Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM

47 posts, read 95,524 times

Advertisements

Did your father ever find out the cause? it seems like once you have these you are destined to have more through out your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
Yes, a "mini stroke" is serious. It is often precedes a real stroke (permanent). You should keep the follow up they recommended since they may recommend further testing at that point.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM

injecting 120mg of lovenox a day. seems like a higher does than other people I know who have taken it.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
The follow up with neuro may be the begining of a more in-depth search for the causes of your symptoms. We see people with TIAS (transient ischemic attacks) where I work and sometimes, if there is no lasting damage they get referred to a neurologist for a more in-depth work up to find the causes. Do what your doctor says and the aspirin is to keep your blood thinned in order to reduce the chances of another blood clot from causing yet another TIA or full blown stroke. If you are not already on statins your doctor may put you on one depending on what he/she finds as well as blood pressure meds. Again follow your doctor's directions and definitely keep your appointment with neurology.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM

wouldnt that show up on a MRI? I had more attacks and my MRI was clear. They sent me home and I am still having spasms and slurring. I cant believe the ER sent me home but they did. They said I was not having a stroke or a seizure. I mean wtf??? I roll over in bed and I feel my leg get weak and spasm, my arm and hand spasm and my face pushes up and I slur. this last for 2 minutes. I am stuck in bed or a chair.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StixZadinia View Post
wouldnt that show up on a MRI? I had more attacks and my MRI was clear. They sent me home and I am still having spasms and slurring. I cant believe the ER sent me home but they did. They said I was not having a stroke or a seizure. I mean wtf??? I roll over in bed and I feel my leg get weak and spasm, my arm and hand spasm and my face pushes up Didand I slur. this last for 2 minutes. I am stuck in bed or a chair.
I certainly hope you have seen either your primary care doctor or another doctor by now. obviously you are scared and have reason to be. You need to see if you can not find out the source of your problems. Normally ER will attempt to admit patients that seem to be really having emergency situations, but if all the tests came back normal about all they will do is give you instructions to follow up with your doctor. I am certainly not a doctor but do know a little about TSIs. If you are still having problems it sounds like it might be something totally different. Normally the systems after a TSI go away about as fast as they come on. You really need to see someone asap.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
The follow up with neuro may be the begining of a more in-depth search for the causes of your symptoms. We see people with TIAS (transient ischemic attacks) where I work and sometimes, if there is no lasting damage they get referred to a neurologist for a more in-depth work up to find the causes. Do what your doctor says and the aspirin is to keep your blood thinned in order to reduce the chances of another blood clot from causing yet another TIA or full blown stroke. If you are not already on statins your doctor may put you on one depending on what he/she finds as well as blood pressure meds. Again follow your doctor's directions and definitely keep your appointment with neurology.
A TIA by definition is transient- ie there are no residual effects and most of the time symptoms resolve in 20 minutes. If there is a residual weakness in the leg like the OP is describing then this is a stroke- albeit maybe a small one.

However- a clear MRI scan and this
I roll over in bed and I feel my leg get weak and spasm, my arm and hand spasm and my face pushes up and I slur. this last for 2 minutes. I am stuck in bed or a chair.

as the OP is describing it doesn't sound like the weakness and slurred speech are there all the time.

I strongly urge the OP to get to see a cardiologist and am a little worried that they have started a blood thinner without a real diagnosis. I wonder who is managing the blood thinning therapy?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,542 times
I have had episodes of weakness (limp) in each arm I had to stop what I was doing and rest I'm worried as I do have anxiety attacks and also being treated for depression' could it be heart related or just effects of anxiety' I'm experiencing it again today on my inner left arm at the join it feels heavy and tired some advice would be helpful

Kind Regards

Anonymous

Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I have cervical spurs that cut the circulation in my arms if I raise my hands above waist level. My arms feel "heavy" as they go dead. It may not be what you have as it only happens when I raise my arms.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I described a couple of incidents to my doctor months or years later, and he told me those were mini-strokes. He told me to take mini-aspirins and handed me a bill for an office call. That was ten years ago and I haven't had once since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness