Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times

Advertisements

Wow. Just wow! Not only did your mom cross the line driving 150 miles an hour but your therapists' office just did a major breach of patient anonymity. Unless your mom was listed as a contact person about your health, they did an illegal thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I wish I could answer some of the question on here but truth is that I have not seen my mom since this incident or my therapist. I am on campus at university. I am incredibly stuck here as well because for those who tell me my mother has crossed the boundary, well...yeah. I am used to it. She is like this and always has been. When I argue back, she does pull the "I love you and you don't appreciate it" line. Someone mentioned she would do this and yes, they were right. For years, I spent precious getting mad at my mom and arguing with her but she refuses to change. She has done worse than this. There is NOTHING I can do other than graduate and move out. Parents come from India where they think they own their kids practically. So I know better than to waste my breath.

I am graduating end of this month. I hope I get a job in time. I have had several interviews and have some more lined up. Then I will be on my own hopefully when all is done.

The doctors assistant actually called me back saying that the receptionist alerted her something didn't seem right about that conversation and I verified to them that it was not me. Indian culture looks down upon going to therapy or seeking help from outside sources. I often told my doctors office to NOT send home those damned appointment reminders. They did and my mom found out. I told her they probably mailed that to me by accident because I did not know want her knowing I went to therapy. At the office I go to, they just ask for your date of birth to verify it is you. So my mom said she called them to cancel the appointment for me without asking me. The doctors assistant said she didn't want to bring it up to me but she thought it could be cultural.

For the people who said I am BSing, get real. Why would would I sit here creating a situation in my head? It is horribly rude to just say someone is bull****ting. You don't know my situation or what could be. Let me lay it out for those who think it is cool to just accuse someone of lying.

1) My parents are AGAINST any sort of therapy. They view it as a shame on the family honor and name.

2) Yes, I am over 18. And yes, I am on my fathers insurance.

3) Yes, people can impersonate you if they have this information. My mom knows when I was born and that is all required to make appointments and ask for medication refills.

4) My mother has always had this personality. She will not change. I can only adapt and keep myself calm. I have shed tears like no other and held on to anger and rage because of her. I have lost so much time. I was finally able to let it go. I am not going to allow myself to fall back into that vicious cycle by confronting her about this. I am fully aware of how she is.

5) HENCE WHY I created this thread. I am not sure how she got that information. My mom just called me in this panicked voice asking me "They said you were taking medication for ________ and have been since December. Is this true?" Having said this, my question is how was that even revealed? Couldn't they say "Madam if you really need to know, we would be happy to help you in person?" So if my enemy calls and confirms my bday, will she find out about my treatment history? Today it was mom, tomorrow it could be one of your posters who call them.

Get it now? Sheesh! Nothing makes me madder than people calling bull**** without knowing facts or considering there could be more.

To everyone else, I thank you. The office called me after and we rescheduled for Monday because my mother cancelled it. And I am thinking on Monday, I am going to have a long talk with them.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
A college student in Ohio went this route to protect herself from meddling parents.

Student Wins Stalking Order Against 'Overly Involved' Parents - ABC News

Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Wouldn't your parents know you're going to this doctor anyway? Doesn't your father get the Explanation of Benefits from his insurance company every time they pay a claim to the doctor?

Anyway, the only options you have are:

Sue the doctors office for a HIPPA violation

Sue your mother for invasion of privacy (I don't recommend this)

Find a new therapist and pay out of your own pocket. Once you're with this new therapist, set up a PIN number to be used if you ever call for information or appointment setting/cancelling.

Get a PO Box so your mail will be private and only accessible to you (only about $120/year at the post office --- don't use the UPS store; they charge like $50/month!)

Hurry up and graduate college, get a job, and move FAR away!

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
. Parents come from India where they think they own their kids practically.
This explains it, esp if you have an Indian accent. Hate to say it but folks often just hear the accent and nothing else. I am not putting you down--I work with ELL students and I know how much people make assumptions about our students. I'm very sorry this has happened to you and I hope you can fix it.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Unless I missed it, the op has not told us that she has said anything to the therapist or the staff or whether or not she intends to, so no lesson learned that we know of.
I should have worded that more broadly; the original post made it clear that the physician's office was informed of the problem. I assume (well, hope) that this information was relayed to the therapist, and that this will prompt them to review their policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Wouldn't your parents know you're going to this doctor anyway? Doesn't your father get the Explanation of Benefits from his insurance company every time they pay a claim to the doctor?..
This is a good question. It's likely that an EOB would be sent to the parent's home, assuming that the INS company does not have a different address for the OP. However, the EOB would probably be addressed to the OP, not the father, since she is the patient. Technically, it's illegal (or at least inappropriate) for someone to open mail that is addressed to someone else. Granted, many parents do not think twice about opening mail on behalf of an adult child who does not live in the home full-time. At any rate, the mother did not find out about it via. and EOB. Like many people, she and her father might not have reviewed the EOB carefully enough to determine that psychiatric services were being rendered. If the OP intends to continue using the father's insurance, I would think that she could get the INS company to send all EOBs to her college address.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Get it now? Sheesh! Nothing makes me madder than people calling bull**** without knowing facts or considering there could be more.

To everyone else, I thank you. The office called me after and we rescheduled for Monday because my mother cancelled it. And I am thinking on Monday, I am going to have a long talk with them.
I cannot agree more! One should assume that you are telling the truth, in absence of substantial data that suggest otherwise. You certainly deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I am happy to hear that you are willing to advocate for yourself, and I hope your conversation with them on Monday is beneficial.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
While we were all covered under my H's employee medical plan I signed up for online access. I can see every appointment made by all of us, including adult children, with the Doctors Name and date and charges. Also whenever one of us picked up an Rx , although not the medication itself.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
If your university has a law school see if they offer consults to students. You need to know your legal options and any time frames for action. Personally I would send a letter to the therapist telling her office failure to follow instructions (appointment reminder), the breach of confidentiality and that you are terminating your relationship as a result. Beyond that don't tip your hand.

The person in the office who spoke to your Mom SHOULD loose her job. You are saving other patients from her lack of judgment.

I would consider telling your mother that because of HER actions the office woman will loose her job, the therapist will be brought before the professional board and may be sued.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
"My mom called my therapists office pretending to me and found out all my private info that I didn't want her to know. "

I am over 18.

Pretty much sums it up. She found out which medications I am on. She found out what my diagnosis's were. And she was mad and upset that I going to therapy.

My question is how did the receptionist not know that it was not me? I mean yeah, it could be anyone but the info she gave out EVERY PATIENT SHOULD KNOW about themselves. And she apparently gave my mom all my appointments and prescription information dating back to December. She told her which medication I was on (only one) and what it was for. A patient would OBVIOUSLY KNOW which medication they were taking if there was one.

I am very upset right now. I want to call the management and have a word with them. Today it was my mom. Tomorrow it could be my worst enemy who wants info on me.

Apparently the receptionist realized she did something wrong because I got a phone call on my cell phone asking me if I was sure I wanted to cancel the appointment. I told them it was my mom and I don't understand how they could give out all this information over the phone. I was upset. And the lady said that she was alerted by the receptionist that something didn't seem right. If something didn't seem right, why did you give out my information?

What can I do? I don't want the receptionist in trouble but I am obviously VERY angry and concerned. There is a reason why I didn't want my parents knowing.

Whether you want to get the receptionist in trouble or not, get over it, she IS in trouble and should be fired for her actions. This is a SERIOUS BREACH of privacy as well as HIPPA which is federally mandated.

Go straight to whomever is the absolute TOP OF THIS AGENCY and write a formal written complaint and cause ALL the trouble you can over this incident.

I'm not sure if anything legally can be done to your Mother but I would look into that option as well. You are NOT a minor and it is NONE OF HER BUSINESS what you do with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness