U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,056,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all I need to know if perhaps I'm dealing with an infection or swimmers ear. Yesterday I woke up with what seemed like water in my ear. The whole day I tried to get it out but it never came out. It doesn't hurt or anything it's just really annoying and it feels like a bit of pressure in my ear. When I clench my face muscles I can hear a funky sound that I cannot quite describe.

I thought it would've gone away overnight but I woke up with it again only a bit less severe. I'm just glad there is no pain but its still annoying like I have done trapped water in there.

Is this an infection? Should I see a doctor? Is it just swimmers ear? This started I think from a night shower so it could be swimmers ear but I need to know the symptoms.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM

6,419 posts, read 20,309,431 times
I don't think you can get swimmer's ear from a shower...swimmer's ear has something to do with the pressure when you swim underwater. Try taking a hair dryer and pointing it in the ear to dry it!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 AM

12,597 posts, read 22,519,299 times
You can get swimmer's ear from a shower - it's just water in the ear that causes infection (regardless of how it got there). I used to get it all the time (Drs. say I have really narrow, twisty ear canals).

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM

I am also worried that its a ruptured eardrum. There's been no drainage or blood though just a slight crackling sound when I clench my face. There is no pain or itching right now just a constant annoyance that there's fluid or pressure in one ear.

How long will it take for this to heal?

Should I go to the doctor right away or would those drops suffice?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM

I just need to know if it's swimmers ear or a ruptured eardrum. I want to know if I need to just go to the local Walgreens and get some drops or not. I've read putting drops on a ruptured eardrum makes it much worse.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 AM

5,952 posts, read 8,966,512 times
Do you have a fever? If not get some swimmers ear drops from the pharmacy. Most ear infections will go away on their own without antibiotics anyway.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM

I don't have a fever but I do feel weak from getting no sleep because I was up all night thinking this was something serious and because it was annoying having this feeling that there was water in the ear I couldn't get out.

If it was an infection or something serious would I really know it? So far all it is is annoyance. Whenever I yawn it feels like a crackling pop. It's decreasing so I guess thats good.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM

10,861 posts, read 12,333,245 times
Allergies? If you have no fever, ear drainage, pain, probably not an infection. TMJ issues? You can get a tightness around ear muscles, side of jaw w/ that.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,966,512 times
If it's going away I wouldn't worry about it. Go to the pharmacy and sign to get some sudafed. The real stuff behind the counter not the new stuff they sell without signature. Damn meth heads ruined sudafed for everyone!! Take it for a few days. I wouldn't go to the doctor unless I had a fever, or I had taken sudafed for a week with no improvement. Like you said though it's getting better, so save your copay.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Allergies? If you have no fever, ear drainage, pain, probably not an infection. TMJ issues? You can get a tightness around ear muscles, side of jaw w/ that.
Well I don't know if the annoyance is the pain but it's just discomfort really. Whenever I lean on my side it feels like something is going to drain out of my ear but never does. Does fluid actually have to come out? When I act like I am chewing it feels like my ear is hollow, like when the ear is full of water and you tap your head or pretend like you're chewing.

That's why I need to know if it's an infection or a ruptured eardrum. If there is no fluid coming out and no apparent fever yet, then what could it be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness