Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 AM

145 posts, read 358,717 times

Advertisements

Going to see a kidney doctor today, on the form one of the questions is if I have a psychiatric problem which I interpret as a mental disorder, which I do. I was professionally diagnosed by a psychologist with a dissociative disorder, dissociative disorder not otherwise specified is the specific name for my mental disorder, it just means that I didn't meet the diagnosis for Depersonalization disorder since I have more symptoms, but why would a kidney doctor want to know this? What can they do with this information? Are they going to contact my health insurance about it? I never used or plan to use my health insurance for mental health. Can they notify my employer? I don't get it. Should I even put that on the form? My last therapist told me it isn't a good idea to use health insurance for mental health, something about they can deny you in the future or something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
Going to see a kidney doctor today, on the form one of the questions is if I have a psychiatric problem which I interpret as a mental disorder, which I do. I was professionally diagnosed by a psychologist with a dissociative disorder, dissociative disorder not otherwise specified is the specific name for my mental disorder, it just means that I didn't meet the diagnosis for Depersonalization disorder since I have more symptoms, but why would a kidney doctor want to know this? What can they do with this information? Are they going to contact my health insurance about it? I never used or plan to use my health insurance for mental health. Can they notify my employer? I don't get it. Should I even put that on the form? My last therapist told me it isn't a good idea to use health insurance for mental health, something about they can deny you in the future or something like that
All these doctors anymore ask that question. I just took my young adult sons to a new dentist and they asked a few questions along that line. I think they are just trying to get an overall knowledge of their new patient. I don't think they will do anything with that information.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 04-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Probably because many medications people need for various psychiatric disorders have side effects that involve the kidney. And some medications that treat the kidney, have side effects and contraindications with medicines for psychiatric disorders.

So even if you're not currently being medicated for those psych problems, you have the psych problems, which means it's likely that you will be medicated for them at some point in the future. A kidney doctor needs to know that, because he needs to know what he might be dealing with in the future, not just what he's dealing with this particular moment. His treatment and/or recommendations for your kidney problem might be different, if he knows that you're a likely candidate for a kidney-affecting psych med.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Probably because many medications people need for various psychiatric disorders have side effects that involve the kidney. And some medications that treat the kidney, have side effects and contraindications with medicines for psychiatric disorders.

So even if you're not currently being medicated for those psych problems, you have the psych problems, which means it's likely that you will be medicated for them at some point in the future. A kidney doctor needs to know that, because he needs to know what he might be dealing with in the future, not just what he's dealing with this particular moment. His treatment and/or recommendations for your kidney problem might be different, if he knows that you're a likely candidate for a kidney-affecting psych med.
That doesn't explain why all doctors have these questions on their forms, not just kidney doctors.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
My allergist and pulmonologist want to know as some of them block histamine (couldn't have skin testing) or can affect asthma and meds.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 17,111 times
They most likely asked because as a doctor, I know it is always better to see the whole picture, even if it seems as if it wouldn't matter. Many different prescriptions can have side effects with other medicines, and sometimes they can end up effecting parts of your body, like your kidneys. It is very important to never lie to your doctor. They will never judge you or look down on you for having a problem whether it is physiological or not. Many times, telling the truth can end up saving your life! Good luck!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That doesn't explain why all doctors have these questions on their forms, not just kidney doctors.

I think it does actually. Drug interaction. Could be any drug from any doctor (ENT, cardiologist, etc).

There also might be liability concerns. Doctors are always looking to not get sued. Their malpractice insurance may require it. Ever notice you have to fill out 20 different forms which ask the same information over and over and over again? And they always want your SSN (which I never give to them).

I sometimes have fun on doctor's forms:

For Marital Status M D S W, I write "Swinger"
For Occupation I write "Power Loafer".
For age (when it is right next to birth date) I write "Today's Date - birth date"

Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_valley_urgentcare View Post
Many different prescriptions can have side effects with other medicines, and sometimes they can end up effecting parts of your body, like your kidneys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it does actually. Drug interaction. Could be any drug from any doctor (ENT, cardiologist, etc).
All they have to ask is what drugs you are taking. Period.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
A complete medical history taken by ANY physician, PA or NP should include all aspects of the patient's health history: Medical, Surgical, Psychiatric, Family, Social.....

Doesn't matter whether that provider is in Family Practice or a Sub Specialty....

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I think a doctor or dentist that knows that his new patient has some serious mental health problems will take more care in the way that he/she deals with the patient. I have 3 sons that all have Aspergers (a form of autism). They all just recently began being cared for by a new dentist. There were those kinds of questions on the paperwork I filled out for them. They talked to me about my sons and discovered that they all have a very low tolerance to pain, can get very agitated under stressful situations and do not function emotionally on the same level as others their same age. That being said we agreed for them to each take low dose Valium to get through their appointments, and that worked out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness