Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times

Advertisements

Some also want to see how you may cope with a health problem,possible dx or treatments. I know when I was looking at getting an scs implant in my spine you even had to go for a psych evaluation. I also wonder with some chronic conditions if they can't figure out a dx if some doctors like to suggest it being a mental issue and for some it may not and some I guess it may. I cant say for sure but I don't think your insurance would find out from the forms only if you were to see a psych etc and use your health insurance. I dont think they can tell your employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:12 AM

90 posts, read 311,785 times
My concern is that your therapist just didn't want to deal with the hassle of billing insurance. Different companies pay at different rates.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
All they have to ask is what drugs you are taking. Period.
I agree, as doctors they should know what those "medicines" are for. I think if I were asked the same question as OP from a doctor I would just say NO.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
Can they notify my employer? My last therapist told me it isn't a good idea to use health insurance for mental health, something about they can deny you in the future or something like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie02 View Post
My concern is that your therapist just didn't want to deal with the hassle of billing insurance. Different companies pay at different rates.
A doctor cannot notify your employer, as that would be a breech of confidentiality.

Not a good idea to use health insurance for mental health??!! What is that about?

I agree with Maggie, my concern likewise.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
As mentioned just to get an overall picture, but if you are concerned about privacy, which you should be, then just mention it verbally and ask them not to put it in your chart unless necessary.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Asking what medicines you are taking NOW, is not the same as knowing what you may be taking in the future because of your mental status.

A good doctor needs to know what the problems may be. It's a surprise to a lot of patients to find out that certain medications can make other physical problems worse.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
Going to see a kidney doctor today, on the form one of the questions is if I have a psychiatric problem which I interpret as a mental disorder, which I do. I was professionally diagnosed by a psychologist with a dissociative disorder, dissociative disorder not otherwise specified is the specific name for my mental disorder, it just means that I didn't meet the diagnosis for Depersonalization disorder since I have more symptoms, but why would a kidney doctor want to know this? What can they do with this information? Are they going to contact my health insurance about it? I never used or plan to use my health insurance for mental health. Can they notify my employer? I don't get it. Should I even put that on the form? My last therapist told me it isn't a good idea to use health insurance for mental health, something about they can deny you in the future or something like that
Doctors ask all these questions to cover themselves from future malpractice litigation. Nothing is worse than being on a witness stand and having someone ask you a question about a patient and you have no knowledge of the condition. It makes you look inept and incompetent. So they try to find out as much as possible about you.

If you feel that it does not impact your kidney health at all, I would not mention it. But that is just me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Asking what medicines you are taking NOW, is not the same as knowing what you may be taking in the future because of your mental status.

A good doctor needs to know what the problems may be. It's a surprise to a lot of patients to find out that certain medications can make other physical problems worse.
It's downright silly for a doctor to worry about what a patient MIGHT take in the future. The prescribing doctor bases new prescriptions on what is currently being taken. A future prescribing doctor bases new prescriptions on what is currently taken. Meaning whatever the first physician prescribes will be taken into consideration by a different doctor in the future IF new medication is added.

Anyone who cares about their health should be getting their prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy so the pharmacist can alert them to any potential complications. The pharmacist is truly the authority on this more than any doctor because it's the pharmacist's specialty. Build a relationship with your pharmacist and consider him/her your second line of defense.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
My experience has been---they seldom even bother to look at the drugs a patient takes. I take 7 RX on a routine basis, and 3 on a contigency basis. I fill out all the forms completely, and you can tell from the way they talk they've never even looked at it! Allergies are another on their "ignore" list. I AM allergic to penicillian. Really, I am! I always list it, but they usually just ignore it. I had a nurse almost inject me with Augmenten via IV in an ER, I stopped her and asked what is that drug? she acted like I was some silly kid being out of line, and said "its something the doctor wants you to have". I said WHAT IS IT? turned out it was Augmentin, a form of penicillian. She still argued, well if doctor prescribed it, it must be ok. I think not!

The reason they ask about mental health issues is to CTA. Like another poster said, they just need to know what drugs, not why. they seldom bother to pay attention to any of the information you give them, anyhow!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
What's CTA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness