Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,363 times

Advertisements

Dr. Richard J. Roberts, Nobel Prize in Medicine 1993 tells a truth many don't want to hear. I dedicate this to those who like to rely a bit too much on prescription drugs, "peer reviewed studies", etc., read and learn (and maybe weep too 'cause you'd been conned):

Interview with Dr. Richard J. Roberts, Nobel Prize in Medicine

Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
And yet....

Richard Roberts, PhD is on the board of directors for one of these "for profit" firms

Developing Treatment for Spinal Cord Injuries, Neurotrauma, Paralysis | Invivo Therapeutics

One man's opinion....the opinion of a man who's bread is buttered by one of these same firms he denigrates....no agenda there I am sure

No one who reads this purported interview that has half a brain will be "weeping". Those of us without tinfoil hats seeing conspiracy theories behind every corner aren't really concerned that "Big Bad Pharma" is artificially "chronifying" (Dr Robert's term) disease to make a profit rather than cure....yeah right....

I am sure Dr. Robert's firm would NEVER do such a thing.....only those OTHER firms....

No worries though....the supplement and vitamin makers will save the day!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM

One man's opinion?! What about Gwen Olsen, an ex-pharmaceutical rep that has spoken nation-wide about this??? And there are many others whose names I can't remember now.

It would appear to me you are the one with a HUGE tinfoil hat
on your head seeing a conspiracy on the part of those who simply advocate more NATURAL treatments and want actual CURES for diseases -which makes way more sense than pumping toxic drugs into our bodies - that traditional medicine is not providing. And how you compare their research to what's really happening is beyond me. What that company is doing would seem to less prejudiced readers like seeking cures, making a real difference unlike the habit of putting a "patch" on people's illnesses so they stay "hooked" for life.

But whatever, there's no worse blind than those who don't want to see, and in your case I've got to wonder if you're one of those who actually lobby for Big Pharma, so I'd say too "one man's opinion" and an unimportant one at that because I don't suppose you can claim you're a Nobel Prize Winner...

Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Here's another one for you, of course, I suppose you're going to try to find something negative to say about him or anybody who dares speak against "Big Pharma", but anyone with a forehead wider than 2" knows that's an old dirty tactic of the guilty to discredit their oponnents...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&f...&v=s-8ItXRMPfA

Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Dr. Roberts is not a physician, so perhaps his opinion should be evaluated with that in mind.

The question is how do we want to pay for new drug research. Would you be willing to pay a tax, deducted from your paycheck, to support it? If you ran any business, would you want to invest in developing a product that would not make any money?

Concerning antibiotic research and development:

Analysis: Antibiotics crisis prompts rethink on risks, rewards | Reuters

Encouraging antibiotic research will mean looking at incentives to make companies want to do it.

On a larger scale, some conditions never will be curable. Medications for them can, however, improve quality of life --- and lengthen it. Turning a lethal condition into a chronic one is no small accomplishment. Ask many people who have lived with HIV for decades now.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheMan View Post
All the curable "drugs" are in the farm-acy (nature), not in deathcare (pharmacy).
Cute, but not really true, is it?

I have a son who has celebrated his twentieth anniversary of finishing chemotherapy for childhood leukemia. he's not here today because he munched on bits and pieces of herbs. He's here because dedicated researchers of the pharmaceutical industry and knowledgeable doctors came up with therapy that worked.

Many curative drugs have their "roots" in nature, but the substances that work are in the pharmacy, including penicillin, which still works for many infections.

Researchers still look to nature:

Frog-in-bucket-of-milk folklore leads to potential new antibiotics

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM

I also know people who have been cured from cancer "chewing herbs" like you say, but does anyone want to listen??? Nope, because the poor statistics of success for chemo and radiation "must be protected" above all else. To me they equal to trying to eliminate a pest problem with a bomb, and IMO those who survive are actually the lucky ones, the rest, like my mother, end up dying due to the aftermath of such devastating treatments.

And before you say anything, let me clarify that I'm NOT totally against "modern" medicine, it does have it good things, but just not enough to put all my faith in it now that I know BETTER, what I'd like to see is INTEGRATIVE medicine like in other parts of the world. For example, one of my sisters who lived in France told me that doctors there will prescribe herbs and other natural therapies regularly and things like Lugol's solution of iodine can be obtained at a pharmacy whereas here they are restricted with the "excuse" that iodine can be used for making street drugs.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I also know people who have been cured from cancer "chewing herbs" like you say, but does anyone want to listen??? Nope, because the poor statistics of success for chemo and radiation "must be protected" above all else. To me they equal to trying to eliminate a pest problem with a bomb, and IMO those who survive are actually the lucky ones, the rest, like my mother, end up dying due to the aftermath of such devastating treatments.

And before you say anything, let me clarify that I'm NOT totally against "modern" medicine, it does have it good things, but just not enough to put all my faith in it now that I know BETTER, what I'd like to see is INTEGRATIVE medicine like in other parts of the world. For example, one of my sisters who lived in France told me that doctors there will prescribe herbs and other natural therapies regularly and things like Lugol's solution of iodine can be obtained at a pharmacy whereas here they are restricted with the "excuse" that iodine can be used for making street drugs.
What cancer? What herbs?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Oh you mean like the natural drugs, supplements, and organic vegan diet that cured Steve Jobs? Yeah you're right - let's all do like he did.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

Anedcotal at best. Suspect is a huge understatement.

I'm calling BS on a cancer cure by "chewing herbs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oh you mean like the natural drugs, supplements, and organic vegan diet that cured Steve Jobs? Yeah you're right - let's all do like he did.
We should ask him how that's working out. Oh wait, we can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness