Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

Oh, I know it's crazy. I met someone that was on a cruise and started having neuro. problems, then bells palsy...which I have also had. The dr's on the cruise said, we think you have Lyme disease and put her on antibiotics right away. This was a couple yrs ago and she has been mostly fine ever since. That was on a cruise and they had more insight!!!!

Other thing is, not every tick carries Lyme so if someone is bit it doesn't even mean they have Lyme. Not all ticks carry the same co-infections like Bartonella, Babesia and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever to name a few.

This is why it's important for people to have the info.....the correct info., know the signs and go to dr's that have the additional eductaion to know what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
A good time to remind everyone about all the diseases ticks can transmit. In your post Rapture you did mention Rocky Mountain spotted Fever and in our area that is more prevalent and sadly more deadly. I am being observed as I write this just in case because I did find a tick attached to my neck and thought it was a mole so it was there for a couple of days. This scares me to death but they say most tick bites do not carry diseases although you may have some bad reactions. I'm waiting for a couple of weeks before I decide if I need a blood work up but so far my Dr thinks I'm ok. Problem is my mind!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
A good time to remind everyone about all the diseases ticks can transmit. In your post Rapture you did mention Rocky Mountain spotted Fever and in our area that is more prevalent and sadly more deadly. I am being observed as I write this just in case because I did find a tick attached to my neck and thought it was a mole so it was there for a couple of days. This scares me to death but they say most tick bites do not carry diseases although you may have some bad reactions. I'm waiting for a couple of weeks before I decide if I need a blood work up but so far my Dr thinks I'm ok. Problem is my mind!
Please don't wait. Your dr "thinks" you're ok but thats a guess and it's your body. It doesn't hurt to get the test but more importantly, I would insist on a month of doxy. Unless you are allergic or have bad reactions to antibiotics, it can't hurt to be proactive. I am not a dr but believe me, living 7 yrs with this and reading probably thousands of hours on it, don't take chances especially if you don't have to. No reason to panic or think the worse, just better safe than sorry. By the way, a couple wks of no symptoms means nothing. A lot of people see symptoms months or even years later. These diseases can lay dormant and come up later. If your dr doesn't listen to you, especially if you do start having symptoms, please don't let them tell you it's nothing or worse andf tell you it's in your head.
Other Co-Infections - Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Good luck and please take care of yourself.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Not to worry...I am a caregiver for my DH with ALS and can not afford to have any kind of problems so I will be very proactive in regards to this situation. I plan on have a blood work up within the next week. I have no problems with antibiotics so that is a good thing. Thank you for the reminder of not letting others like the Dr's decide what "I" think is best fore me! I have enough problems going on in my life right now so no need to add to the anxiety! This next week is so busy with company so maybe next week and they told me the test would not be accurate until several weeks after the tick bite?? That scares me to wait several weeks...just take the antibiotic and be safe.....So again, probably next week---I will post to let you know the results....

Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Sounds crazy, but I'm thankful I live in Connecticut - home of the name of Lyme Disease (after Old Lyme and Lyme, towns in which three cases were identified in the 1970's). Because of the infamy, physicians here know to be especially watchful for it, and know what to look for, and how to educate their patients.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Not to worry...I am a caregiver for my DH with ALS and can not afford to have any kind of problems so I will be very proactive in regards to this situation. I plan on have a blood work up within the next week. I have no problems with antibiotics so that is a good thing. Thank you for the reminder of not letting others like the Dr's decide what "I" think is best fore me! I have enough problems going on in my life right now so no need to add to the anxiety! This next week is so busy with company so maybe next week and they told me the test would not be accurate until several weeks after the tick bite?? That scares me to wait several weeks...just take the antibiotic and be safe.....So again, probably next week---I will post to let you know the results....
Here is a good link also for you to review:

TOP TEN TIPS TO PREVENT CHRONIC LYME DISEASE

Yes, sometimes test are false/positive or false/negative. it's frustrating and it's another problem thats caused by the cdc/government/politics involved has not allowed for proper testing to be developed. There's a great documentary, if interested: Under Our Skin on youtube and I think hulu that explains the issues with all this. They have a new doc being produced. Anyway, I'm so glad you are doing something. This is exactly the reason for my op, to hopefully help someone from a nightmare, not to mention thousands of dollars in medical care! Make sure they do a western blot and test for co-infections when testing. It's not a big deal, so better safe than sorry.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sounds crazy, but I'm thankful I live in Connecticut - home of the name of Lyme Disease (after Old Lyme and Lyme, towns in which three cases were identified in the 1970's). Because of the infamy, physicians here know to be especially watchful for it, and know what to look for, and how to educate their patients.
Yes, better there where if you do end up with a problem, there are more dr's that have a clue. I belong to a couple support groups and people on them from all over the world. A lot of those countries follow USA cdc guidelines so many of them suffering also. I just met a woman in the UK who is in her 20's and in a wheelchair from Lyme. She has to travel to Germany where they have better guidelines so she can get help but she is so in debt from trying to get help at home, she has a hard time going to Germany because of funds.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Article by Michael Spector in New Yorker magazine on Lyme:

Michael Specter: The Growing Battle Over How to Treat Lyme Disease : The New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by article excerpt
(quoting David Roth]“Somebody can get ill and not know what it is and the symptoms get worse and worse. Two years or more later, they can learn that they have Lyme.
Moderator cut: 1-2 sentences and link

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-27-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Article by Michael Spector in New Yorker magazine on Lyme:

Michael Specter: The Growing Battle Over How to Treat Lyme Disease : The New Yorker
Thank you for posting this, it's a great article. I'm almost 3 months into my IV treatment and for the first time in a couple yrs have been able to stay out of bed for a few hours a day and I've had much less pain. I hope people read this, educate themselves and take preventative measures to avoid Lyme disease.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm almost 3 months into my IV treatment and for the first time in a couple yrs have been able to stay out of bed for a few hours a day and I've had much less pain.
I'm glad to hear you're starting to feel better. It's a slow process, but it's great news that you're heading in the right direction.

Please keep your fingers crossed for my basset hound. He was tested for Lyme's today. I should have the results tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness