Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,158,625 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently started jogging/running on a treadmill at the gym to mitigate a minor medical issue. That's been resolved, but I've found that I really enjoy it. I hated running in high school, but maybe it was because I was forced to do it while now I'm doing it on my own accord. Anyway, I would like to keep at it since I've been feeling much better physically. My only concern is the effect it could have on my joints. I read a few articles that suggest studies don't show a correlation with running and joint problems, but it's still a concern of mine. Logically the benefits outweigh the potential negatives, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,480,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I've found that I really enjoy it.

You actually enjoy running OR do you enjoy the feeling of the workout? If the latter, consider something like swimming or cycling which are easier on your body. Or, an elliptical machine if you want to join a gym. Running is one of the more high impact aerobic activities. Of course it is is more likely to give you joint or back or foot or knee or hip or ankle or dog bite problems compared to many other aerobic activities.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
You actually enjoy running OR do you enjoy the feeling of the workout?
Probably both. I don't know, I like the routine and running while listening to music. I'll have to mix it up and take up the elliptical and swimming.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM

182 posts, read 474,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Hello,

I recently started jogging/running on a treadmill at the gym to mitigate a minor medical issue. That's been resolved, but I've found that I really enjoy it. I hated running in high school, but maybe it was because I was forced to do it while now I'm doing it on my own accord. Anyway, I would like to keep at it since I've been feeling much better physically. My only concern is the effect it could have on my joints. I read a few articles that suggest studies don't show a correlation with running and joint problems, but it's still a concern of mine. Logically the benefits outweigh the potential negatives, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

One thing that will help protect your joints is getting a quality running shoe and replacing at least once a year (some of my friends replace theirs every 6 months). I would suggest going to a good shoe store (I love New Balance) where they actually examine your foot (size, pronation, pressure points, etc.) and recommend the best shoe. They may be pricey (my last pair of walking shoes was $130 and my wife running shoes were $120), but you're body will thank you in the long run.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,480,540 times
Whatever you do, if you're going to run, please don't be a moron who runs in the street WITH TRAFFIC when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available. This, while running into the sun (blinding drivers coming from behind you) while wearing headphones (preventing you from hearing the drivers), and pushing a baby carriage (so the driver can kill both you and your kids while he's texting).

Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
One thing that will help protect your joints is getting a quality running shoe and replacing at least once a year (some of my friends replace theirs every 6 months). I would suggest going to a good shoe store (I love New Balance) where they actually examine your foot (size, pronation, pressure points, etc.) and recommend the best shoe. They may be pricey (my last pair of walking shoes was $130 and my wife running shoes were $120), but you're body will thank you in the long run.
Thanks, I'll have to look into good shoes and shop around.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,929,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
I can't stress enough how true this is.

I was having issues with feet and knees before going and getting my run evaluated. Getting the right, quality shoes cleared up the issues and made all the difference.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 AM

145 posts, read 357,251 times
what about running on the treadmill compared to doing it outside on a running track? What I learned is not to overdue it and to keep a good jogging speed. I had to tell myself that I was jogging not running. For 40 minutes there is no reason to be doing it at the speed of 8 mph, so I stick with my average speed which is 6.8.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:29 AM

927 posts, read 2,458,995 times
I've been running almost daily for the past 8 years, have completed 6 full marathons and 20 half marathons. I've had small injuries, aches, and pains here and there but for the most part, I've still been going strong. Cycling and swimming don't give me the same "high" that running does.

Get good shoes, stick on dirt paths/treadmills, listening to your body. You'll be fine.

Enjoy those endorphins!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 AM

145 posts, read 357,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I've been running almost daily for the past 8 years, have completed 6 full marathons and 20 half marathons. I've had small injuries, aches, and pains here and there but for the most part, I've still been going strong. Cycling and swimming don't give me the same "high" that running does.

Get good shoes, stick on dirt paths/treadmills, listening to your body. You'll be fine.

Enjoy those endorphins!

is there certain foods you eat to make the bones stronger, any advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness