Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times

Advertisements

I'm 5-9. I have short legs and a long torso. I noticed most people have proper proportioned legs to torso length. My father also had short legs and a long torso. Another issue for short legged, long torso people is we tend to gain weight in our midsection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
No, it's not a birth defect. LOL You just have a long torso, and you inherited it from your father's side of the family.

I'm long waisted, but my torso and my legs are the same length. Most people have longer legs and a short or average torso.

I love being long waisted. Everyone thinks I'm skinnier than I am. Svelte is a good word to describe me.

Granted, my legs aren't short. Maybe that's why I'm not hung up on having a long torso.

The only problem I have had is buying shirts long enough, but current fashions over the past decade have made that much easier.

We do tend to gain weight in the midsection, but the solution to that is not gaining weight.

Midsection weight has a higher risk of heart problems than other types of weight so it's important to maintain weight.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Chances are it's a genetic thing but I suppose there is a point where you tip over into a birth defect. I doubt very much that you fit that though as there would be other things going on.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
It's genetic, just like some people have long arms or legs.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I know what you mean, I wear 31x30 pants and have a long torso, I wish my legs were 2 inches longer. LOL

Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know what you mean, I wear 31x30 pants and have a long torso, I wish my legs were 2 inches longer. LOL
You must be built like my husband. He's taller than me sitting down. I'm taller than him standing up. But I promise you that it's not noticeable at all (unless you're 6' tall with size 30' length pants). As a matter of fact, I've been married to him for 20 years and only realized he was taller than me sitting down a few years ago. I definitely have long legs even though I'm long waisted.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 65,816 times
(unless you're 6' tall with size 30' length pants).... That's me! Only worse... It sucks. Buying ties that are long enough is impossible. I have to tie my ties so the inside part is like 2 inches long so the front part goes past my belly button. Even then it's noticeable that my tie is too short. I get 30" pants and have to hem them. Actual inseam is 28".... I am 6'1" tall. In cars my head hits the roof. I buy tall shirts, coats and such and that helps. But can't find long ties.

Last edited by MatManOTB; 01-21-2016 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Misspelled a word...

Old 01-21-2016, 01:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatManOTB View Post
(unless you're 6' tall with size 30' length pants).... That's me! Only worse... It sucks. Buying ties that are long enough is impossible. I have to tie my ties so the inside part is like 2 inches long so the front part goes past my belly button. Even then it's noticeable that my tie is too short. I get 30" pants and have to hem them. Actual inseam is 28".... I am 6'1" tall. In cars my head hits the roof. I buy tall shirts, coats and such and that helps. But can't find long ties.
You can buy extra long ties. Here's a couple sites that sell them. https://www.thetiebar.com/ties?length=63-inch https://www.bows-n-ties.com/extra-long-ties/

My husband has a long torso and a very thick neck, so we had to solve the tie issue. Sometimes you can get by with a regular length tie and a less complicated knot, but for some knots like the windsor, you really have to find a longer tie to pull it off if you've got a long torso.

You can also get ties altered to add some length to the narrow end of the tie in such a way that it's invisible, but it's easier just to order the right length.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatManOTB View Post
you are worse than hubby: In his younger days he was 5'11" about and really needed 29 inch pants and had 38 inch waste and yes, the long torso but had no ass. He was built more like his mom in a man's body though. He has always had trouble finding clothes that fit right. And to the OP who is long gone by now, it certainly isn't a birth defect in anyway.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:26 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
It's definitely a birth defect, Daddy Short Legs Syndrome, haha. I'm curious as to how you determine if you have short or long legs. What's the average for someone 5'8" like me? My inseam is about 29, the same as my dad, but he's 5'11" so I'd think he would have short legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness