U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM

5,508 posts, read 4,844,115 times

Advertisements

ALMOST EVERYONE in places like New England and other low-sun areas is severely deficient in Vit. D.

You can't get sufficient doses over the counter. Your doctor must prescribe, probably around 50,000 units.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM

416 posts, read 588,382 times
I've been having problems with fatigue myself. Been tested for all sorts of things. So far I have low testosterone, sleep apnea, low Vit D, low Vit B12, and low oxygen blood levels. Just taking the testosterone gel didn't help my fatigue, adding a C-pap didn't help, adding the vitamins didn't help, I'm supposed to be getting a sleep test done for oxygen levels soon. Maybe adding oxygen to my C-pap will help.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,922,814 times
JJCat, I know what you mean about never feeling like everyone else, never having the energy to jump up and get out and about in the morning, or anytime really. I've also always been this way, but its way worse now that I'm older. I hate it, and family and friends dont understand, and think I'm just a homebody. I am, but its mainly no get up and go. I have the desire to go places, just no energy. I feel like a freak at times. I'd give anything to WANT to do things. Everything I do, I have to force myself.

And the dread of knowing "tomorrow" I have to go here or there, drives me nuts! I dont like to make appointments, cause I never know if I can force myself to go. I am the cancelling queen. But even with this monkey on my back, I was never ever late for work. Hope you post if you find out the problem. What little bit of testing I had done, they never found anything. Some say its depression, but I sure havent been depressed every min. of my life for gawds sake. If anything, this way of life is causing depression.

I think my older sister who has passed, suffered from this also. She never said, but just looking at the way she lived is enough for me. Is anyone else in your family this way?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,174,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
ALMOST EVERYONE in places like New England and other low-sun areas is severely deficient in Vit. D.

You can't get sufficient doses over the counter. Your doctor must prescribe, probably around 50,000 units.
That isn't true. Vitamin D deficiency is common in New England, but *severe* vitamin D deficiency is not. If it were, we'd see more cases of rickets here in New England. Rickets is uncommon. Therefore, "severely deficient" is "severely wrong."

--She who is severely annoyed with people who claim that things are severely, highly, and deathly, when they're not.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,339,078 times
I had my follow-up with the Dr. to discuss the blood work...and was actually pleasantly surprised. She said my Vit D. level was half of normal, but also that she felt it was much too simple an explanation. She also mentioned she felt Vit D. was in fashion right now, but she had noticed almost all her patients came back either low or just on the edge of normal, and she wasn't sure the test meant much.

She spent a good hour with me discussing my family history. Based on my mother's history of rare auto-immune disorders, she wants me to see a Rheumatologist. She also wants me to see a Cardiologist based on my history of ischemic colitis. I had an incident last year where my bowels spontaneously lost blood supply and I ended up in the hospital for three days. Ischemic colitis occurs almost entirely in people over the age of 60 (I'm 32). No one could explain why I got it, especially since I hadn't been ill or dehydrated in the days leading up to it. I was perfectly fine, then doubled over in agony in the span of ten minutes. My GI doctor kind of dismissed and said he wouldn't worry unless it happened again, but the primary Dr. feels I could have thrown a blood clot and thus should get a work-up.

So I actually walked out of there feeling like she did listen to my concerns and wasn't all about the Vit D. like I thought she would be.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

5,313 posts, read 5,377,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I had my follow-up with the Dr. to discuss the blood work...and was actually pleasantly surprised. She said my Vit D. level was half of normal, but also that she felt it was much too simple an explanation.
Yay! I'm so glad she is willing to dig deeper and get you on the path to finding out what is going on. Does she want you to supplement with Vit D as well as looking into the other issues?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM

90,636 posts, read 86,778,990 times
There's a school of thought now that says most people aren't getting enough Vit D to absorb the calcium they ingest. This is especially important for women over 40. However, very recently, articles have been appearing in the media saying the opposite: that no calcium or Vit D supplementation is needed. So who knows where the truth lies. But obviously, if you've been diagnosed deficient, you should be supplementing. I've been hearing that the old minimum daily requirement that used to be recommended is just a drop in the bucket, and that most people need significantly more.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM

90,636 posts, read 86,778,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
JJCat, I know what you mean about never feeling like everyone else, never having the energy to jump up and get out and about in the morning, or anytime really. I've also always been this way, but its way worse now that I'm older. I hate it, and family and friends dont understand, and think I'm just a homebody. I am, but its mainly no get up and go. I have the desire to go places, just no energy. I feel like a freak at times. I'd give anything to WANT to do things. Everything I do, I have to force myself.
Have you ever had a lot of stress in your life, like chronic stress of some sort, or a big stressful event or two? You might benefit from getting your adrenal hormones checked. The best way to do this is to find a doctor or naturopath to give you a saliva test kit, where you collect your saliva 4 times throughout the day, to monitor your cortisol output in a 24-hour period.

How is your sleep, btw? That could have something to do with it, too. Poor sleep, or undiagnosed sleep apnea, could be draining you, subtly.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM

29,392 posts, read 20,089,080 times
This is the new thing, apparently. I've heard others say the same, and I've been diagnosed with vit D deficiency too. I was diagnosed before moving the PNW, which its long cloudy winter/spring season. I took the vit D and later started on a maintenance dose. Be sure to tell the doc how much D you are getting from such sources as vitamins and calcium supplements.

I can't say that the massive doses of vitamin D helped my energy level at all. Your description of how you feel match mine pretty well. Except I also tend to run a low blood count, even anemia, from time to time. This has been a life long issue, although better than it used to be.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,339,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Yay! I'm so glad she is willing to dig deeper and get you on the path to finding out what is going on. Does she want you to supplement with Vit D as well as looking into the other issues?
She said to go ahead and supplement, especially right now since I'm not outside as much as I am during the spring/summer (I HATE the cold, so I'm a homebody during the winter.) But she said she wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make any difference in terms of my energy levels and to consider it more from a 'why not?' POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness