Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,832 times

Advertisements

I'd love help understanding my eng/caloric testing results, if anyone speaks the lingo. I know I have BPPV, and I understand that, but I'm trying to make sense of the other findings related to central stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers8flowers View Post
I'd love help understanding my eng/caloric testing results, if anyone speaks the lingo. I know I have BPPV, and I understand that, but I'm trying to make sense of the other findings related to central stuff.
I can decipher if you wish. It's probably best to ask the audiologist who performed the ENG or your doctor who referred you for the testing, but if you have questions I can try to help.

Just based on your diagnosis of BPPV, I'm guessing you had a positive Dix Hallpike and everything else was normal? Or did your calorics reveal a unilateral weakness?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Hi,

Yes, I had a positive Dix Hallpike. I also had 16% unilateral weakness w/ 4% preponderance & nystagmus on down gaze. I think that's all, but the tester said "Also had findings for central nervous system pathology." But she also said "negative for central and peripheral vestibular pathology" and "will hold off on balance rehabilitation for central vertigo."

My questions are:

Is central vestibular different than central nervous system?
What does the weakness mean, and is 16% insignificant?
What causes nystagmus in a down gaze?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Okay, the Hallpike is the definitive test for BPPV, so that makes sense, but which one was positive? Head right or head left, or both (unlikely)? If it's head right, then the BPPV is in your right ear; if it was head left then the left ear is the culprit.

A 16% unilateral weakness is not significant, but which ear is the weakness in? Is it the same ear as the BPPV (I would guess that it's likely the same ear)? Just for reference, greater than 25% is considered to be significant. The directional preponderance is also insignificant. True pathologic nystagmus on downward gaze is very rare. Without seeing it, I would venture to guess that yours is not significant if there were no other central findings, which it doesn't sound like there is. Does it state what the slow-phase velocity (SPV) of the downward gaze nystagmus is? If it's less than 6 degrees/second I would definitely not worry about it. This should be measured if they are reporting it as a positive finding. Also, was this finding noted during eyes open or eyes closed testing? It should state what the conditions were when the downward gaze nystagmus was noted (i.e., "A downward beating nystagmus with an SPV of 8 deg/second was noted during gaze testing with eyes closed"... something like that).

These statements are contradictory:
Quote:
the tester said "Also had findings for central nervous system pathology." But she also said "negative for central and peripheral vestibular pathology"
Either there IS central pathology or there isn't. What findings are they considering that point to central nervous system pathology? Perhaps they are referencing the downward gaze nystagmus? I'm not sure.

ENG or VNG testing is performed to lateralize which side is causing the symptoms and also to differentiate between central and peripheral pathologies. Central pertains to things such as space occupying lesions in the brain or degenerative diseases of the brain such as MS... anything pertaining to the brain. Peripheral refers to the vestibular structures of the inner ear or auditory cranial nerve. Those can include BPPV, Meniere's disease, or labyrinthitis. Peripheral can also be referred to as peripheral vestibular, such as in your report. Peripheral vestibular is the opposite of central, if that makes sense. There is no such thing as central vestibular.

Based on the information you've supplied, it doesn't sound to me like you have central vertigo. You have peripheral vestibular vertigo secondary to BPPV. BPPV is very easily treated with vestibular rehabilitation, usually performed by audiologists or physical therapists specially trained in vestibular rehab. I would request this if I were you as it has a very high success rate. Central vertigo is rarely treated with balance rehabilitation other than to help the patient learn to compensate.

Just a disclaimer... I am NOT attempting to give medical advice over the internet. I am only interpreting the information you've provided and I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, but it sounds to me like all you've got going on is BPPV.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks, AuDiBelle! It does help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness