U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM

629 posts, read 1,600,226 times

Advertisements

Hubby started breaking out on his chest about 6 mo ago. They start out raised like a hive then fester..and then scab. They moved to his back..his scalp and his face. After not going away for a couple of months he changed his diet. No changes to rash. The itching is intense and seems worse at night. He hates the Dr but made an appointment (himself..) with our family care Dr. He was clueless. So after another month with no relief..he went to the skin clinic. Not sure but thought it was bug bites..bed bugs in particular. I didn't buy that as I haven't had any bites/rash and bed bugs wouldn't be discriminate and ignore his torso down. Hired an expert who tore our bedroom apart. Mattress off..covering ripped off underneath..newel posts unscrewed..bedside table turned over etc. Nothing! He said that 5-6 mo of them and there will be evidence. He was certain that we did not have them.

So after another month or so of it..on our own changed his shampoo/body wash to hypoallergenic. We have done this for a couple of weeks with no change. He went to the allergist yesterday..she was certain it was not an allergy but bug bites and he needed to see the dermatolgist. They got him in first thing this morning. Low and behold..she is certain it is an allergy and not bug bites. He is miserable and we honestly have no idea what to do. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM

6,569 posts, read 20,919,460 times
If its an allergy an antihistamine might help. Has he tried one yet?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM

9,387 posts, read 6,101,004 times
Ugh. I know how he feels. I've had my share of allergic rashes being the mess of allergies I am. From your description it sounds like contact dermatitis. For a persistent rash like your Hubby has, the doctor should put him on a short course of oral steroids. I know, no one want to take them and they do have some lousy side effects, but for me they're the only thing that works in this type of situation. My DDs gave me some wonderful bubble bath from Bath and Body works years ago. The resulting rash took not one but two courses of steroids to go away. It was not a happy Mother's Day.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If its an allergy an antihistamine might help. Has he tried one yet?
He takes it at night to be able to sleep. I think he has become dependent on it. We have got to find the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Ugh. I know how he feels. I've had my share of allergic rashes being the mess of allergies I am. From your description it sounds like contact dermatitis. For a persistent rash like your Hubby has, the doctor should put him on a short course of oral steroids. I know, no one want to take them and they do have some lousy side effects, but for me they're the only thing that works in this type of situation. My DDs gave me some wonderful bubble bath from Bath and Body works years ago. The resulting rash took not one but two courses of steroids to go away. It was not a happy Mother's Day.
I will have to google contact dermatitis but will say the skin clinic doc put him on the steroids..nothing.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM

42,084 posts, read 55,065,322 times
Sounds like 'shingles' to me. A qualified experienced dermatologist should be able to detect the problem.

Check this site out: http://www.zostavax.com/shingles-photos.html

Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Sounds like 'shingles' to me. A qualified experienced dermatologist should be able to detect the problem.

Check this site out: Shingles Photo Gallery
Funny you mention that. I had shingles for the first time in Sept. He came down with a rash about a month later. His doesn't burn and sting like shingles do. Also..mine went away after about 3 wks. I have wondered though. The Dermatologist today said allergic reaction. There is a shortage of them in this area so getting a second opinion will be very difficult.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM

7,776 posts, read 11,345,150 times
Skin Rash (Rashes) Types, Treatment, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Prevention - MedicineNet

Seems to be a lot of info at the link.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM

33,514 posts, read 35,439,279 times
Shingles hurts, it starts as a fluid filled blister that then ruptures and produces a sore that eventually crusts over. It follows the course of a nerve and it does not resolve and come back in different spots over a course of six months. This does not sound like that.

Contact dermatitis occurs when something you are allergic to touches the skin. For it to be contact dermatitis, something would have to touch the various areas that have the rash. Changing bath and laundry products is a good thought, but that did not work. So it is probably not contact dermatitis.

If it looks like hives when it starts, that is probably what it is. It festers and scabs due to scratching.

To me it sounds like chronic urticaria:

Personal Health: Learning to Live With Hives - NYTimes.com

Finding the cause can be very frustrating. You need to find a competent allergist. This is common enough that one with any experience has seen it. Ideally, you should go to the office when the rash first starts. Seeing a new spot can be very helpful for the doctor.

I had a mild case a few years ago. Fortunately antihistamines and steroid cream helped. It eventually just stopped happening. Mine was wherever my clothing was snug, like at the waist or the upper arm. It was also always from the waist to the neck.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,965,873 times
I feel your pain. I had some strange unexplained long lasting rashes that are intolerable. If you have pets, I might be able to help you figure it out, but first I get to emote about my experiences. My idea is at the end of this post.

The first type was hives. It took me almost 10 years to figure out I'm allergic to wasabi. These allergic reactions were never breathing or mouth swelling. It was hives all over my body lasting for 6 weeks. For each round of hives, I would be in the ER 3 to 4 times getting IV steroids within the 6 weeks.. They had me on every type of antihistamine including a few for acid reflux because they block different types of inhibitors (or some word like that). I was taking all of these pills at once.

The second type was in January. It was like what you're describing, except I didn't have scabs. Maybe a few scabbed, that's all. I had all of these bumps all over my back. They itched like mad. They were like bug bites. Not welted. Granted, I'm an expert at not itching when I have an itch. And they weren't bedbug bites for certain. They ended up spreading all over my body. I went to the dermatologist and she thought it was an allergic reaction but treated me for scabies too just in case. I also got a steroid cream to help with the allergic reaction. She was skeptical that it was scabies because it wasn't in the typical places scabies likes to be AND there was no burrowing or connecting of bites. All of my bites were far apart from each other. But she said sometimes people have scabies that doesn't present like typical scabies.

The thought of it being scabies drove me insane. My entire family was skeptical because they didn't have symptoms. I treated myself with that prescription insecticide cream. The bites kept happening but not at the same rate. So started reading up on scabies and I learned a lot about human mites (scabies) and animal mites (mange). Human mites (scabies) only live on people but they will bite pets. Vise versa for dog mites (mange). They will live on dogs but they will bite humans.

One night, my dog is licking his leg. I investigate to find he has a raw spot. I immediately took him to the emergency vet. They didn't think he had mange. He had zero symptoms of mange. But they treated him for a skin infection and for mange too----just in case based on my symptoms. If it's animal mites (manage), I had read that if you treat the pet, the human's symptoms go away in a few weeks.

Here's the thing. Medical professionals can't tell which is which. They often can't see the buggers under a microscope and if they do they can't tell what species of mite.

Low and behold, my bites stopped a couple weeks after my dog's first treatment. The treatment was like those flea treatments you apply to the dog's skin once a month. But it's one that kills everything from fleas, ticks, heartworm and mange. I think it's an Ivermectin. Instead of once a month, for mange, there are three applications that are given two weeks apart. After that, the dog goes on the regular monthly avoid fleas schedule.

The theory for why my family members didn't get this from the dog is twofold. First, I am the dog's primary caregiver. He slept with me. He cuddled under the covers on the sofa with me. We were inseparable. The dog interacts with the other family members all the time, but not at such closeness as with me. Second, I'm probably allergic to the dog mites and my family isn't.

If he hasn't been treated for scabies, I recommend you convince a doctor to do it---just in case. If you have a dog or cat, I recommend treating them for mites I'd do it all at the same time. Even if it wasn't mange that bit me, it was something most certainly that went away after the dog became a walking no-pest-strip. It's extremely unlikely that he has scabies because you would have it now too, but stranger things have happened so that's why I recommend doing both at once. It can't hurt him to do the scabies treatment.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-28-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,965,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If it looks like hives when it starts, that is probably what it is. It festers and scabs due to scratching.
Maybe but maybe not. If he is allergic to the bites, he will get hives. When the doctor did the skin scrape, my skin hived up where she scraped. I didn't hive up everywhere because I am the master of not scratching (because of what I went through with the wasabi allergy). I also wore only loose clothing and no bra to avoid bringing out the histamine. Sometimes I would scratch before I'd catch myself and I would get hives in that area. If I had a field say scratching, I would have had hives everywhere. OMG, when I took a shower or hot bath, I'd hive up. I was definitely dealing with bug bites and an allergic reaction to the bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness