dose of supplementation).

Feeling tired is not generally a symptom of Vit D deficiency. Low Vit D is associated with osteoporosis (as Vit D is needed for the absorption of calcium), and also with cardiovascular disease. I do believe you'll have to keep looking to find the reason for your fatigue. You mentioned that you see a pain doctor. About 75% of people with chronic pain issues also struggle with fatigue.

I'm afraid my doctor seemed pretty settled on Vit D as the cause even before she took the test, so I worry she won't look for other possible causes. I'm basically worried she has her 'answer' and that's that. I had asked her about the B vitamins and she dismissed it.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,042,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm afraid my doctor seemed pretty settled on Vit D as the cause even before she took the test, so I worry she won't look for other possible causes. I'm basically worried she has her 'answer' and that's that. I had asked her about the B vitamins and she dismissed it.
Find a new doctor. Seriously.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Find a new doctor. Seriously.
I'm going to have to...which is a shame since she at least seemed interested in helping me, but even before posting here I was leery of the way she seemed to jump straight to this diagnosis. Especially since this is something I've dealt with for so long. I just can't imagine I had low Vit D as a kid when I spent almost every day outside running around.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM

284 posts, read 646,216 times
Interesting that the lab tech mentioned so many Vitamin D tests coming back low. I live in the Phoenix area and mine came back low, as every single friend I've talked to who has been tested. Makes me wonder if the test is accurate. Two things - I understand that D3 is better than D2. I switched multi vitamins to one that has D3. And what thyroid test did they do? You may need T4 and TSH - I've had thyroid issues for years.
I am not in the medical field and am not giving professional advice.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM

5,313 posts, read 5,377,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My field is in laboratory medicine, and I've run thousands of Vit D tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post

So what info do you have to share when people are low with Vitamin D~?
I'd better clarify. I did mention some basics above about Vit D deficiency, but I'm not a doctor and I don't want to misrepresent my area of knowledge. Certainly I studied diseases & symptoms, anatomy & physiology in my program, but in our daily work we run the lab tests that the doctors order, so the dr can use the test results to treat the patient appropriately.

So, with that disclaimer out of the way.....

When I posted, I thought it was just OP who thought her fatigue might be related to Vit D. I didn't realize her dr thinks there is a connection there for her. For her to have been fatigued even in childhood, when she spent a lot of time in the sun, made me there is something else going on there. But obviously the dr knows a lot more about the OP's medical history than I do, so I would not want to imply that he is wrong.

With all of that said, I can say with confidence that the number of patients being tested for Vit D levels has skyrocketed in recent years. And because it is relatively recent that so many patients are being tested, I think it is fair to say that some doctors aren't completely sure what to do with the results. Some consider a result of 20ng/mL to be normal, others use 30 as the cut-off for normal. Also, there are different types of Vit D testing (Total 25-hydroxyvitamin D; fractionated 25-hydroxyvitamin D, which breaks down the total into individual levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D2 and 25-hydroxyvitamin D3; and 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D). It is possible for a patient to show a normal result for one type of test and abnormal for another. And it's not unheard of for a doctor to be a little unclear about the various kinds of tests.

Certainly OP needs to bring her Vit D level up to normal range for good health, regardless of whether or not fatigue is being caused by its deficiency. Generally 600 IUs/day is considered the recommended daily requirement, but various medications or health conditions can cause poor absorption of Vit D. Some patients take up to 4000 IU/day, but such a high amount should not be taken without a doctor's orders.

Be aware that if you research symptoms of Vit D deficiency online, you are likely to read things like "67% of obese patients have Vit D deficiency" or "many patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome were reported to have low levels of Vit D," etc. Well, that doesn't mean the Vit D deficiency CAUSED the obesity or the CFS. Vit D deficiency is common, and is widely believed to be related to reduction of time spent in the sun, and the use of sunscreen and protective clothing while in the sun. There is still a lot to be learned about the role of this vitamin in overall health, and balancing the need for SOME sun exposure against the risk of skin cancer from TOO MUCH sun exposure.

Again, I'm no dr, but I feel comfortable stating that taking a 400 IU Vit D supplement daily, and spending 5-10 minutes per day in the sun, is a good idea for most people.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM

24,072 posts, read 23,540,980 times
My husband tested low for vitamin D even though we live next to the beach and he works outside and won't wear sunscreen. He was tan yet low in vitamin D. My guess is that there could be other deficiencies that are affecting the vitamin D levels. He was also low in iron even though he eats tons of red meat. After taking D3 caps and iron pills, his levels are normal. I've had him taking zinc because he is older and I know that older people are usually lacking in zinc. The zinc cured his restless leg syndrome! The zinc also made the iron pills work when they didn't work on their own. That's just my 2 cents worth, if it's any help to anyone. My thinking is that sometimes it's more than just being low in vitamin D, there is something else going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness