Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Okay, so I just moved to north Georgia from Florida and I think the colder and dryer air is affecting me. I have been getting terrible chapped lips basically ever since I moved up here a little more than a week ago. It is so bad that my lips are actually fissuring! Also my eyes are burning and it hurts to use the bathroom. Not sure if it is all connected or not.

I went to the doctor and just because I am a worry wort he did some tests to see if it might be Sjodrens syndrome. I don't think it is because I am a guy and that illness 90% of the time only affects women. Also my mouth is very wet and he said a dry and bleeding mouth would be a symptom.

I think it is a body shock from being in a different climate. My worry is that it isn't getting better and it has been for over a week. I guess my body is used to the always warm and moist climate of Florida and just isn't taking this change well, but I have always been one that is quick to get chapped lips.

For now, I am making sure to stay very hydrated and putting medicine on to help. Symptoms are getting a little better today but my lips are still scabbed all over and if I even do so much as smile they will rip and bleed terribly.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Does it get better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
I use a chapstick (lip salve) daily for my lips.

As far as a burning sensation when you go to the bathroom, maybe you have a urinary tract infection.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
I haven't had my lips be quite as bad as yours, but they have always been bad. I use Vaseline several times a day in order to keep them from cracking.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
I live in Sacramento, but go to Bishop CA several times a year - a much dryer climate. Within a day or two of being there, my lips begin to chap. I usually just use chap-stick and I'm back home before it gets too bad. But I would recommend trying Bag Balm, as it seems healing as well as sealing. And you could use it on other parts of body as well. If too greasy, just apply then wipe off excess.

And, maybe try drinking some extra water, just for GP. Maybe consider adding a little baking soda to it, just for GP (it's amazing stuff).

Best!!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM

In winter I use a table top humidifier in my bedroom at night. That might help.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Not the chapped lips but my husband is from England and he gets itchy all over in the winter. We got him some moisturizing lotion that helped some and now we always keep a vaporizer going, day and night. He's been here five years and just has not adapted to the dryness, I guess.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Cold is rough on the lips. I use vaseline on mine when they are really dry. When you are exposed to cold like you are it is a good idea to stop licking your lips especially if you are outside. Winter heating dries the air in your home. You can fix this by simply putting a pot of water on the stove to boil away. I usually do that several times a week. If I pet the cats and feel static its too dry in the house.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Thank you for the suggestions everyone

Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Also keep in mind that the colder it is outside, the less moisture the air can hold. So the problem should ease once the weather warms up.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:42 PM

30,492 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I live in Sacramento, but go to Bishop CA several times a year - a much dryer climate. Within a day or two of being there, my lips begin to chap. I usually just use chap-stick and I'm back home before it gets too bad. But I would recommend trying Bag Balm, as it seems healing as well as sealing. And you could use it on other parts of body as well. If too greasy, just apply then wipe off excess.

And, maybe try drinking some extra water, just for GP. Maybe consider adding a little baking soda to it, just for GP (it's amazing stuff).

Best!!
yup-use Bag Balm. It's a slightly medicated sort of vaseline like stuff. Works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness